How to increase Amazon sales

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by GTL, Jan 26, 2018.

1. GTL

GTL UKBF Regular Free Member

164 27
    I see a very small amount of goods online but would like to sell more.

I use Amazon FBA plus ebay and a 3rd party platform.

In retail, the food products I sell are doing very well. They go on the shelf, people buy them, like them and buy more. It's great.

But online I cannot fathom. The FBA orders I get from Amazon are too small to justify sending. But I would like to work to increase this. I just let the PO's come in, and leave then till they expire. I am uncomfortable with this as in theory I understand the sales opportunities via this platform to be very good.

Question is, what can I do to increase sales on the platform? Are there methodologies or does it come down to advertising?

I have toyed with my own website but, frankly, with everything else going on I am not in a position to focus on this. But perhaps I should be. (comments welcome).

I would like to ask about ebay too, but figure it is best taking things 1 step at a time and dealing with amazon first.

Some ideas would be welcome please!

Posted: Jan 26, 2018 By: GTL Member since: Sep 18, 2017
  2. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,266 567
    What are you selling?

Posted: Jan 26, 2018 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  3. GTL

164 27
    Food products (premium/gourmet biscuits, sweet and savoury, top end). Possibly other stuff too, but I would like to get it right first with these.

4. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

12,435 1,313
    What advertising are you currently doing for the amazon products and do you share the pages with any other seller?

Oh and whats a PO in this context?

Posted: Jan 26, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  5. GTL

164 27
    PO - Purchase Order........

No advertising, no sharing. Though i do want to put other products on my vendor page once I have understood the basics.

6. GraemeL

GraemeL Pain in the neck? Full Member - Verified Business

5,024 1,075
    Getting the keywords right on Amazon is critically important. Its not mystical like SEO.
    Try searching for Gourmet biscuits - do yours appear?
    What would a potential customer call each of your products? Have you got those words in your Amazon keywords?

Posted: Jan 26, 2018 By: GraemeL Member since: Sep 7, 2011
  7. GTL

164 27
    Thanks for the comments and help to date.

No, heavens no, they don't appear.

Is there a decent starter's guide anyone is aware of?

8. billmccallum1957

billmccallum1957 UKBF Ace Full Member

1,893 401
    To offer any advice, the first thing I would do is look at your products and see what you are offering your customers...but I cant.

Posted: Jan 26, 2018 By: billmccallum1957 Member since: Feb 11, 2016
  9. GraemeL

GraemeL Pain in the neck? Full Member - Verified Business

5,024 1,075
    Starters guide
    1) Decide what search terms your potential customers will use to look for each of your products
    2) Include these as 'Keywords'. You can fit a lot of words in the 5 sections that Amazon provide you with for search terms
    :)

Posted: Jan 26, 2018 By: GraemeL Member since: Sep 7, 2011
  10. Mr D

12,435 1,313
    Advertising the pages would probably help. Your products with low sales will appear low in search results.
    Your product has plenty of competition on other pages? You have to overcome the problem of being on a page without other sellers by doing all the work yourself.
    Getting noticed, how many customers will go through multiple pages of search to find you? Advertise and the customer goes to that page for your product. May still not buy but the product page is in front of them. The start for any ecommerce sale.

Posted: Jan 26, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  11. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Ace Free Member

2,351 589
    Amazon only send POs if you are one of their suppliers....but you're speaking of FBA. So what are you...

1. An Amazon supplier.
    2. An Amazon seller via FBA?
    3. Both?

Posted: Jan 27, 2018 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  12. GTL

164 27
    Good question. my understanding is an amazon seller via fba.

Posted: Jan 27, 2018 By: GTL Member since: Sep 18, 2017
  13. Mr D

12,435 1,313
    So what exactly are you cancelling? The point of FBA is that you send the stock to amazon and your involvement is basically over - they deal with orders, they send items out, they deal with returns.
    eg send a stock of 100 BB8 robots to amazon and when they receive an order they send one out.

Posted: Jan 27, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  14. GTL

164 27
    Me? I m not cancelling anything. I just let the PO's (from Amazon) come, and don't bother fulfilling, because I don't make money on it, quantities are too small and occasionally amazon claim for a damaged parcel (which none of my retail customers have in 18 months of trading). The cancellations are automated. There is no point fulfilling at a loss (unless there is firm confidence that sales will grow) and taking the risk that amazon will deduct for damages when it is more than likely they are not damaged.

My point is that, as I hope people can see, I have almost zero knowledge of selling via amazon. I don't even know, until @Pish_Pash kindly pointed out that there were different ways of selling. I have business account, thought it was FBA and that was that.

The whole point of this post was to ask how I should look to drive sales on the platform. I have been too busy last year to do this; but this year I want to focus much more on online sales, with a bent towards Amazon, because I believe there is scope to grow sales.

@billmccallum1957 I don't want to put the brand name on here, but happy to PM you this as long as you keep it confidential You might get case or two of them if you can help/steer me in the right direction!

Perhaps I need to start the whole Amazon selling thing again, from scratch....

15. Mr D

12,435 1,313
    So are you using FBA or are you a vendor?
    FBA you won't have POs, amazon already has the stock and they send it out - then pay you. You can sit at the seaside and not log in for a week and they'll process all the orders for you and handle customer service.

16. GTL

164 27
    Well, this is the thing. I don't know. ( i thought I did when @Pish_Pash asked).

How do I find out?

The way it works for me is that I get PO's from Amazon right - an order for x cases of this and that. These are not PO's for consumers. The stock supposedly goes in and Amazon pays me for the stock. The products are on the Amazon platform under the Brand name. I don't deal with individual orders from amazon customers. i just supposedly send in bulk stock for amazon, which are sold on and fulfilled by Amazon, under the biscuit brand name.

Does that answer?

17. Mr D

12,435 1,313
    Yes. You are not FBA.
    You are a vendor. Very different thing.

18. Page

Page UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,554 265
    I am very impressed that you have no idea what your arrangement is with them

But yes you are a vendor

You sell to amazon - they can then do what they want with it - including chuck it in the bin

But you will still get paid

Posted: Jan 27, 2018 By: Page Member since: Jul 28, 2007
  19. GTL

164 27
    Okay, thanks.

20. billmccallum1957

billmccallum1957 UKBF Ace Full Member

1,893 401
    [QUOTE="

@billmccallum1957 I don't want to put the brand name on here, but happy to PM you this as long as you keep it confidential You might get case or two of them if you can help/steer me in the right direction!.[/QUOTE]

Feel free to PM me some info, but I don't see why people don't want to tell others who they are or what they sell, especially when asking for advice on how to increase sales.

Personally, I don't use UKBF as a sales platform, we use Facebook for that as we a micro-local retail operation, we don't get customers coming forty or fifty miles to visit our shops, but when I sell nationally on Ebay, I always let people know where we are and gives all our contact details.

Posted: Jan 27, 2018 By: billmccallum1957 Member since: Feb 11, 2016