Are UK web designers too expensive...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't say so, being a Web Designer myself. I am not the most expensive but then again I am not the cheapest but I can guarantee I will provide a great service :)

I think it really depends on people's expectations.

I wouldn't say that UK Web Designers are too expensive, it really depends what you want and if you want it to work. Getting a website online is easy, having a website that actually works is a bit harder.

Reactions: Baz Watkins
Upvote 0
In the UK design companies prices really vary - from really cheap to very expensive.

For example I recently designed a site for a client - a 7 page static brochure style website with no extra functionality needed - they had prices from a couple of design companies at around £4000!
Needless to say my prices were a lot more realistic so I got the job!

I think you get what you pay for usually and everyone is different in their needs ie some people just want a basic web site and would be happy with a template site - others want something unique to their business.

As a UK business I always outsource any overflow of work to other UK businesses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baz Watkins
Upvote 0
As a point of interest 'and in no way trying my luck lol', what did you quote, and was it a cms/template or bespoke?

In the UK design companies prices really vary - from really cheap to very expensive.

For example I recently designed a site for a client - a 7 page static brochure style website with no extra functionality needed - they had prices from a couple of design companies at around £4000!
Needless to say my prices were a lot more realistic so I got the job!

I think you get what you pay for usually and everyone is different in their needs ie some people just want a basic web site and would be happy with a template site - others want something unique to their business.

As a UK business I always outsource any overflow of work to other UK businesses.

Upvote 0
I dont think they overcharge, but i know i can get the work done a lot cheaper by using people abroad - obviously their outgoings are less than over here.

For things such as PSD designs, i wouldnt hesitate about giving the work to foreigners. The same with PSD to HTML/CSS, i know its not technical enough to go wrong and cause too many problems.

For more in depth php work then i would be inclined to work with UK based people. As you have more chance of being able to get it sorted in face to face meetings than you have on msn messenger or skype or something similar.

Upvote 0
Thanks for replying, very honest of you. Makes me more confident in my pricing.

No problem at all!

I do a lot of corporate design work which are priced much higher so I tend to do the simple brochure style websites for smaller companies/individuals at a reasonable cost .... however there is always someone coming along and setting themselves up as a "web designer" and doing it for stupid money ie £200... however results speak for themselves!

Find your target market, offer a quality professional service and you will never be short of work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Haha...I do a Joomla package for £400 but it's only £200 at the mo...may have to revise that price..lol

No problem at all!

I do a lot of corporate design work which are priced much higher so I tend to do the simple brochure style websites for smaller companies/individuals at a reasonable cost .... however there is always someone coming along and setting themselves up as a "web designer" and doing it for stupid money ie £200... however results speak for themselves!

Find your target market, offer a quality professional service and you will never be short of work.

Upvote 0
Hands up web developers who have had a call come in from a potential customer who needs a site rebuilt because they one that was built overseas didn't work in the way they were expecting...

One of the key benefits of using a local company is that you can meet with them. That is essential when it comes to discussing requirements with less tech-savy people who know they need a website, but don't understand any of the technical terms and require a "hand holding" process. That's harder to achieve using an overseas provider (or even one at the other end of the country sometimes). Nothing beats an "in person" meeting. That is worth paying for alone.

Reactions: MancunianCreative
Upvote 0
£250,000 is cheap for a website.

... if it nets you £250,000 p.a. profit.

:)

Exactly.

If the choice is going to WebDesignerA and paying £200 for a design that converts your content at 1%, or going to WebDesignerB and paying £2,000 for a design that converts your content at 2%, then WebDesignerB is better for any site with net sales of more than £1,800 p.a..

Steve

Upvote 0

bdw

Free Member
Aug 13, 2008
West of Scotland
www.toucher.co.uk
Hands up web developers who have had a call come in from a potential customer who needs a site rebuilt because they one that was built overseas didn't work in the way they were expecting...
Yes, we get this regularly and not just websites built from overseas. ;)

Our typical charge for small brochureware websites (including design, consultancy and onsite SEO) is about £400 to £800. We get lots of work and repeat work at this price and lots of testimonials.

But then we also offer a guarantee. Our clients pay 50% up front then no more until they are totally satisfied with the end product. We must be doing something right. :D

Upvote 0

Weeble

Free Member
Aug 16, 2011
In the current economic climate I would say they probably are for a small business start-up. I need a basic no bells or whistles CMS website for a business I'm starting up. I received quotes from £400 to £1000 which I can't really afford so I put the job on People per Hour at £200 and have got 25 bids of which half a dozen look good with good reviews. I'm not suggesting this is the best route for everyone but for a start-up on a limited budget it's an option.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Subscribe to our newsletters

Real community whatever your business.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu