Advice needed to convert more sales.

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by jellybabys, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sysops

sysops UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,923 887
    There are many options for doing this. You're either going to have to learn a lot about affiliate marketing, or get someone to help.

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 By: sysops Member since: Feb 1, 2007
  2. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,643
    Jellybaby you have a fundamental flaw with your site.

I assume most of your traffic is coming from the 2 terms you are No1 for.?

So the landing page should be full of childrens clothes.

As opposed to what people are presented with now which is not relevant to there serch terms.

Hence why your page views are so low,and your bounce rate so high.

A professional SEO would not have a lot of problems getting you ranked highly for "baby gifts" e.t.c. as your site already has a fair bit of grunt.

Earl

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
    Posted: Oct 26, 2008 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  3. jellybabys

jellybabys UKBF Newcomer Free Member

59 1
    Couldn't i some how make the site into a PPC and add other people products on so it would be a baby product comparison site?

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 By: jellybabys Member since: Sep 2, 2007
  4. sirearl

29,807 6,643
    No expert on PPC I should talk to Steve Gibson or one of the PPC consultants.

We only deal directly with manufacturers,middlemen are the curse of the working class.:eek::D

Earl

5. sysops

2,923 887
    This is certainly one option, but it's not one which you can realistically pursue alongside running it as a retail site - it's one or the other.

As I stated early on in this thread, each visitor has a monetary value. You're getting a good number of visitors, and so your site has a certain value.

If you fully monetised your traffic in retail, you should be able to generate a turnover of around £1200 a day at your current traffic levels. This should be fairly easily achievable. This has more upside (bigger growth potential), but requires significant investment.

Alternatively you could abandon the idea of doing retail, and use your traffic to make you money via advertising. In this sector you should be able to achieve £300-£400 a day at your current traffic level, with a well optimised site. This doesn't have the upside of the first option (gorwing it will take a lot more work), but can be achieved on a much smaller budget.

What you need to do is figure out which path appeals more.

6. crossdaz

crossdaz UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,773 778
    Amazon run adsense?

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 By: crossdaz Member since: Sep 3, 2008
  7. ncl1968

ncl1968 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

21 1
    hi, if you need to find branded baby produducts at wholesale prices you can look at
    cardiffcashandcarry.com it is a uk based wholesalers with a great range of products my mrs used them for a while to sell on ebay

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 By: ncl1968 Member since: Oct 6, 2008
  8. jellybabys

59 1
    Hi Earl,

Your right most off our clicks are for baby clothes, then baby shoes and baby clothing and the front page looks more like its for toys and gifts, so I have taken your advice and put all the clothing on it, im also going to move the text to the bottom of the page and move the images up with a flash banner above it showing what we have.

Thank you all again for your kind advice, its not easy all this marketing stuff :)

9. sirearl

29,807 6,643
    why use a flash banner.?

and be carefull how you move the text,make sure the structure of the site is not altered .By that I mean the text is presented to the search engines in the best possible way.

Use a search engine simulator to check how the engines see your site.

Earl

10. jellybabys

59 1
    Just thought flash banners look better, but I know spiders can not read flash so I will look for other ways.

I will make sure the structure is not changed if possible?

Thanks again...

11. sirearl

29,807 6,643
    people are not that interested in how your site looks.

They have come to see your products.

so give them as large and clear images as you can.

you're tiny images of the wendy houses do not do them justice.

they want a full page graphic to get the juices flowing.:D

Earl

12. sysops

2,923 887
    I guess you'd advise a high street shop to strip the interior to the bare minimum, and spend no money on carpet etc. After all, people are only there for the products, and aren't interested in what the shop looks like.

Sheesh...

13. sirearl

29,807 6,643
    well you don't get many people pop in a shop and buy it, now do you.

They seem more likely to buy the stuff on the shelves.

Educational material for those in desperate need.:D

http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/biggest-mistakes-in-web-design-1995-2015.html

Earl

14. sysops

2,923 887
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
    Posted: Oct 27, 2008 By: sysops Member since: Feb 1, 2007
  15. boho

boho UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,411 135
    Amazon also sell 80% third party seller goods these days rather than their own too, they lost their original principles a long time ago, doesn't mean it is recommended that anyone copy them though :D

Adsense for other shops, especially potential competitors, or just rubbish sites on your own retail site should be a big NO. I hate ad's I will surf away to somewhere less cluttered without them, and worse still your customers may surf off using the adsense straight away. You are supposed to be finding ways to keep them on your site not leave it!

Think of adsense as one giant tv advert break....and then consider everyone leaving your site to go make a cup of tea....

Posted: Oct 27, 2008 By: boho Member since: Oct 16, 2006
  16. jellybabys

59 1
    I totally agree that the AdSense was a stupid idea, but it was a lesson learnt.

I also disagree with that article, I think you should make a site look as good as it can, if I walked into mothercare and it looked run down and I would walk straight out and the same goes for a website, if it doesn't look appealing to the eye i click away.

As for my bounce rate and I'm no expert but I have done a bit of reading up on it, mine is very good 23.00 on the main page is not bad at all, that's where most of my click go to, the reason the whole site has a bounce rate of 51.00 and i know that is bad is because we have hundreds of advices page that are very popular and with most advice pages people read what they need to then leave, if you look at a news site the bounce rate is mostly rubbish 80.00+ because people bookmark that page or gets the info they need and don't need any more, but saying that my sales are still poor, but increasing the image sizes and showing our clothing range (best keyword via clicks) on the main page should help things, but I still have a lot to do, I really appreciate the help I have been given.

Posted: Oct 27, 2008 By: jellybabys Member since: Sep 2, 2007
  17. sirearl

29,807 6,643
    About 5 million ,but then it has been a bad year for most.

Earl

Posted: Oct 27, 2008 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  18. First in Retail

First in Retail UKBF Newcomer Free Member

145 13

5m is that from the sites in your post, how on earth are you doing that ? they are pretty colourful to say the least :)

Posted: Oct 27, 2008 By: First in Retail Member since: Mar 31, 2008
  19. sirearl

29,807 6,643
    Posted: Oct 27, 2008 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  20. SillyJokes

SillyJokes UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,505 598
    JellyBabies.

I've got something for you that will improve conversions...

You do not show the shipping cost when someone adds something to the basket. This will be enough to put off a small proportion of customers. The reason is, they will add to basket to see the bottom line of how much it will cost them to buy booties from you as apposed to booties from someone else with a different shipping policy.

But when they add to your basket the shipping is not shown, in fact it dawns on them that they are going to have to register just to have the pleasure of seeing how much you are going to charge them to ship something that they were only a bit interested in. Annoying enough to leave the site and look elsewhere.

I really hate sites that make me register to shop, so much so that unless their goods are completely unique I will go elsewhere.

And for the rest of it, your home page has too much text at the top and not enough product images on the first fold. Your images are just a bit too small in my opinion.

A bespoke site will help you only if you get someone to build it who knows about ecommerce and these tend to be a bit pricy because they can be worth it.

No one here knows what level of income you need to cover your costs so I can understand it will be difficult for you to give up work to devote your full attention to the site, but the day we did this was the start of somethign big so I wish you luck.

Posted: Oct 27, 2008 By: SillyJokes Member since: Jul 26, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.