Advice needed to convert more sales.

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by jellybabys, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. directmarketingadvice

directmarketingadvice UKBF Legend Free Member

10,945 3,530
    Anything in particular in my post that you'd like clarified?

Steve

Posted: Oct 25, 2008 By: directmarketingadvice Member since: Aug 2, 2005
  2. jellybabys

jellybabys UKBF Newcomer Free Member

59 1
    Hello Steve,

This is where I'm clueless...

"It's worth testing to see if the additional product sales you get from that really outweigh the loss of orders.

Finally, if you're looking to "keep to a niche market", are you actually able to target that market?"

Ive also changed some bits to the site, like increased the size of the images, removed the right hand column in the login and most other pages (to make the larger images look right), but i think i have over done it taking away the column from all pages.

I have also removed the google ads.

Still things I need to do:

Change text a bit and image on front page.

Im planning to replace the text and image and put them next to the feature products on the front page and have some of large flash image above that most people will see first, also remove the left hand column from the front page and just have it on the the second pages and product page, make the header nav bar a drop down.

anything else i missed or if it looks worse now please let me know...

Many thanks

If not, you've got a problem.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
    Posted: Oct 25, 2008 By: jellybabys Member since: Sep 2, 2007
  3. directmarketingadvice

directmarketingadvice UKBF Legend Free Member

10,945 3,530
    You can use something called "split testing" to compare the results from two versions of a page.

So, you've got the current version (call it version "A") and you could create a version that doesn't have links to products (version "B").

Then you can use software that will send half the visitors to that page to version A and half to version B.

Then you track the number of visitors to each version and the net sales for each version. Then compare the net sales per visitor for each version and you'll find out which version is more profitable.

A "niche" business has a "target market", but the defining characteristic of a "target market" is that it can be targeted.

i.e. there's some way of getting to those people without going after the market as a whole.

I don't know what your SEO rankings are for, but if you're getting general traffic for your industry (rather than the niche you're aiming for), then you should expect to have a low conversion rate.

(as most of your traffic will be unqualified)

So, you should consider either (a) changing the focus of your marketing so you're going after the right people or (b) changing the products you are offering so they appeal to the people that are coming to the site.

Does this help?

Steve

Posted: Oct 25, 2008 By: directmarketingadvice Member since: Aug 2, 2005
  4. jellybabys

59 1
    Morning

Can I come back to this one for a second, why is a bespoke website better than one out of the box, doesn't most developer's use osC and magento and so on for their basic software and build round that, I have also seen the likes of the google store and a few other big players run by osC and a few of the have magento stores, so surely they cant be that bad?

I played around with my site most of yesterday and would love to know if you thinks its a bit better? I still need to change the buttons and put a add to basket button higher on the product pages, Im also going to change the categories column as it is a bit messy.

Any other advice would be great, I will start split testing next week.

Thanks Again

Baby Gift Store

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 By: jellybabys Member since: Sep 2, 2007
  5. sysops

sysops UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,923 887
    Sure!

Show me a really successful ecommerce site based on OSC or the like.

The vast majority of such sites look very same-ish, and have the same poorly optimised customer shopping experience.

Yes, you can certainly take something like OSC and turn it into a half decent site, but the amount of work (and therefore the cost) this takes is at least as great as starting from scratch.

Who are these "big players" you refer to?

Well, it's definitely better, but in my opinion it's a very long way from achieving good conversion levels.

We work really hard at two things: traffic and conversion. In terms of conversion, we achieve 2.5% in the low season, rising to nearly 6% in the peak season. There is no way we could ever, ever do that if we were running a site based on an out of the box solution.

The other really huge advantage that having your own platform gives you is the ability to modify and evolve the site in exactly the way you want to, free from any constraints imposed by the one-package-suits-most software.

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 By: sysops Member since: Feb 1, 2007
  6. jellybabys

59 1
    Hi

This is Osc http://www.googlestore.com/

and this is

Magento http://www.timeout.com/shop/

Not the best looking stores in the world but still both multi billion pound companies.

I have seen others over the years.

"We work really hard at two things: traffic and conversion. In terms of conversion, we achieve 2.5% in the low season, rising to nearly 6% in the peak season. There is no way we could ever, ever do that if we were running a site based on an out of the box solution."

If you dont mind me asking what ecommerce site do you run?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  7. sysops

2,923 887
    These are teeny, tiny addons to huge commercial enterprises - you can't compare that to a site which is the only component of the business.

The google store - sure, it works, and it's the only place where you can buy google branded stuff (apart from ebay).

Timeout store - same thing - they're selling their own branded stuff. What % of their turnover do you think this shop represents? By the way, Timeout are not a multi billion pound business.

When I said show me a successful ecommerce site built on OSC or similar, I meant a successful ecommerce business.

8. Stampy

Stampy UKBF Regular Free Member

263 33
    From the Magento site, these examples:

http://www.mattress.ie/ - the biggest on-line retailer of bedroom furniture in Ireland

http://sklep.sferis.pl/ - one of the largest electronic retailers in Poland with 57 locations

http://www.homedics.com/ - a leading global manufacturer of home massage, relaxation, and wellness products. (their quote!)

I don't imagine that the customisation of these sites came cheap though.

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 By: Stampy Member since: May 16, 2008
  9. sysops

2,923 887
    I knew someone would dig up some half-decent sites ;-)

Thing is, the development cost of these sites would have been far beyond that of most slap-it-up-in-a-weekend homebrew sites. The fact that they started off with Magento is neither here nor there - hell, you could even get actinic to look that good if you spent enough on it.

Having said that, I still think the user experience leaves quite a lot to be desired.

10. AndyP

AndyP UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

850 174
    Sorry to interrupt....quick question which I don't think has been asked or answered as far as I can see.....of your 2500 daily uniques what is your bounce rate?

Alo your geotrust logo does not link or verify?

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 By: AndyP Member since: Oct 11, 2008
  11. Bmcuk

Bmcuk UKBF Contributor Free Member

48 1
    Ok firstly, a comment that there wasn't enough money made and the owner had to continue working to pay mortgage and stuff. ok that's fine if you live in a massive house with crippling overheads, but turnover in first year was 125k, ok we ain't talking profit,so possibly low profit margin,therefore my mansion comment be put to the bin :)

Anyhow, the site to me looks cheap in design I wouldn't purchase from it simply as it looks basic. I do agree it needs a revamp, you need a site to look pro, be clean and good to look at with easy use. Not clutter

everyone on this site seems to mention a few off the shelf e commerce programs, has anyone dabbled or know of trading eye ? I have been told you can Create a Bespoke looking site for not to much outlay with this product.

Bespoke can have huge costs but I was quoted 15k to 5K for an all singing dancing site, and the 5K quote was actually from the company we thought would have been the dear option them having worked for porch!

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 By: Bmcuk Member since: Oct 26, 2008
  12. jellybabys

59 1
    Hi,

Not sure if my bounce rate shows an overall true reflection of our site as we have a load of advice pages and audio stories plus more that we get a lot of hits on, but I can show the home page figures for the past month.

As for the geotrust logo, its not one you can click on its just a standard SSL, I would have to pay a lot more for the click-able one, but the McAfee is click-able as is the Internet Shopping Is Safe logo in the footer.

Home Page Figures:

28,906 Page Views
    20,229 Unique Views
    00:00:39 Time on Page
    24.60% Bounce Rate
    37.65% % Exit

Below is the bounce rate for the whole site:

Bounce Rate: 51.06%
    New Visitors: 84.48%

I don't understand if the above is good or bad, but as we don't get many sales I guess its bad....

13. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,643
    Your page views to visitor ratio is desperately low ,which would indicate to me that your prices as oldeagleye suggested are way over the top for your average web browser.

I would be interested to know what the average value of your 15 sales a day is.?

I would guess very few £200,00 wendy houses get sold.

You have very good traffic ,so my advice would be to stock up on more affordable goods.

and make sure your higher priced stock does not appear on your home page.

Earl

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  14. sysops

2,923 887
    Don't listen to Earl - he just doesn't want you competing with his dolls houses.

You have a good, broad range of prices. You should of course focus on what's selling, but not by cutting back on higher value lines.

15. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,643
    Concentration should always be on the products that are giving you the best return in terms of profit and quantity.Irrespective of price.

Earl

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  16. jellybabys

59 1
    We sell about 4-5 a week of the playhouses and last nov and dec we was selling about 2 a day.

The best sellers are the shoes and stickers.

I see no point in selling the cheaper range of baby products as we can in no way compete with mothercare or mamas and papas, as they get the products made for them in bulk for china.

What we are trying to do is target the market for unique and mid range baby gifts, the funny thing is we are number one for baby clothes and baby clothing but only on the 2nd and 4th page for baby gift/baby gifts and that really the market we are after, but I have no control or very little over that.

17. sysops

2,923 887

Ermm...

You should stock more baby clothes. Even if your pricing isn't very competitive, if you rank that well for it, you will sell it.

18. jellybabys

59 1
    We have started to, we only had a few ranges to start of with but now have a lot more, they still are not our best sellers as the clothing side is such a big market.

The problem with clothing is the sizes/colours and the total layout, if we had 10 tops with 5 sizes in three colours that's 150 pieces times that by £8 trade £1200 for ten items so then times that by 50....... now you can see why the clothing range is a problem.

19. sysops

2,923 887
    Oh, believe me, I fully understand the stock issues with clothes :)

It just seems a really big lost opportunity given how well you rank. I think I could make more money from your site just on affiliate clothes referrals than you currently take on your sales!

20. jellybabys

59 1
    I think you are right I should start affiliating the clothing range and then concentrate on the rest of the products we sell.

How would I do the affiliate products as i have a checkout button on the site, would i need to have a different add to cart button for them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.