Advice needed to convert more sales.

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by jellybabys, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,643
    very good point Sillyjokes I missed that.

Earl

Posted: Oct 27, 2008 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  2. Gate2Shop

Gate2Shop UKBF Newcomer Free Member

73 5
    Steve has a point don't re-design unless needed.

Posted: Oct 28, 2008 By: Gate2Shop Member since: Oct 10, 2008
  3. steviemac

steviemac UKBF Regular Full Member

427 64
    I would have taken the £135,000 in a heartbeat!

Posted: Oct 28, 2008 By: steviemac Member since: Nov 20, 2007
  4. quikshop

quikshop UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,706 720
    Sir Earl is not being as daft as he sounds, or something like that :D

I wrote an article a recently about online shoppers behaviour, the conclusion of which is if your product is in demand and central to your web page it will sell almost regardless of how the rest of the website looks.

Of course your website must be easy to navigate around so you can't disregard useability, but shop appearance is a firm 3rd on the list of importance.

I am constantly amazed at the number of people who try and place orders through our pre-designed shops for sale and other suspended shops which state at the top of every single page that the shop is either not trading or for sale.

These people just don't see the message, all they see is product and act on a desire to own it :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
    Posted: Oct 28, 2008 By: quikshop Member since: Oct 11, 2006
  5. martin001

martin001 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

685 123

That was said last October.

hmmm, there still there,

Posted: Feb 24, 2009 By: martin001 Member since: May 28, 2008
  6. martin001

685 123
    I turned around my flowers business. (www.nextdayflowers.co.uk) - I'd love to do the same with this one.

7. martin001

685 123
    mmm spam for breakfast, thanks

8. cycloneuk

cycloneuk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

915 113
    They would of been straight down if it was me.

You have had some good advice in this thread, be interesting to hear how you are doing now?

Posted: Feb 24, 2009 By: cycloneuk Member since: Jun 18, 2008
  9. jellybabys

jellybabys UKBF Newcomer Free Member

59 1
    Hi

I agree most of the advice was good, and it also did not fall on deaf ears.

The google ads are still on the site for one reason, content, I have very little time at the moment to replace the google ads with images or text, as we are in the middle of building a new site and this will have no google ads, only on the advice pages.

I ended up going for magento as the shopping cart as it suited our needs, I have had a few problems with hosting the new site as they some how lost all my database twice after I finished building the site and loading the products, so I had to start all over again.

But we are 50% done, the basic design is near finished just some more text to be added and changed, we have had the payment module built for us, as magento did not support HSBC direct, and some other small programming bits done, and finally we need to add the products then we will go live, so about 8-10 more weeks.

If you are interested in seeing the new design you can see it here jellybabys.co.uk/magento as you will see its a little more grown up than jellybabys.co.uk, we are also having the logo redesigned.

Any comments or advice would be helpful as always.

Thanks again.

Dave

Posted: Feb 24, 2009 By: jellybabys Member since: Sep 2, 2007
  10. Steve2507

Steve2507 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,555 222
    I like the new design (although I also liked the old design as well).

3 questions/comments/suggestions:
    1. Will the big image on the homepage be clickable, if not why not? You could have the image broken down so users can click on different elements like toys, wall covering, girls clothes, boys clothes etc.
    2. Will all the top 10 searches all be clickable and will they be generated live? If generated live be careful. We did this and found some very wierd searches becoming public (could be just a case of our industry:)).
    3. I personally don't like the featured products bit, but I can see how others may like it. I would have another design for that area and test the two using G optimiser.
    Overall though nice clean layout.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
    Posted: Feb 24, 2009 By: Steve2507 Member since: Jun 9, 2006
  11. martin001

685 123
    why do you want to replace the google ads with anything at all?

12. martin001

685 123
    I dont want you to think I'm *****y - anything I say is meant with good intention, but with your new site design.

Its like you bought a huge plot of land to build a massively impressive house, but instead you have opted for a tiny bungalow with a front garden the size of a football pitch, using up 95% of the land you could have built on.

Sorry if that sounds a bit weird, but you've given all of your above-the-fold real estate to that one image. - In my opinion thats a bad idea,

I have dealt with many graphic designers and I will bet a pound to a penny that graphic designer with no ecommerce / retail experience designed that page?

I think you're too afraid to just SELL. - Like I said, I dont mean it offensively, but I do have experience ( a lot) in this field

13. jellybabys

59 1
    Thanks Steve,

The large image with be clickable, not sure yet if thats the one we will be using, that why we have just left it for the moment.

All the top 10 searched link will be also clickable, should be ok as we have used them before without any problems.

I did like the feature products when I first saw it on another site selling computer products, but I agree it does not suit are site, so we will most likely replace it a static one or something diff all together, plus it is causing problems with the text on that page.

Again thanks :)

14. Steve2507

1,555 222
    What you could do is have a number of featured products images and use an advert rotator. If you goto our site http://www.snslingerie.co.uk/ you will see 2 graphics, reload and they should change.

15. jellybabys

59 1
    Your right it was designed by me, all the images, css and so on was done by me, the template is the layout we liked, and the programming I had done was more admin side.

I totally agree that the front page will need to upsell much more but at the moment we are just learning to walk with magento before we can run, we are planning to have two main pages tested and work down to the checkout and so on.

My main goal at the moment is to list all 750 products, then add the to related products then all so add " we also recommend" so as you can see I have a lot off work in front of me :) but once all of that is done I we start to work on the main page content, logo and so on.

And please feel free to say what you like, Im not easy to offend.

Dave

PS

thank you for your email today martin, I will respond in person later.

16. Nickdavis87

Nickdavis87 UKBF Regular Free Member

275 28
    hey jellybabys,

Just been looking at your new site, i like it alot more than the last one. Have you tested to see whether it makes a difference if you have all your hacker safe logos out of main view? I saw them alot on your current site and personally as a shopper i pay no attention, they just use up valuable space and in some ways distract.

Posted: Feb 24, 2009 By: Nickdavis87 Member since: Jul 18, 2007
  17. jellybabys

59 1
    I like that idea steve, nice looking site :)

Im not very good at designing stuff, I have a good eye and knows if it works as soon as I see it, but i just can not get it down on paper myself.

I will most likely see if I can find a designer to help with that stuff.

18. jellybabys

59 1
    Hi Nick

We did see an increase of about 10-13% in sales once we had the hack safe logo and we also found we had better sales conversions when we had it in the header.

I know you said it makes no difference to you, and nor would it for me if I was buying online, but you would be amazed how many people feel safer when they see that logo.

19. Steve2507

1,555 222
    Thanks.

The ads are rotated using mySimpleads (http://www.clippersoft.net/) and is easy to set up and use. You could just use product images rather than fully fledged adverts.

I tend to agree with the other comments about the large central image, however I can see it working for you if you make it clickable and emhasise each rollover point. When you rolled over the particular image section you could have it change so that offer details are displayed. In much the same way as Iplayer works (www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer) where you roll over the image and text appears telling you about the show.

20. Nickdavis87

Nickdavis87 UKBF Regular Free Member

275 28
    Interesting stats, maybe we should put them in our site :)

The only other things i would say is that on the product pages etc i think the use of "compare products" will be minimal on your site, the "my basket" and "join newsletter" could then be made thinner and you can make the page content more central on the screen.

Posted: Feb 24, 2009 By: Nickdavis87 Member since: Jul 18, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.