What to do with old monitors .. fat and thin ones

Discussion in 'Green Business' started by DarrenMcCabe, Mar 16, 2016.

1. DarrenMcCabe

DarrenMcCabe UKBF Regular Free Member

226 50
    Hi UKBF

I run a computer recycling company and we are currently running it at 0% to landfill which is awesome.

The service we offer is free and simple to UK businesses, colleges, schools etc. We work with local charities to donate funds to them and also allow them to collect IT equipment which we then do a profit share for.

All good so far

The problem we have is there is no market for old monitors. Whether they be CRT (fat) monitors or TFT/LCD (thin) 15" monitors.

We can currently use a 3rd party who recycle them for us, but it is a large cost to our business, where margins are very tight.

Can anyone suggest any creative ways to use these monitors? Most are still working, but just to small or chunky for people to buy.

Posted: Mar 16, 2016 By: DarrenMcCabe Member since: Sep 25, 2012
  2. dave archer

dave archer UKBF Regular Free Member

790 165
    Posted: Mar 16, 2016 By: dave archer Member since: Mar 8, 2014
  3. billmccallum1957

billmccallum1957 UKBF Ace Full Member

1,984 422
    There is always a market for flat screen monitors, but the CRT type are pretty much useless.

Best option (as Dave says above) is to find someone who might want them for resale (they take them all for free and they have to dispose of the one's they cant sell).

What quantities are you getting?

Posted: Mar 16, 2016 By: billmccallum1957 Member since: Feb 11, 2016
  4. DarrenMcCabe

DarrenMcCabe UKBF Regular Free Member

226 50
    We have hundreds at the moment. The problem is we are an ethical and "green" company so we would need to make sure when they "dispose" of the ones they dont have a market for, they are not chucking them in the bin so speak

Posted: Mar 16, 2016 By: DarrenMcCabe Member since: Sep 25, 2012
  5. AG Consult

AG Consult UKBF Regular Free Member

102 15
    If you're feeling generous I will take 2 or 3 of the TFT/LCD (thin) 15" monitors off you.

Obviously I would pay the shipping costs

Posted: Mar 16, 2016 By: AG Consult Member since: Jul 28, 2015
  6. Karimbo

Karimbo UKBF Ace Free Member

1,718 174
    complete codswollop, old redundant hardware eventually need to end up in landfill because there just isn't any use for them. To convert them back into usable raw materials cost more than to obtain raw materials for conventional sourcing.

Old screens, computers etc get shipped to lowest bidding country and ends up in their landfill after checking a few boxes saying they'll recycle: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/inside-the-worlds-biggest-e-waste-dump

0% landfill is a complete joke, you're just passing your junk off to some other party who tells you nothing goes to landfill so you can sleep at night by fooling yourself it's all being recycled.

Posted: Apr 1, 2016 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011
  7. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,015 991
    Sadly, I tend to agree. Landfill is the only solution, and clearly exporting our junk to less developed countries means our junk becomes their problem, and even though not being a green consumer by a long way, putting our junk in another country is morally wrong.

Better to be honest and get them disposed of in our own country than contaminate another.

I'm not totally sure that 0% is possible for a business dealing in computers. Clearly the monitor situation is an example of an impossible component to recycle.

Posted: Apr 2, 2016 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  8. Gecko001

Gecko001 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

2,841 449
    I looked on ebay a few weeks ago and I was surprised at how much flat screen monitors were selling for. Some were selling for over £50. Most were collection only for some reason. I have noticed that recently you just do not see them at car boot sales whereas a few years ago you commonly saw them for sale there.

BTW if you have a few to sell, I would be willing to pay for a couple. Not just PP but also something on top.

Posted: Apr 2, 2016 By: Gecko001 Member since: Apr 21, 2011
  9. MikeJ

MikeJ UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,694 1,644
    Posted: Apr 10, 2016 By: MikeJ Member since: Jan 15, 2008
  10. MikeJ

MikeJ UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,694 1,644
    They wouldn't take CRTs though, and that was 4 or 5 years ago.

My local vet still had a CRT until very recently. They appeared to still have a DOS based database to log all their work on. It was quite nostalgic going there.

Are airlines the only people still using dot matrix printers?

Posted: Apr 10, 2016 By: MikeJ Member since: Jan 15, 2008
  11. MrComputerSaint

MrComputerSaint UKBF Contributor Free Member

49 7
    If you have the space in your premises you could make a video wall out of them. Join them together and have some music videos playing or something, if they still work that is.

I'd probably getting a deconstruction line going if that isn't an option. De-construct into plastic, components, smash the glass (obviously use some sort of goggles and gloves!) and then sell the parts. You might find a company that will buy the plastic enclosures from you and you might find a company that'll buy the components. The glass might be sellable to the correct company too.

Flat screens - I'd probably try and sell them on gumtree and then ebay at a fiver. But you have to add a good cost on for shipping. I think my last tft (19") cost me close to £10 to send via parcel 2 go, plus I needed to wrap it up well in some big bubblewrap

Posted: Apr 14, 2016 By: MrComputerSaint Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  12. Shonda Myers

Shonda Myers UKBF Contributor Free Member

64 9
    I think, I would agree to some that you could sell your old monitors if possible. Perhaps, would like to buy it. Perhaps , there are stores who would like to buy old items.

Posted: Jun 6, 2016 By: Shonda Myers Member since: Mar 31, 2016
  13. vibrantcolour

vibrantcolour UKBF Contributor Full Member - Verified Business

70 6
    I had a 22" TFT that went for £9.99+del on eBay last week :'(

Posted: Jun 12, 2016 By: vibrantcolour Member since: May 15, 2016
  14. HBC

HBC UKBF Contributor Free Member

34 4
    As mentioned above, deconstructing not only is more expensive but quite possibly less environmentally friendly once you factor the extra energy/lighting/transport/storage. Of course the materials are quite toxic so in theory they shound NEVER enter a landfill, in the UK they are "comingled" (a polite word for mixed dump), in the US they are separated. The answer is in reusing if possible - I wouldn't dissassemble, the net value to you cannot possibly be as high.

Posted: Jan 26, 2017 By: HBC Member since: Nov 29, 2016
  15. CyleKattman

CyleKattman UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 1
    I heard that owners of old-fashioned game stations will pay for them, becouse they demanding proper type of screens that looks pretty much the same as original game stations from 80s

Posted: Mar 16, 2017 By: CyleKattman Member since: Mar 16, 2017
  16. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,015 991
    As long as they have 4K resolution, HDMI and digital connectors, because VGA won't cut it! Rather cuts the audience down to those who still are so authentic as to play with the actual games of the day, rather like the people who still pay huge amounts for reel to reel tape recorders.

Posted: Mar 16, 2017 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  17. Karimbo

Karimbo UKBF Ace Free Member

1,718 174
    how much deman is there really though??

Posted: Mar 16, 2017 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011
  18. Adam-Smith

Adam-Smith UKBF Contributor Free Member

29 1
    there is a big market for these monitor in PAKISTAN and other Asian countries they convert these monitor into TV and these kind TVs are affordable for villagers in rural areas.

Posted: Jul 25, 2017 By: Adam-Smith Member since: Feb 14, 2017
  19. TLT Property Management

TLT Property Management UKBF Contributor Free Member

31 1
    I know somebody who loves to get their hand on old working 15 and 17 lcds. They use them to refurb and maintain gambling and arcade systems. Worth contacting one of them .

Posted: Sep 5, 2017 By: TLT Property Management Member since: Sep 4, 2017
  20. The next Steve Jobs

The next Steve Jobs UKBF Regular Free Member

175 14
    Cashconverters will give u money for thin monitors, they always have plenty for sale

Computer libraries will also take a few for spares

smaller monitors are handy for spares, secondary computers, screens for net servers etc

FILM production companies/prop departments will take fat CRT monitors, use as movie props etc

Few manufactures make small monitors, the better quality small monitors will retain some residual value for at least a decade

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Posted: Mar 23, 2018 By: The next Steve Jobs Member since: Mar 19, 2018