Online banking logout time?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Lucan Unlordly, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Lucan Unlordly

Lucan Unlordly UKBF Ace Free Member

1,900 344
    Is there an industry standard for automatic logging out when accessing online bank accounts?

We are with HSBC and the log out is set at 5 minutes. A pain in the arris when multitasking!

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 By: Lucan Unlordly Member since: Feb 24, 2009
  2. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Full Member

10,473 2,093
    I'm with Lloyds it really is one of my pet hates how quickly it logs you out :-(

It does give a warning, but if doing other things it's easy to miss it.

I've asked before if there is a setting anywhere where you can adjust it, but have never found a way.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  3. Lucan Unlordly

1,900 344
    I guess it's highlighted by the current situation. I've been waiting 2 days for a call back from a supplier who is running with limited staff so had to answer the phone. Logged back in again and a knock at the door with a delivery. Logged back in again etc.,

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 By: Lucan Unlordly Member since: Feb 24, 2009
  4. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Full Member

10,473 2,093
    Obviously depends on what you are doing, but what I sometimes do now is download the statement to my desktop and work from that instead.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  5. Awinner2

Awinner2 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

529 130
    My 2 banks do similar online but with a warning. Whilst discussing banking, why is it that the Post Office will let me pay cash deposits directly into my bank using the pin machine but cannot do it for my Nationwide account? They say it is because the interbanking system only works between banks and not with building societies! Not very customer friendly when there are no longer any banks open in my small local town and my nearest BS branch is 18 miles away!

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 By: Awinner2 Member since: Aug 4, 2017
  6. alan1302

alan1302 UKBF Ace Free Member

1,793 328
    Complain to the Nationwide about it

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 By: alan1302 Member since: Jun 2, 2018
  7. fc-ramon

fc-ramon UKBF Contributor Free Member

74 14
    It'll be cause of the agreements the banks have with the post office, some support it, some do limited or with conditions and some don't

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 By: fc-ramon Member since: Nov 6, 2020
  8. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

935 207
    Search for the industry standard to lock your house door and you got the answer. It's your responsibility to lock your own house door and if not the house insurance might see an issue there during break in. The bank is kindly enough to do it for you after 5min. They should charge for that service. Not sure where all the paranoia is coming from. We bank with HSBC and apart from that 5min session limit which I prefer much longer but too expensive for banks to have it you can't do anything in the online banking. Not even creating a beneficiary without a tan generator.

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  9. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

10,099 2,736
    There is an auto reload extension for Firefox. That might keep you logged in.

Could be a PITA in other ways though. Perhaps worth a try?

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  10. Nico Albrecht

935 207
    Could be a solution but not a huge fan of Firefox lately. It became very buggy and unstable in the last year. I can live with 5mins but wouldn't mind 7 - 10minutes for HSBC business banking. It never occurred to me to call my bank and ask them to change their whole security polices just for me.

If the OP is that concerned about security a screensaver with password prompt set at a time he thinks would be a good low budget gangster solution.

11. alan1302

1,793 328
    They won't do it just for you - that's just silly.

If they get lots of people asking for the same thing then they may look at it and change it. If they don't know there is an issue then they certainly won't change it.

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 By: alan1302 Member since: Jun 2, 2018
  12. Nico Albrecht

935 207
    I was joking.

Times have changed and at that level they simply don't care about verbal customer feedback. On a good day they open a complain and give you a couple days letter a default answer.

Trust me the measure every customer engagement via online and app banking and analyse session data data. There is no more need for humans calling up telling them things. Based on collected session data and security policies they will update logout times and security policies accordingly. They know exactly they customer down to the millisecond of interactions which feeds into another system for fraud prevention of online purchases and card payments. The know you better than yourself.

13. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Free Member

12,652 4,526
    You lot are all mad ain't ya!!

It's all I can do to keep the bl**dy script kiddies outta me devices, let alone leaving banking apps wide open - Bonkers!!

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  14. fc-ramon

74 14
    With security you lose convenience and with convenience you lose security. It's all about that balance and it just happens to be that balance is a 5 minute log out time.

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 By: fc-ramon Member since: Nov 6, 2020
  15. Lucan Unlordly

1,900 344
    I have no problem with the log out feature for security but to put it into perspective I clicked the HSBC LIVE CHAT button to ask the question about a longer time than 5 minutes. Connected in a few seconds, niceties exchanged, question posed, initial answer received and the 'do you want to stay logged in' pop up appeared mid conversation. ;)

It was suggested that clearing cache and cookies may extend the time?

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 By: Lucan Unlordly Member since: Feb 24, 2009
  16. alan1302

1,793 328
    They think they know me - but they don't. Juts like Google with all the data they have on me - they think they know me but they don't.

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 By: alan1302 Member since: Jun 2, 2018
  17. Neil Speirs

Neil Speirs UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 0
    and I thought it was just me that had this love/hate relationship with Santander, wonder if Bank of Antandec also does it?....

Posted: Jan 16, 2021 By: Neil Speirs Member since: Feb 2, 2019
  18. BustersDogs

BustersDogs UKBF Ace Free Member

1,381 258
    No, if you reload, you get a message asking if you want to send the info again, and even if you click yes, it says too bad!

I just copy paste the statement into a word doc. What is more annoying with my bank is having to wait 3 hours after setting up a new payee to be able to pay them. :( I work outdoors, and don't have 3 hours admin time before I go out. I need 2 coffees to even think about doing anything with numbers in. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Posted: Jan 16, 2021 By: BustersDogs Member since: Jun 7, 2011
  19. Dima Pimakhov

Dima Pimakhov UKBF Newcomer Full Member

2 1
    There is a thing called "Strong Customer Authentication and common and secure communication under Article 98 of Directive 2015/2366 (PSD2)", which regulates many big and small things for banks and banking providers. The limit of 5 minutes logout time comes from there. There are exceptions to this rule and some commercial/business banking apps/providers do get this extended to a longer period, but I suppose that some banks don't think that extending this period is worth it.

Posted: Jan 16, 2021 By: Dima Pimakhov Member since: Sep 10, 2020
  20. fc-ramon

74 14
    Also to bear in mind SCA becomes law in March 2021, Was supposed to be years ago but it got delayed. So you'll need 2fa codes for when you make any online purchases as well. not just login to online banking

Posted: Jan 16, 2021 By: fc-ramon Member since: Nov 6, 2020