Hi From St.Helens

Discussion in 'North West' started by athompson, Jul 13, 2015.

1. athompson

athompson UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10 3
    Hi guys,
    Just wondering any local businesses here in St.Helens or Haydock? Currently live in Haydock and hoping to start up in St.Helens in the not too distant future an wouldn't mind having more local contacts. An if its something I can utilise like suppliers I'd happily do so to help support each other :)

Cheers
    Andy

Posted: Jul 13, 2015 By: athompson Member since: Jul 13, 2015
  2. Jake9767

Jake9767 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 0
    Andy,
    What are you looking to startup?

Posted: Jul 13, 2015 By: Jake9767 Member since: Jul 12, 2015
  3. cjd

cjd UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

15,368 3,052
    No longer in sunny sint 'elins but born and bred there. Wish you luck, whatever your business is.

Posted: Jul 13, 2015 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
  4. Lease4Less

Lease4Less UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

522 128
    I'm based in Manchester but also from St Helens, good luck with your venture.

Posted: Jul 14, 2015 By: Lease4Less Member since: Jul 13, 2010
  5. athompson

10 3
    Nice to see plenty of local people have made it out ;)

An I'm looking at a gaming centre/cyber cafe, with the rise of esports and the want for good quality food and drink we thought it would be an ideal time to get this up off the ground. I actually started working on this over 10 years ago but have never been in a position to do it until recently.

Business plan written for years been re-writing every time i go back to looking at it but this time I've decided this is it. Either now or never and I'm not gonna sit around in years to come thinking what If I had done it.

But one thing I want to do is support other local businesses, I used to work at the college so have alot of contacts an have great sources for my market research. Just want to find suppliers of meat and veg an anything else I can use locally to reduce costs for shipping and hopefully improve quality over other local branch cafes an such.

Just realised my god I talk alot haha

Posted: Jul 14, 2015 By: athompson Member since: Jul 13, 2015
  6. Tier1Logistics

Tier1Logistics UKBF Regular Free Member

239 43
    Athompson,

Your new business venture sounds really good and can honestly say not many around do what your planning.

Drop us a message with what kind of business you would like help or services off and I will see what I can do for you as in terms of passing your details over.

Posted: Aug 4, 2015 By: Tier1Logistics Member since: Jul 29, 2015
  7. athompson

10 3
    Thanks Phillip :) Will send that over shortly but all I was thinking is I'd love to be able to help other people out while getting sorted. Had alot of help from business owners around the world in terms of getting to the point I am now and would like to pass it all on.

And interms of what the business is there are several around the country but alot of the esports places aim towards bar rather than a family friendly environment. Places such as Meltdown do that and have been really successful and are now offering a franchise option.

Posted: Aug 4, 2015 By: athompson Member since: Jul 13, 2015
  8. Tier1Logistics

Tier1Logistics UKBF Regular Free Member

239 43
    Morning Andy,

Okay will await your PM.

Posted: Aug 4, 2015 By: Tier1Logistics Member since: Jul 29, 2015
  9. Paul Murray

Paul Murray UKBF Regular Free Member

649 187
    Welcome Andy, I'm not far from St Helens, currently residing in Leigh, though I'm a Manchester lad.

I'm intrigued about your venture and I hope it goes well. I think there's a lot of potential, and with the likes of League of Legends professional competitions growing in popularity you could be in a good position to capitalise on this side of the pond. You could host local competitions, maybe even provide a LAN party room/area that individuals can hire for special occasions. Maybe you could even provide workshops where decent players can tutor newer players on the ins-and-outs of the games.

As a (rapidly) maturing gamer myself, being able to play with people face to face would be a big advantage. I see it as being a little like table-top gaming shops where people can just be themselves, no mature what their age or background.

Playing a competitive game online can require a tough skin, especially if you're not particularly good, and MOBA games in particular have a reputation for vicious, toxic players, so face-to-face gaming would be a nice selling point for me.

Posted: Aug 4, 2015 By: Paul Murray Member since: Nov 24, 2011
  10. Prosperity

Prosperity UKBF Regular Full Member

168 18
    Hi Andy.
    I own stone tyres in at Helens town centre (college street) good luck with your venture. I believe there is a gaming shop/group just off north road... don't know if this is of any use to you..

Posted: Aug 21, 2017 By: Prosperity Member since: Aug 20, 2016
  11. athompson

10 3
    Hi mate, yeah I'm aware of War & Hobby but as it is they have recently closed down. Which is why this idea has resurfaced and I've started working on it again.

An when we need new tyres again I'll be sure to call past your place man rather keep the business with local businesses

Posted: Aug 21, 2017 By: athompson Member since: Jul 13, 2015
  12. HazelC

HazelC UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

969 227
    Hi Andy,

Welcome to the forum; love the business idea!

Hazel :)

Posted: Aug 22, 2017 By: HazelC Member since: Sep 7, 2013
  13. athompson

10 3
    Hi Hazel, Thanks I've been a member for a couple of years but the idea has been on an off for several of those but now it's reached point of its now or never and I'm going with the former.

Posted: Sep 14, 2017 By: athompson Member since: Jul 13, 2015
  14. TomJ83

TomJ83 UKBF Regular Free Member

368 75
    Have you found the ideal place for your esports cafe?

Posted: Sep 16, 2017 By: TomJ83 Member since: Aug 30, 2017
  15. brickcounter

brickcounter UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 2
    Hi Andy,

I'm local too - sounds like a great idea.

Perhaps do an evening sesh for younger kids? My 10 year old would love the 'war games' stuff but i've been past a place and saw what looked like 16 yrs old + in there, so that would intimidate him. Perhaps an under 12s evening sesh maybe to pick up the primary school kids age? Just an hour or two and you might pick up a few parents grabbing a coffee too.

Posted: Dec 4, 2017 By: brickcounter Member since: Dec 4, 2017
  16. brickcounter

4 2
    No way! I'm with Voipfone too! Good to see you were once from round here!

Posted: Dec 4, 2017 By: brickcounter Member since: Dec 4, 2017
  17. athompson

10 3
    Hi @brickcounter That is something we are intending on doing as it is. I've been building my collection of board games an such too and including some more child friendly ones too, my 6 year old is helping test them with me.

Currently doing internal works on the place so hopefully be open after Christmas. Had a couple of delays along the way but we are back on track now.

Hi @TomJ83 Sorry for the late reply, only just seen your comment. I have indeed found a location and we are doing works on it at the moment. I'm hoping once we've got passed the problems we've been facing recently that I can start getting things on social media showing the progression of the place so I'll make sure to get it posted on here too :)

Thanks guys
    Andy

Posted: Dec 4, 2017 By: athompson Member since: Jul 13, 2015
  18. brickcounter

4 2
    Great to hear Andy.

Where is it that you're opening your new place?

Posted: Dec 5, 2017 By: brickcounter Member since: Dec 4, 2017
  19. athompson

10 3
    The unit I have is what used to be Obbie Doo's under Keith Park Solicitors on Claughton Street/Barrow Street.

Nice big unit but few problems that we are dealing with first

Posted: Dec 5, 2017 By: athompson Member since: Jul 13, 2015