General Business Forum Brought to you by Total Gas & Power

The Night the Reindeer died.....

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Newcott, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newcott

Newcott UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,438 303
    Hi All,

Been on here a while now but could really do with some help.

I'm working on a new film project - due to be shot at the end of the month and you can find more information on it in the link below:

http://www.indiegogo.com/The-Night-the-Reindeer-Died

I'm hoping you good people at the UKBF can help either
    1)Raise funds
    2)Raise awarness.

The film with be awesome, we've got the ability & talent but we need help with crew,location and equipment costs.

For thoese of you unfamiliar with crowd funding its a great way of helping UK film, small contributions that add up to a larger budget.

If anyone can help out and wants a to contribute (the packages are on the right) I would be very very thankfull.

If not if you could please help us spread the word - blogs,twitters, facebooks, emails anything to help get exposure.

Of course welcome to any questions or feedback but we are determinded to get this project done we just need a little support.

Thanks!

Nick

(P.S. sponsership packages outside this may be availble so PM me :) )

Posted: Nov 5, 2010 By: Newcott Member since: Jul 9, 2010
  2. debbidoo

debbidoo UKBF Ace Free Member

1,803 572
    Haha - love the plot, it sounds insane :D And I'm a huge fan of Christmas movies :)

Hmm. Tempted by the $100 package - but wouldn't a henchman called "debbidoo" be a bit bizarre? :p

$1250 is a very low target. Is that really all it's going to cost you to make the film? Or do you have other backers?

Something I'd want to know is, what happens if I pay and the movie doesn't get made for whatever reason? Is there a cut-off point in terms of time? I mean, what if I pay $100 now for sponsorship, and the movie takes 10 years to make and by that time I've retired or changed the company name or something?

Posted: Nov 5, 2010 By: debbidoo Member since: Apr 10, 2008
  3. Newcott

1,438 303
    debbidoo:

Of course not - to be honest a name like that won't be the most insain thing in this film (We've got a few secret's up our sleve on possible plot points depending on funding)

Its is a low budget film - but we're only looking for what we need to get it done. We have our main camera as a Sony EX3, some basic lighting and greenscreens. We've also got a few skill sets alredy through friends lending a hand and we're experienced to get it done. What we need help with is the extra equipment (Sound, camera tracks/dolly/jibs & extra lighting) plus to pay for location and actors costs (transport & food included) So yes the figure is low but its exactly what we need.

It will get made - we have the location booked (just need to pay for it) actors booked & main crew sorted. We are very determined for this to happen as it will be out the week before chirstmas.

Happy to answer any questions you may have :) would be great to have you on board and we can christen your henchman :)

Nick

4. debbidoo

1,803 572
    Hehehe :) I must say, I'm very tempted :D It all sounds really mad - right up my street :D

Let me have a chat with Mr Doo this evening when he gets home, and I'll get back to you :)

5. rp84

rp84 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

26 3
    I can help editing.. Something which i studied at university and would love to get back into video editing.

Posted: Nov 5, 2010 By: rp84 Member since: Sep 7, 2010
  6. Newcott

1,438 303
    Rp84:

The main guy who wrote the script is a editor by trade however I can forward details if he wants an assistant editor if you PM me.

Debbiedoo:

That would be great :)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  7. Indigo Cherry

Indigo Cherry UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,062 222
    Just a quickie, how would we get to see the film?
    Where will it be shown?

Is there a way to get hold of a copy?

Posted: Nov 5, 2010 By: Indigo Cherry Member since: Nov 6, 2008
  8. Newcott

1,438 303
    Fourteen12:

Its a short film so will be on YouTube & a few other sites.

Copies can be sent on DVD if requested :)

9. debbidoo

1,803 572
    From a commercial point of view - how will you make any money from it if it's only on YouTube etc? Or are you using it to showcase your talents to get you more work in the future?

Hope my questions don't come across as negative - I'm genuinely interested :)

10. Newcott

1,438 303
    Debbiedoo:

Not negative in the slightest - always open to talk.

Its a mixture of showcase and building on earning some dosh. (which would be put towards further films/sketchs)

Basicly it will be used to showcase what we can do but also we are currently in talks with YouTube about being a partner (basicly you get a share of revenue generated by advertising on your channel) We have 3 new projects starting next year so this will be one of the first. Search in YouTube for either FreddieW or Film Riot - theses guys are able to post a video a week due to sponsership or partnership and we're looking to emulate.

We are also considering putting it on a Video on Demand site that we are using for our feature film due to be released next month "It Came Alive" ( http://fireflylondon.co.uk/index.php/projects/47-it-came-alive)

Does that help?

11. debbidoo

1,803 572
    Yes, really interesting - thanks for taking the time to explain :) Hope it makes you rich and famous :)

12. Newcott

1,438 303

Thanks :) I'm hoping so too - we've got big plans for next year and of course if you can help us out on this one I'll be happy mention support on our way to the top :)

(starting to get good at this pluggin' stuff :p )

13. debbidoo

1,803 572

We'll make a PR man of you yet! :D

I have something up my sleeve - will let you know when it's done ;)

14. LicensedToTrade

LicensedToTrade UKBF Legend Free Member

6,330 2,143
    So this is how Spielberg got all those film credits?

I'm not a big fan of these vanity sponsorships, it seems like a bit of a farce. You pay money to have your name appear on the credits of a film that no more than 20 people are ever likely to see, and let's be honest, when was the last time that you sat through the credits of a blockbuster at the cinema?

This reminds of those companies that love your book so much they want to publish it for you! You know, the one where you pay £2,000 and get 100 copies of your book sent to you, in other words a printing service for the the vain.

I remember many many years ago I invested into one of these start-up film companies with big promises of a great ROI. The film never materialised and I was a few quid out of pocket.

Posted: Nov 5, 2010 By: LicensedToTrade Member since: Nov 7, 2009
  15. Newcott

1,438 303
    LTT:

Jokes aside yes- I know many a story on Speilberg not just his work but lending his name on projects that otherwise never would of seen the light of day.

As for cinema credits being in the industry I always sit through - so does everyone I know in this as its a respect thing - one day I hope films I work on will have someone sitting untill the end.

But the point of this is not just the vanity thing, its about helping create something awesome, helping a UK film maker when there is no support anywhere and enjoying the results once its made - as people have already said they like the sound of it I hope that they will be pleased once they have watched it.

With regards to your past experience, sorry to hear that but our situation is different. This film will be made but the funding is the difference in it being mind blowingly awesome as we will be able to afford extra crew, the location, makeup & wardrobe.

I'm not promising a ROI - I don't want to lead anyone down a false path but at the end of the day you can contribute as much or as little as you want and lets face it I'm not asking for huge sums $10 (or around £8) if we can get 200 people to contribute or if we get 5 lots of the $250.

Also just to add there is a option of not putting your name to it and just donating :p

Hope that clears up concerns you have voiced?

Nick.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  16. debbidoo

1,803 572
    On the other hand, it's nice to know that for as little as $10 you can support home-grown talent and help these guys move forward in their careers :) That's worth a small investment of $10, surely? :)

From my point of view - I just think it would be really, really funny to have an evil Santa-kidnapping henchman called 'debbidoo' - haha :D I don't suppose I'd get any work out of having a credit on the movie, but even so - it's a fun idea, and even if nobody saw my name on the credits, I'd be glad I did it :)

17. Newcott

1,438 303
    Thanks Debbidoo :)

Other options, if people don't want to donate or pass the link around for us - please please please could you click on Feature it! ( very Bottom right hand page under the packages) It will help us get on the front page :)

18. Newcott

1,438 303
    Morning all.

Didn't get a huge ammount of time to promote over the weekend but our first donations have started to role in :)

www.indiegogo.com/The-Night-the-Reindeer-Died

Out of interest if I could get some feedback that would be great
    A) Is there anything I could say or do (within reason) that would increase the chance of you contributing
    b) same as above but for sharing it around.

I'm nervous our timescales are short but I know there are some good people here who are able to help either way.

Thanks

Nick

Posted: Nov 8, 2010 By: Newcott Member since: Jul 9, 2010
  19. debbidoo

1,803 572
    Nick, do you have a YouTube version of the Vimeo video on your Indiegogo page? WordPress.com is being an arse and won't let me embed Vimeo videos for some reason...

Posted: Nov 8, 2010 By: debbidoo Member since: Apr 10, 2008
  20. Newcott

1,438 303
    I'm away from my PC today but I'll get the editor to upload one ASAP :)

Posted: Nov 8, 2010 By: Newcott Member since: Jul 9, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.