Royal Mail parcel services must have barcode

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by bharris, Jun 17, 2015.

1. bharris

bharris UKBF Regular Free Member

540 81
    i have recived an email from Royal Mail as below:
    Royal Mail are introducing a 2D Barcoding system for all parcels and packets going through their system to help improve customer information and operational efficiencies.

This means by October this year, all Royal Mail customers need to have some sort of shipping solution in place in order to generate the barcodes.

Is anyone else aware of this and can someone explain what it actually means, when i spoke to them they didn't really know and just tried to make me use their despatch manager software and pay extra for a tracked service (which costs more than a courier)?

Posted: Jun 17, 2015 By: bharris Member since: Dec 30, 2014
  2. jjscruff

jjscruff UKBF Regular Free Member

154 8
    They couldn't explain it to me either

Posted: Jun 17, 2015 By: jjscruff Member since: Aug 9, 2013
  3. YesMan

YesMan UKBF Newcomer Free Member

24 3
    I have heard that Royal Mail are trying to get customers to move over to their DMO system rather than OBA.

I received a couple of standard RM 24 (not tracked or signed for) parcels today, and they were printed using DMO labels and had a QR Barcode on, so perhaps this is the 2D barcode they are describing.

Posted: Jun 17, 2015 By: YesMan Member since: Apr 10, 2015
  4. Jon Neale

Jon Neale UKBF Regular Free Member

109 17
    Yes they are moving people off OBA over to DMO, I think by September/October.

How many items are you sending and is it all uk?

Posted: Jun 17, 2015 By: Jon Neale Member since: Jun 14, 2015
  5. bharris

540 81
    We currently send about 1500-2000 PA. DMO looks a right pain in the bum! (don't you have to individually enter the parcels details including address, weight and size? This would take ages)
    We have some parcels that are very low value which cost more to post than the actual product so we do need a cheap and quick method of posting. We also have quite a few customers at the top of Scotland and the islands which has been one the the problems of moving to a courier.

Posted: Jun 17, 2015 By: bharris Member since: Dec 30, 2014
  6. YesMan

YesMan UKBF Newcomer Free Member

24 3
    How do you currently process your orders? I believe DMO allows you to upload your addresses via a .csv file, so you wouldn't have to sit there typing every address.

I've read a lot about this supposed changeover, but the consensus seems to be that Royal Mail are trying to push certain customers who use certain services over to DMO - but OBA isn't going away (anytime soon, anyway)

Posted: Jun 17, 2015 By: YesMan Member since: Apr 10, 2015
  7. Chris34

Chris34 UKBF Regular Free Member

522 143
    They will be moving everyone over to DMO for one simple reason, REVENUE PROTECTION.

If every parcel has a barcode on it then when they are being processed there won't be a single parcel that can slip through the network without payment. Currently the system is based on trust, I think there are a lot of people that abuse this trust.

Chris.

Posted: Jun 17, 2015 By: Chris34 Member since: Feb 3, 2009
  8. SamStones

SamStones UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,042 134
    Posted: Jun 17, 2015 By: SamStones Member since: Mar 1, 2010
  9. JamieM

JamieM UKBF Ace Free Member

2,280 343
    Yeah it does but it's horrible to set up.

I'm sure you will still be able to use third party software instead of DMO to produce labels. e.g. Veeqo, Linnworks etc

Posted: Jun 18, 2015 By: JamieM Member since: Mar 22, 2006
  10. bharris

540 81
    Curently we print the order on a picking note/invoice which has a label that has the customers address printed along with our PPI stamp depending on what service the customer has selected (24, 48 etc) we then pick, pack stick the label on the box weight the total for each type of post and put them into the post sacks ready for collection. The problem with automatically printing the bar codes is that we also upgrade from 48 to 24 as depending on the total weight it can be cheaper to send more by 24 than it is to send via 48 (we just simply stick a printed ppi label over the original label. DMO sounds restrictive and a pain. Do you actually have to fill in the size and weight of each parcel?

Posted: Jun 18, 2015 By: bharris Member since: Dec 30, 2014
  11. bharris

540 81
    Does anyone here actually use DMO. I had a play with the demo and it looks like the average weight of parcels can no longer be used this will cost me a lot as we normally have several light parcels and only a couple of heavy ones normally making the average weight less than 1kg (the lowest parcel price on OBA. Is this correct? It has been mentioned that you can link the DMO with the eCommerce software but i cant see how the final weight of each parcel can be filled in (unless you are sending single items).

Posted: Jun 23, 2015 By: bharris Member since: Dec 30, 2014
  12. Karimbo

Karimbo UKBF Ace Free Member

1,669 163
    royal mail is archaic. their online postage buying service is so annoying to use that sometimes i feel like just hand writing the addresses and putting a stamp on it rather than using their web form to generate postage.

I mean why do you have to copy the address line by line and past it onto the website. Why can't you just copy and paste the entire address and the website identify and validate the format of the address. Basic scripting would do this, but noooo you have to copy and paste the door number, first name, last name individally in each cell and then the website just joins it all up together like it originally was anyway

Posted: Jun 23, 2015 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011
  13. JamieM

JamieM UKBF Ace Free Member

2,280 343
    I have used it but ditched it in favour of OBA with the exception of the odd signed for parcels which are easier to do in DMO.

I think DMO still calculates average weights per service when you do the end of day process. You would need to check with RM but I'm sure someone told me that.

Not sure about linking the weights in from an ecommerce integration.

Posted: Jun 23, 2015 By: JamieM Member since: Mar 22, 2006
  14. cs73

cs73 UKBF Contributor Free Member

52 10
    I was told by the girl who phoned me about it that the average method doesn't work using DMO as it calculates the weights for each parcel individually and then charges for each one based on that weight and your rate for that weight.

Posted: Jun 24, 2015 By: cs73 Member since: Jan 21, 2014
  15. Abe Choi

Abe Choi UKBF Contributor Free Member

64 9
    DMO calculates the weight of each parcel individually and not on an aggregate average basis like OBA. We're doing an integration into Royal Mail so we've had to meet these requirements.

The good news is if you do use DMO and 24/48 then you get effectively "free tracking" via the 2D/QR code that will be generated. For those selling on marketplaces like Amazon or Ebay, it should bump up your seller rating as you will have free "tracked service" on what used to be an untrackable product. This will definitely reduce fraud as we have all dealt with buyers that have received the product but claim they have not.

The only thing is getting rid of having to use DMO. So what we've done is actually started our own integration. If you have a technical resource, you guys should check out the Royal Mail api and take it into your control.

Posted: Jul 10, 2015 By: Abe Choi Member since: Jul 7, 2015
  16. bharris

540 81
    Not having average weight will really effect us. Looks like i will have to send even more by a courier.
    Not having any luck with Interlink exprees/DPD cant even get a quote form them.

How does that work, does it qualify for lost parcel compensation form Royal Mail or does it just satisfy the ebay seller protection?

Posted: Jul 11, 2015 By: bharris Member since: Dec 30, 2014
  17. Abe Choi

Abe Choi UKBF Contributor Free Member

64 9
    Hey @bharris. I will get back to you on this as I don't know what the new rules are as all of this is new to everyone including royal mail.

Posted: Jul 11, 2015 By: Abe Choi Member since: Jul 7, 2015
  18. Jessie77

Jessie77 UKBF Contributor Free Member

41 2
    I was told that the new bar coding system works on the average weight so I will be annoyed if it doesn't. We have been working on this since January and the support from RM is dreadfull. B Harris we are the same as you with our packing system are you using it yet as I am trying to work out how this is going to effect our packing systems

Posted: May 7, 2016 By: Jessie77 Member since: Jul 25, 2013
  19. Jessie77

Jessie77 UKBF Contributor Free Member

41 2
    If anyone using this new Bar Coding system can they clarify whether its weight per parcel or average weight . How also it has effected their packing procedures as the info from Royal mail is dreadful

Posted: May 7, 2016 By: Jessie77 Member since: Jul 25, 2013
  20. Jeff FV

Jeff FV UKBF Big Shot Staff Member

3,581 1,685
    Despite all the deadlines, doom-mongering and denials, I have ignored all prophecies of calamity that you must be using DMO by October/the New Year/April* (* delete as required) and carried on using Royal Mail OBA as I have done for the last 5+years to no ill effect.

I think RM would dearly love us all to move to DMO as it suits them, but there is no advantage to us, the customer, and I don't think that they (RM) have sorted out all the problems yet, hence I think it is a can that will continue to be kicked down the road for a while yet.

Posted: May 7, 2016 By: Jeff FV Member since: Jan 10, 2009