Missing full sugar Fanta Dr pepper and other drinks

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Karimbo, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Karimbo

Karimbo UKBF Ace Free Member

1,730 176
    Is there a market for buying full sugar 2ltr bottle of said soft drinks from the continent and selling them here in the UK? I know that a lot of takeaways sell Pepsi and coke which French and German writing (I'm guessing to avoid sugar tax), what about drinks in 2litre bottles for all the drinks that they don't sell here in their original form? Is it viable to bring all that liquid in a lorry here?

Posted: Mar 11, 2019 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

18,470 2,131
    Sorry, is 2 litre Fanta normal sugar no longer available near you?

Can get it at Sainsburys, Morrisons and Tesco last I looked. Last month.
    https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries

Yes there is a market for the drink, whether you could buy it in at low enough price and sell it to sufficient people to make it worth your while....?

Oh and local cash and carry had it in a couple of weeks back.

Posted: Mar 11, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

4,317 1,357
    If you want a heart attack or stroke you crack on mate

I'm not sure why you would want these fat boy drinks anyway

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  4. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Regular Free Member

467 97
    The people I see buying diet, low sugar drinks in large quantities are invariably fat. There is an argument that these drinks trigger a craving for sugar that is later satisfied in some other way. There is also some concern about the effects that artificial sweeteners have on the gut.

I can't speak for the scientific validity of such claims but I don't like low sugar drinks and have stopped buying them altogether. If there isn't a full sugar version available I'll buy beer instead.

I am mid-fifties, not fat and not needed to see a doctor in 40 years. I'll stick to my choices thanks.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  5. JEREMY HAWKE

4,317 1,357
    Fizzy drinks in any form are liquid crack and it does nothing for the body !

It is quite funny really the UK population are fuming about large corporations avoiding Uk tax while paying their employees slave wages !

The OP comes on the biggest business forum in Europe and tries to avoid tax on a can of coke !

:):):):)

6. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,937 1,280
    To the best of my knowledge full-sugar variants are still available.

Grey imports pre-date sugar tax and usually are just a way of cutting costs by getting around the control of Coke, Pepsico et al over the ~UK supply chain.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  7. Gordon - Commercial Finance

Gordon - Commercial Finance UKBF Ace Free Member

1,830 550
    You don't support low sugar drinks because they create cravings for sugar (and that's a bad thing), so you just cut out the middle man and get the full sugar version?

Interesting.

There's a market on eBay for full fat Irn Bru. My brother has a storage unit full of the stuff.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 By: Gordon - Commercial Finance Member since: Jun 26, 2017
  8. Darren_Ssc

467 97
    Full sugar coke and zero sugar coke are the same price though - no need to buy something else. ;)

9. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

8,104 1,702
    I thought Coca Cola were the ones who refused to ever change the recipe?

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  10. Mr D

18,470 2,131
    Someone absorbing the sugar tax so you pay same price?

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  11. Mr D

18,470 2,131
    UK population appear not to care about large corporations that don't owe UK tax not paying it. Slave wages are dealt with by the appropriate authorities - you will be notifying them of the companies concerned?
    There are multiple large corporations paying higher wages than the UK minimum - much to the annoyance of some of the media this reduces their corporation tax bill.

12. Mr D

18,470 2,131
    The thing is that customers want to buy these drinks.
    Supplying a customer demand is a useful method of gaining money in business.

Perhaps the customers have tried some of the low sugar drinks and do not want them? I'm a fanta man - the full sugar version I'll have 2 or 4 litres a month. The other version of it I wouldn't have if it was given away.
    Pretty sure the risks of stroke or heart attack are impacted by multiple other factors that are either ignored or kept to moderation.

13. Gordon - Commercial Finance

1,830 550
    The problem with taxing it like this is similar to minimum alcohol pricing up here in Scotland.
    The desired effect is to make people take less sugar, however people don't really change their habits...they just pay the extra.

14. Mr D

18,470 2,131
    Bit like the tax on alcohol and tobacco.
    I have met people who have given up drinking and smoking - have never met someone who did so because the tax on it was getting too much.
    Give it time, government will figure out other ways of taxing personal choices.
    An internet charge perhaps because so many of us use the internet...

15. Root 66 Woodshop

Root 66 Woodshop UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,997 1,340
    Personally, I think it's all a bit of a con... just another way to tax something.

We've all been drinking this stuff for years, and now... they want to say it's bad for us... seriously if it's that bad why the hell are people not suing Coca Cola for causing obesity?

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 By: Root 66 Woodshop Member since: Nov 22, 2011
  16. Darren_Ssc

467 97
    For regular Coke, they are selling smaller cans to stay within the sugar limits. I'm not sure how it works really because, afaik, you can still buy the normal sizes pretty much anywhere?

17. Mr D

18,470 2,131
    We were told eggs were bad for us. Now they are not.
    We were told that certain fats were bad for us. Now they are not.
    The health people tell us that salt is bad for us, now its sugar, perhaps next time it will be flour.

I'm pretty sure there are people who are not going to be happy until we conform to their view of the world. By stopping certain foods and drinks because those people don't like them.

18. JEREMY HAWKE

4,317 1,357
    @Mr D You know whats bad for you ,you don't need the government to tell you and you know that fat boy drinks will play a part in getting you one day :)

19. Gordon - Commercial Finance

1,830 550
    The issue with standardised nutrition guidelines is that everyone is different.
    A level of carbs for one person could be totally reasonable, but for others they might put on weight at an alarming rate.
    Rather than being led by what the government or the media says is good for them, people need to figure out what works for them.

That said, in almost all cases sugar is bad.

20. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,937 1,280
    Elasticity of demand (AKA tax cash-cows)

Historically fuel, booze & fags - all f which have been hit, hence Government needs a new cash cow.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015