General Business Forum Brought to you by Total Gas & Power

It's not over yet - EU

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by bluenun, Jun 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluenun

bluenun UKBF Regular Full Member

486 49
    I dont think that this is the end of the story - by a long way.

We have a Parliament of which over 75% of them wanted Remain.
    The referendum result is not legally binding so in light of this - this is what I think will happen.

Cameron Gone - Corbyn will be next. After new leaders have been elected - I think there HAS to be a General Election - I believe the SNP, Labour, Lib Dems, Plaid Cymru etc - will stand together on a 1 policy ticket - vote for them if you want to return to the EU - that will be used as a mandate to cancel the referendum result.

In the mean time the EU will HAVE to change its path - which clearly people do NOT want - thats why given the choice of IN (with greater integration, Turkey, immigration etc) or OUT , people choose out.

An elected Parliament (if) elected on that 1 policy ticket would win. If achieved (and its a big if) , we can then back to 'normal' - Ive forgotten what Normal is any more.

Speaking to lots of people - they have said the same - they dont want more EU, more members, more money going into the EU - what everyone wants is a restriction on total free movement - with the individual member states getting their borders back.

If was a very simple question that was asked - the answers and variables were very very complicated and the outcomes uncertain. The EU needs to listen rather than dictate.

Posted: Jun 25, 2016 By: bluenun Member since: Dec 11, 2008
  2. john1989

john1989 Guest

0 0
    Cancelling the referendum results or holding a second referendum would lead to anarchy in the streets.

The people have spoken and we just need to get on with it now.

Posted: Jun 25, 2016 By: john1989 Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  3. bluenun

bluenun UKBF Regular Full Member

486 49
    I thought I would be the last person to ever say this - but I think there are people out there that now genuinely would vote different - and only wanted to give the current Govt a bit of a kick. The opinions polls were all saying Remain anything from 3 - 8 % in the lead.

The fact that this does have to be ratified by Parliament , and with a General Election where people can vote the parties that want to Remain or Otherwise again - that would give a final and legal mandate to the Govt to carry it out.

The EU has to change as they know full well they will now face Referendum calls in Denmark, Sweden, Netherlands and probably Greece, France and Italy

(Personally I would vote differently now - if the EU put a stop to its expansion plans)

The Mrs is from Swansea - People in Swansea (a massive massive NET gainer from the EU) voted to Leave - Swansea has no issues with immigration or anything else - they just wanted to give the EU and Govt a kick.

Who knows - maybe in 3 years time - Us, the Danes, Dutch, Greeks and French will all be out of it.

The EU needs to hold referendum in all member states before it continues it's expansion and federalisation

Posted: Jun 25, 2016 By: bluenun Member since: Dec 11, 2008
  4. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

9,883 2,626
    It doesn't. It isn't constituted in a way that encourages it to do so.

That's why Cameron was unable to get new terms and we are leaving.

With luck followed by France, Holland, Italy ... until it's gone.

Posted: Jun 25, 2016 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  5. john1989

john1989 Guest

0 0
    The way it's going, I could see there been nothing left for us to leave!
    If a company was in such dire straights, it would have been dissolved by now.

6. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,590 1,082
    My vote was based far more around the state of the EU as an organisation than immigration or party politics. Stay won my vote by a tiny margin on the basis that there is a tiny chance that we could be part of positive change in its structure. As it stands, I absolutely believe it will implode within a decade.

Ironically our departure will force change - though I suspect it will just be window dressing

A decision has been made. Other than the unlikely event of fundamental change in the EU to go against that vote will be a make a complete joke of democratic process

Posted: Jun 25, 2016 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  7. billmccallum1957

billmccallum1957 UKBF Ace Full Member

1,979 422
    The UK HAS to leave the EU !!!!

If people thought riots in the street were limited to "a few extremists" a failure of parliament to ratify the leave vote would result in something akin to a civil war.

We are supposed to be democratic, so having the referendum is meant to allow everyone to have a voice, failure to ratify will mean our own government (who are supposed to represent us) saying "F*** O**, we'll decide what we want"

Things have been bad enough with the total failure of successive governments to deal with banking excesses and multinational tax dodging, to continue to support this EU gravy train will be the beginning of the end of the "party" system in the UK.

Posted: Jun 25, 2016 By: billmccallum1957 Member since: Feb 11, 2016
  8. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Ace Free Member

2,413 621
    [​IMG]

Posted: Jun 25, 2016 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  9. threenine

threenine UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

765 174
    On the contrary. I believe a second referendum is vital. I don't think the people have spoken. What is happening now, is that our so called government is dismantling on its own.

We need to have another general election, because I think it is obvious that the our view and direction of the world has fundamentally changed.

All political parties now need to rework their manifesto's and we now need to make our choice based on what they propose on how we deal with this outcome.

Posted: Jun 25, 2016 By: threenine Member since: Nov 30, 2012
  10. Christine Hough

Christine Hough UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,117 602
    How do you work that out? Highest numbers coming out to vote than in any recent election and nearly 4 % difference.
    It is close but not close enough to be dubious.

Maybe some would vote differently today, but the date was set for the referendum and everyone knew the date and had had the economic warnings.

We cannot go back to where we were beforehand, even with another referendum. I think Boris would like another referendum and to be seen to get what David Cameron didn't get from Europe. But I am not sure th Eu will play ball.

Posted: Jun 25, 2016 By: Christine Hough Member since: Mar 31, 2006
  11. threenine

765 174
    Well the political landscape has shifted overnite. Which has brought with it more change.

This wasn't a general election, which effectively signifies a choice of leadership. We've had a prime minister resign, basically we've had all political parties torn in two . I do think we need a referendum or at least a general election to provide a consensus of what exactly this change entails.

It was completely apparent during the campaigns for this referendum that both sides blatantly lied. We now need some way to gauge public opinion on what exactly this path to change needs to look like and how it's implemented.

it's completely wrong to assume that people we've elected previously, who have campaigned for what they firmly believed to go ahead and put their hearts into implementing the opposite.

If anything I would expect to see more resignations and changes to the political landscape going forward.

So we either need at a minimum another referendum, but essentially another general election based on new manifesto's from all political parties and how they intend to proceed on this new path.

12. ShirleyM

ShirleyM UKBF Regular Free Member

238 81
    The EU will never survive long term. There is insufficient democracy, and they cannot withhold their perpetual bad news forever in order to fool people into staying. The people in many EU countries are realising what has been taken away from them, without their agreement.The UK isn't the only country who is deeply resentful.

It doesn't help the weaker economies if the stronger economies are bankrupted in the process of maintaining the Euro, and the Euro will never be abandoned because it is the cornerstone of a federal EU. The EU has failed both economically and politicially, and we can't do a damn thing about it because there is no alternative government in the EU.

It's their way or the highway, so we chose the highway.

Posted: Jun 25, 2016 By: ShirleyM Member since: May 5, 2016
  13. john1989

john1989 Guest

0 0
    Why do we need another referendum? We've had one and the people have spoken.

We should now be focusing on getting the country back on track.

14. boring-friday

boring-friday UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

566 166
    There won't be another referendum. There would be riots everywhere, remember its all us scummy types who voted out

Posted: Jun 25, 2016 By: boring-friday Member since: Jun 5, 2015
  15. threenine

765 174
    You've voted out, but yet you haven't voted for what that out looks like.

You've made a partial decision, but what you're saying, and this is what I fear, you have no real idea what out looks like other than notions of sovereignty and democracy. and if most public opinion is to be believed immigration control

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  16. john1989

john1989 Guest

0 0
    I think most people that voted out knew that there would be no guarantees after leaving.

But taking that chance was much better than remaining in the cesspit.

17. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,496 1,701
    We've come a long way on multinational tax dodging and that's because of the work the government's done in the OECD with the EU's support.

Being out of the EU, ironically, makes it more difficult for the UK to lead, as it has been doing, with respect clamping down on corporate tax dodging. Whatever other nonsense has been spouted elsewhere (from both sides of the campaign), I have zero doubt we're seriously disadvantaged now on tax dodgers. The EU will still cooperate on tax dodging, of course, but we can't lead the EU on this as we used to and demand, for example, the "beneficial owners" register at tax havens.

Posted: Jun 25, 2016 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  18. boring-friday

boring-friday UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

566 166
    Rule Britannia

Posted: Jun 25, 2016 By: boring-friday Member since: Jun 5, 2015
  19. threenine

765 174
    OMG! Welcome to 1816!

20. ShirleyM

ShirleyM UKBF Regular Free Member

238 81
    You should have stopped there! The EU have a path, and will stick to it resolutely, regardless of the damage caused.

Posted: Jun 25, 2016 By: ShirleyM Member since: May 5, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.