Is Shopify better than Prestashop etc?

anonuk

Free Member
Feb 27, 2014
Looking to get a new ecommerce store up and running within the next month. It'll have about 1,000 products for sale. Having always used Prestashop up to now (as a web developer in a past life), that would be my go to, but just wondering if Shopify will get me up and running quicker, and is Shopify more robust than a self hosted system?

100%, I always avoided Shpoify as it seemed an expensive option. I always hosted my own platforms using everything from oscommerce to magento. Always coding custom solutions.

Since then I have migrated all our own retail platforms to Shopify as well as migrated clients from WooCommerce.

No security headaches, high conversion, a lot of features can be modified.

You will need a premium theme, you will have to make some sacrifices, there will be things you can't do that you will want to do and won't understand why you can't.

But done properly it's a high converting, decent ecommerce platform.

Upvote 0
I don't have personal experience of EKM but have had clients who tried them and moved away.

Shopify on the whole works, their API's are powerful to allow a lot of interaction if that's your thing. Liquid is pretty powerful and with Online 2 due out this year that will get even more powerful.

I had to make some really heavy modifications to a client site using a premium theme and was able to get everything needed without too much trouble.

Theme upgrades should be easier moving forward as well.

Upvote 0
I've heard EKM is a good platform with awful customer service.

Speak to the chaps at @antropy about Open Cart. Cheaper than Shopify and can be customised. They can also advise on the social integration side.

Matt

Upvote 0

anonuk

Free Member
Feb 27, 2014
I've heard EKM is a good platform with awful customer service.

Speak to the chaps at @antropy about Open Cart. Cheaper than Shopify and can be customised. They can also advise on the social integration side.

Matt
I’m quite experienced at coding and have used Open Cart in the past.

If I was going to self host a site, I think I’d stick with prestashop so wouldn’t be interested in Open Cart at the moment.

Upvote 0
DM me if you want to see how the customised code goes, it's logic based

You generally don't need plugins for most things especially if you are experienced.

Upvote 0
I've setup many stores on Shopify and I highly recommend it.
Only the peace of mind of not having to manage the infrastructure is worth the cost.
They do it well. It's robust and they invest a lot in developing the platform.
All the improvements are just becoming available in your store with no effort for you. For me, that's another big advantage over hosting your own platform.

Upvote 0

antropy

OpenCart Experts
Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
West Sussex, UK
www.Antropy.co.uk
Thanks very much Matt.

Shopify is quick and easy and robust if you want a site up quickly without any back-end functionality customisation.

OpenCart is our favourite but Prestashop is also a great choice. Most of the others such as Magento are to be avoided!

Paul.

Upvote 0

anonuk

Free Member
Feb 27, 2014
Out of interest, does the fact that Shopify servers are overseas have any SEO impact on UK websites? I know this used to be a big thing but I've been out of the game for a while now.

I have ready a lot of reviews of Shopify and the amount of people that believe their websites have high conversion due to the fact they are using Shopify is beyond me, but I do like the idea of not having to worry about my web hosting server being hacked, etc.

Upvote 0
Out of interest, does the fact that Shopify servers are overseas have any SEO impact on UK websites? I know this used to be a big thing but I've been out of the game for a while now.

makes no difference, I moved a high ranking magneto site to Shopify with no SEO loss.

Shopify is a huge platform and from googles perspective it knows that. I suspect it gives it a boost albeit small due to the fact that it's a trusted platform and as such is less likely to be hacked etc..

Shopify is never fast but it doesn't hurt conversions.

I have ready a lot of reviews of Shopify and the amount of people that believe their websites have high conversion due to the fact they are using Shopify is beyond me, .....

I am sure there is some truth here as above as well as due to the way the themes work generally, less hacky and more focused. The fast checkout will increase conversions which in turn decreases bounce rate. It's all interconnected.

We ran a brand new stock + domain last year and picked up 2k a month in sales within 6 weeks without even listing the domain anywhere. Traffic/visitors found the site with zero interaction from us.

It's far from perfect, I work on Shopify every week and want to cry some times but it's now my goto platform for clients.

Upvote 0
Hello people.

New to the forum, so just thought I'd add my 2-pence worth to the discussion.

We're an online grocery delivery start-up and after having evaluated Magento, Woocommerce, Ecwid, Squarespace and Shopify - we settled on Shopify for offering the best overall service and value.

We evaluated the following (in no particular order):
  • Annual cost (We paid Shopify upfront for a year)
  • Flexibility and bespoke features
  • Level of coding required
  • 3rd party app support
  • Forums/community support
  • Ease of use
  • UX/UI and aesthetics
So in all but one of the above factors, Shopify came out top. The only thing it was beaten in was flexibility and bespoke features, for which we concluded Magento was the best option. But like most start-ups, we felt in our first 12-18 months at least, we wouldn't need the detailed level of bespoke features that would be needed perhaps once we were pretty well established.

So far, aside from a few teething errors and the occasional software bug, we're quite happy with Shopify but as with all software, you always wish things could be smoother/faster and less buggy.

Will keep the forum posted with updates in the future.

Regards
Naz Hussain
SaveCo Online

Upvote 0
Oh dear, you didn't do very thorough research then did you?

Paul.
LOL, what do you mean? We thought we had! What obvious thing did we miss out?

EDIT: Oh I see you mean with regards to me saying that for bespoke features, Magento was the best option. Well, I may be inclined to agree that we didn't do thorough research in this aspect, since overall Shopify was still the best option so it didn't matter much in the grand scheme.

Reactions: MarcusUK21
Upvote 0

antropy

OpenCart Experts
Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
West Sussex, UK
www.Antropy.co.uk
LOL, what do you mean? We thought we had! What obvious thing did we miss out?

EDIT: Oh I see you mean with regards to me saying that for bespoke features, Magento was the best option. Well, I may be inclined to agree that we didn't do thorough research in this aspect, since overall Shopify was still the best option so it didn't matter much in the grand scheme.
Indeed, most developers agree that Magento is an absolute bloated beast of a piece of software and incredibly difficult to work with. Because of the complexity it requires a beast of a server too.

More info here: https://www.antropy.co.uk/blog/the-lure-of-magento/

Paul.

Upvote 0
Aah, I see. Honestly, we never really got beyond a mere superficial comparison between Shopify and Magento. We concluded that for the substantial increase in annual cost, the added benefits of flexibility lent by Magento were a bit of an overkill for us in the start-up phase.

I also was a bit confused with Magento's status - originally I thought it was open source but understand it's since been acquired by Adobe. So I'm guessing it's more of a proprietary solution now any way.

Upvote 0

antropy

OpenCart Experts
Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
West Sussex, UK
www.Antropy.co.uk
the added benefits of flexibility lent by Magento were a bit of an overkill for us in the start-up phase.
And Magento is only flexible if you're prepared to pay a lot for development because it's so complex everything takes much longer and costs more.

I also was a bit confused with Magento's status - originally I thought it was open source but understand it's since been acquired by Adobe. So I'm guessing it's more of a proprietary solution now any way.
Last time I checked (which was a few years ago) there was a free and open source Community Edition (CE) and a massively expensive paid edition.

Anyway, I agree Shopify is great if you don't need much customisation. If you do then look at OpenCart or Prestashop because they're both great platforms and both much, much easier to work with - and therefore cheaper in development cost - than Magento.

Paul.

Upvote 0
Cheers Paul. I'm sure at some point in the not too distant future we'll outgrow Shopify (the main bug bear being the seemingly endless need to use third party apps to achieve the functionality we require but I assume it's the same for most platforms) and at that point we'll be researching better alternatives.

Upvote 0

Subscribe to our newsletters

ukbf logo
ukbf logo

Real community whatever your business.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu