In extreme pain with SEO!

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by BeautyStartUp, May 8, 2019.

1. BeautyStartUp

BeautyStartUp UKBF Newcomer Free Member

19 3
    Hi lovely people,

Had some real gems of advice and support here recently so I though I'd put this one out there for you all to mull over.

For context: 1 year old (just) ecommerce site selling niche, relatively unknown natural skincare & bodycare brands. Just re-branded and improved the UX on site plus customer loyalty scheme etc etc. Got around 120 products for sale, increasing to 150 by the Summer.

Ahrefs - when I did some research on Ahrefs I could have cried (ok, so I did cry a little bit ;) My DA is low, my competitors are outranking me by miles. My organic search volume is under 50% what they are. (BUT for me it has increased by 50% in the past 3/4 months which suggest I am *slowly* improving my rankings with what I have done already) I have very few backlinks and those that I do have are pretty useless (low DAs from bloggers). I rank for hardly any key words that I hoped I would. My site is running slowish despite me getting my developer to do all the usual stuff (it's around 3-3.5 sec load time atm).

HELP! I am running this webshop part time around so much else at the moment but I have some time over the Summer to really hammer it on SEO and to set some proper targets but being a novice I really don't know where.to.start. Here's my attempts at a basic plan, am I doing it all wrong or is this on the right lines?

1. Tackle web speed. I don't know how, but I may have to ditch my developer and find someone who can help with this. I know for ecommerce it *should* be under 2 secs ideally. Or am I being unrealistic? Using woocommerce. I hate it ;)
    2. Research and then choose around 3-4 keywords/long tail searches and create a ranking strategy for these words. This would involve - getting backlinks from trusted sites / creating valuable blog content /collaborations with influencers etc. Make sure my content/products for these keywords are fully optimised for SEO. Which platform should I use for this to monitor progress?
    3. Hustle like a mothaf*(ker to get my site listed in some Trusted High Ranked sites like the Independent/Glamour/Elle etc in online articles for some beauty products in my store. I have some really unique products that no one else is selling so I could focus on those (on trend, plastic free etc etc). Any tips on this?
    4. Directory listings - get listed in as many directories as I can get my hands on, particularly those in the South West where I am based (growing a local customer base appears to be easier) so that have get more backlinks. Is this worth spending much time on?

Finally - I have NO money at the moment. So this is going to have to be hard graft and legwork rather than paying for someone else to do the dirty. I am a really good salesperson so I can hustle, no problem, but I am going to have to learn everything else as I go along.

Any thoughts/feedback? Am I missing something HUGE here?

Posted: May 8, 2019 By: BeautyStartUp Member since: Mar 6, 2019
  2. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Regular Free Member

224 39
    Concentrate on this. Since you say you have no money though you may have to start locally and build traction over time. Eventually you will get a lucky break.

A one year old site isn't going to perform very well in organic search, it is going to take time. I wouldn't waste to much time analysing things you have little or no control over either - it's the route to insanity.

Posted: May 8, 2019 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  3. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,960 1,366
    My site hit #1 in Google UK within the first six months of its existence. And that's for highly competitive terms like Business Transfer Agent and Business Broker. I've not been doing SEO for a while but my site should still be near the top for those terms.

So I don't buy the argument that a one year old site is too young to perform well in SERPS.

If the OP doesn't know his SEO and doesn't have the money to spend then s/he should be targeting those marketing methods that involve the best use of time (instead of trying for organic traffic).

But, OP, if you want some tips on SEO, send me a DM with a link to your site and let me take a look. But, no, links from directories and "high ranking sites" is not the magic solution.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Posted: May 8, 2019 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  4. NickGrogan

NickGrogan UKBF Ace Free Member

1,762 382
    Do this, everything else will follow.

Website speed should be fairly easy to fix, maybe upgrade the server or use a content delivery network to speed everything up.

Directories are worthless.

Bloggers/influencers aren't as important as they think. Get into Glamour / Elle and they'll call you.

Maybe try and get on This Morning, they do a regular beauty spot and need something to talk about.

Posted: May 8, 2019 By: NickGrogan Member since: Nov 15, 2012
  5. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

8,066 1,695
    What helped me massively when my business was quite new, was providing a comment to an online news website. I then got an email from the BBC asking if I wanted to appear on the news. My first instinct, because I actually have a phobia about public speaking, was to say no but I forced myself to say yes. They came later that day and interviewed me (my products were shown in the background) and featured me on the BBC breakfast news the next morning. The story then appeared on the World News. After that I got requests for radio interviews and even students doing projects for university etc.

It was something really mundane - in this case, a news story about a postal strike - and I had written a bit of a rant online about how my business was affected.

My website crashed under the number of hits but the publicity from that day lasted me for years and got me many loyal customers from all over the world. The news story had been watched as far away as USA and Australia.

I have also been interviewed by LBC and other radio stations about my products subsequently and been invited to do two photoshoot features in Women's magazines (Prima and Woman & Home) which linger in surgery waiting rooms for years.

With your unique products and special environmental angles, you can do the same and get free publicity. Make comments and mention your business and the media will find you. You don't need to pay to advertise.

Posted: May 8, 2019 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. BeautyStartUp

19 3

7. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Regular Free Member

224 39
    Most of us do. There are few people who are brilliant and will always be successful but most of us are either lucky, too stubborn to give up, or a bit of both.

Posted: May 8, 2019 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  8. Tin

Tin Just an SEO Staff Member

5,826 1,598
    Hi there

I've been doing SEO since 1996 and have created what I think is a pretty decent course about SEO and other online marketing platforms. It is heavily focused for eCommerce shops. If you sign up for the free course I'll happily upgrade you to the full course for nothing and give you a few hours of 1-2-1 consultancy to get you going in the right direction from the outset.

There's a thread on here that another SEO started 4 years ago about my course here which might be worth a read.

@Clinton above has kindly suggested that you contact him, I strongly suggest that you do. He's a good guy and does know his way around the SEO world so don't miss that opportunity either.

You've got a steep learning curve ahead of you so best wishes.

Ray

Posted: May 8, 2019 By: Tin Member since: Nov 14, 2005
  9. Clinton

3,960 1,366
    @BeautyStartUp , forget my offer, this is a far better one:

Posted: May 8, 2019 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  10. BeautyStartUp

19 3
    Hi Ray, wow thank you for your kind offer, that's amazing. I will look into your course definitely, I feel a bit like every time I research something about SEO I get told another conflicting bit of information so my head is spinning a little bit. I know I need to be focused on results, and although I am in it for the long game (like Darren_Ssc said I am basically pretty stubborn in between the doubting myself!) I don't want to be a 'busy fool' as they say. I am also incredibly time poor so anything I do needs to be giving me maximum results. Thank you all its been helpful to vent a little on here!

11. Darkterror

Darkterror UKBF Contributor Free Member

32 3
    Search engine optimization is very important for any site, so long as you still have the hopes of ranking top. It is very possible, and whatever pains its taking you through, remember you are neither the first nor the last to go through that. Work on the speed an optimize it for different device interfaces and you'll be good to go. Only determined people succeed here

Posted: May 9, 2019 By: Darkterror Member since: Mar 17, 2019
  12. Borim

Borim UKBF Newcomer Free Member

16 1
    How do you plan to get listed in all that fashion outlets like that ? Do you really do something like outreach to them via e-mail ? Or maybe you are contacting them via other ways like phone or something like that ? I advice to call and make a schedule date of the article.

Posted: May 9, 2019 By: Borim Member since: Mar 30, 2019
  13. billybob99

billybob99 UKBF Regular Free Member

890 163
    I will be honest, when I took a look at the Fresh Bananas website I thought the course would be a load of BS.

But don't let looks deceive you.

My friend has been paying $997 a month for a 12 month course from this guy. The problem is there is so much stuff you don't know where to start, and he isn't actually getting anywhere.

You can apply the stuff from Fresh Bananas instantly.

This is coming from someone that has used BlackHat tactics for the majority of my sites. I thought I would give it a shot and try to get my head around it.

I was sceptical especially as I hate reading or learning stuff like this. But it does what it says it will do.

[​IMG]

Posted: May 9, 2019 By: billybob99 Member since: Apr 23, 2013
  14. 1977

1977 UKBF Regular Full Member

193 21
    Another vote for Ray’s course.

I was a beta tester for it before it was launched back in 2014 and it’s very good/clear, well worth the money.

Gonna be diving back into it very soon, too.

Posted: May 9, 2019 By: 1977 Member since: May 10, 2012
  15. parkingandsecurity

parkingandsecurity UKBF Regular Full Member

167 23
    I also signed up for the fresh bananas course but was apprehensive - what if the £197 wasn't worth it. I havent had further time to follow it up yet BUT all the reviews on here are glowing - not a single bad thing has been said. I just wanted to make sure it was "for me"

Posted: May 10, 2019 By: parkingandsecurity Member since: Sep 7, 2018
  16. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,101 8,834
    Wow! It looks like we have all been doing it wrong. All I need to do is everything for 6 months.

You aren't from around here are you @Archana Luthra (with an Indian website but pretending to be from the United state (sic)).

Posted: May 10, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  17. Clinton

3,960 1,366
    Just curious, @fisicx, why don't you lot just ban these characters?

Posted: May 10, 2019 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  18. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,101 8,834
    It's a bit of a fine line. If we banned everyone who posts stupid stuff there wouldn't be many members left. But a lot do get banned before you ever see their posts.

Posted: May 10, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  19. Clinton

3,960 1,366
    Not "stupid" posts. Stupid posts should be allowed or I wouldn't be here myself. ;)

But you can ban people from India / Pakistan etc., who go out of their way to pretend they are UK/US based. And you can ban all new posters who post fluff.

Posted: May 10, 2019 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  20. billybob99

billybob99 UKBF Regular Free Member

890 163
    You beat me to it.

Posted: May 10, 2019 By: billybob99 Member since: Apr 23, 2013