How we can stop global warming

Discussion in 'Green Business' started by Devvert, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Digger

Digger UKBF Regular Free Member

290 40

Not crazy logic at all

not turning = no leccy
    100% NAILED ON FACT

High Demand ( cold weather ) + no leccy = Y

where Y = INEFFECTIVE

Posted: Feb 3, 2011 By: Digger Member since: Jun 20, 2006
  2. Merchant UK

Merchant UK UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,419 592

Jeremy Nicholson, director of the Energy Intensive Users Group, which represents major companies employing hundreds of thousands of workers in the steel, glass, pottery, paper and chemical industries, said the failure of wind power had profound implications.

He was speaking after new figures showed that during the latest cold snap wind turbines produced less than two per cent of the nation’s electricity.

Now Mr Nicholson predicts that the Government will encourage power companies to build billions of pounds worth of standby power stations in case of further prolonged wind failures.

And the cost of the standby generation will be paid for by industry and households through higher bills – which could double by 2020.
    Industry regulator Ofgem has already calculated that the cost of achieving sustainable energy targets – set by Brussels but backed by the British Government – will amount to £200 billion, which will mean that annual household fuel bills will double to about £2,400 on average within the next ten years.

Mr Nicholson said:

Posted: Feb 3, 2011 By: Merchant UK Member since: Aug 15, 2010
  3. sarky

sarky UKBF Regular Free Member

155 33
    Please use Google and search: wind turbine subsidies site:UK

You can see that we are paying these investors to put up turbines. This kind of reminds me of my town (this is a bit of a metaphysical argument, so bear with me): we have six bus companies in a town of 50,000 with bus stops every 400 yards. The buses, except for peak periods, are empty. Are these bus companies doing so well they can afford to provide such an outstanding service? No: it's the £7m they get per year from the county council. The fares are irrelevant.

So, what I'm trying to say is that where there is a fat subsidy, there'll be someone ready to take it. The subsidy is important, the money for the electricity they generate is less so.

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 By: sarky Member since: Jul 7, 2010
  4. skiesnpies

skiesnpies UKBF Newcomer Free Member

71 5
    Well, lets use your [HUGE FAIL] logic then if you really insist - I have just been on a bike ride in the last hour and there was a turbine spinning merrily around so you are quite clearly and categorically wrong by your own measures. This is so utterly dumb I can't believe I am bothering to respond but ho-hum......

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 By: skiesnpies Member since: Jan 13, 2011
  5. skiesnpies

71 5
    Again, this logic is so flawed my cat could see through it - ie. write off the whole technology by looking at one short period when it wasn't windy. I am amazed more people are not insulted by this patronising drivel never mind believing it.

6. vvaannmmaann

vvaannmmaann UKBF Legend Free Member

13,111 3,369
    I wouldn't mind it being a little warmer in East Sussex today.That wind is bitter.My dog,usually very keen to smell every rabbit squirrel and fox track that has been through my field, ran actually ran back into the house.

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 By: vvaannmmaann Member since: Nov 6, 2007
  7. AdamJ

AdamJ UKBF Newcomer Free Member

775 170
    And the 'believers' wonder why the message seems to have stalled in the general public's consciousness...

It was quite widely reported that when the UK gets really cold spells such as in December 2010, not just when it's 'a bit nippy', that it is frequently associated with a lull in winds and the low-pressure causing the unusually cold period stalls over the UK rendering wind turbines mostly ineffective just at a time of peak electricity demand, which is what happened during the prolonged cold in December.

Even even I as someone who's couldn't give a monkeys about it managed to glean that much from the news. Maybe more research, less mindless insulting and more reasonable debating may bring people to your point of view? At the moment you just read like a bit of a web-nutter common to forums the web-over.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
    Posted: Feb 4, 2011 By: AdamJ Member since: Oct 12, 2007
  8. Digger

290 40
    No...my "logic" stands up very well as it happens.

What part of "not turning" is hard to decipher?
    :rolleyes:

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 By: Digger Member since: Jun 20, 2006
  9. skiesnpies

71 5
    Since when do wind turbines have to turn every minute of every day to be effective? I simply don't get that you don't understand the idea of averages?
    Clearly they have down time and so need to be part of a balance of solutions, but that doesn't render the technology in some way useless? That is patently nonsense. Its like claiming cars are useless because you see some parked ones?

As for the subsidy, this is also laughable - how do you think the coal fire power stations and most definitely the nuclear ones got built - and why do you think that now that they are privatised - nobody is volunteering to build some new ones? They were hugely subsidised - so does that make them a non-viable technology ?

10. Digger

290 40
    "Its like claiming cars are useless because you see some parked ones?"

nothing like that at all - the cars PRIMARY purpose is Transportation - when it is parked, it is normally as a result of having achieved this....and therefore fully effective.

An "energy source" that bails out when it is needed most- is - on balance - karp.

clearly a wind up

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 By: Digger Member since: Jun 20, 2006
  11. skiesnpies

71 5
    there are really too many trolls in these forums I think, gotten a bit boring.

12. vvaannmmaann

vvaannmmaann UKBF Legend Free Member

13,111 3,369
    Oh right,so as people have the temerity to disagree with you they are trolls?

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 By: vvaannmmaann Member since: Nov 6, 2007
  13. An Oasis

An Oasis UKBF Newcomer Full Member

9,901 1,684
    No one really knows, nor can anyone really prove whether it's a natural cycle or manmade or even a combination of the two.

Personally, I believe that mankind should get off its selfish arse and take more responsibility for what we do. But no matter who you talk to on the subject they will all have a selfish agenda, usually revolving around money.

So how about the old adage that prevention is better than cure? You'll find that nature does things a lot more efficiently than mankind and without many side effects.

It's difficult to find a website that is not horribly preachy on the subject but this one is better than most. When you have a few minutes have a read and see if it makes sense to you, if it does throw the idea at other people and see if it makes sense to them.

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 By: An Oasis Member since: Oct 3, 2006
  14. marcuz88

marcuz88 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

26 1
    Save as much paper as we could.. We are one of the largest consumer of papers..

Posted: Feb 5, 2011 By: marcuz88 Member since: Feb 5, 2011
  15. marcuz88

marcuz88 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

26 1
    But the fact is, we cannot stop global warming.. all we can do is to slow it down..

too sad, I just hope that this 2012 things is a lie..

Posted: Feb 6, 2011 By: marcuz88 Member since: Feb 5, 2011
  16. skiesnpies

71 5
    Not at all. People who make sweeping statements (repeatedly) with no explanation / evidence and disregard other evidence placed in front of them without any counter argument - are trolls.
    I love a good debate, its hard to debate somebody who won't engage with science and evidence - its a bit like debating the existence of god when somebody says "I know he exists because I can feel it" - you can't really go far from that point and it gets a bit boring to try.

Posted: Feb 7, 2011 By: skiesnpies Member since: Jan 13, 2011
  17. skiesnpies

71 5
    I totally agree with this point, even if you refuse to engage in the climate change issue, oil IS finite, coal IS finite, natural gas IS finite (although replacements can be made with biodigesters). However much oil we discover , it will still run out one day and we are wasting stacks of it. To me, this is reason alone to get uncoupled from the stuff - causes more wars and trouble, be nice to be independent of it.
    Also, we are living well beyond our means as a species - climate change or otherwise, the earth can't support our standard of living as we currently live with the level of population. Sustainable development is the only long term solution.

I am not sure I entirely agree here though. Nobody really knows or can prove that evolution exists, it just looks pretty damn likely. We assume that it is correct in the absence of a better theory (except for a few nutters with a non-science religious agenda). I agree that the climate change evidence is far from clear cut, but there is a fairly heavy consensus among scientists.

Posted: Feb 7, 2011 By: skiesnpies Member since: Jan 13, 2011
  18. garytulley

garytulley UKBF Newcomer Free Member

758 134
    I've been thinking about the effects of global warming for some time now. Although the natual cycle is taking place, the changes that have happened in the last 100 years would normally take 1,000s of years without human intevention. You only have to look at the coral reefs to see the effect it is having on our eco systems.

Alot of people seem to think that a tiny little change wont make a difference but when you multiply that change by the amount of people on the planet, that number is no longer small.

When you look at a picture, is it all one colour? Or is it made up of thousands of tiny dots? :)

For those that are interested I've posted a video I made about global warming. Maybe some of you out there will appreciate it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3kSoUBfcuY

Posted: Feb 7, 2011 By: garytulley Member since: Jan 4, 2011
  19. iArtist

iArtist Guest

0 0
    I was up until very recently a climate change skeptic, but after much debate I've had a bit of a turn-about, anyway I am now doing my bit to help raise awareness re the various issues.

[​IMG]

Posted: Feb 8, 2011 By: iArtist Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  20. Merchant UK

Merchant UK UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,419 592
    Global warming happens because humans are on the planet with tiny brains for not seeing what it really is A Cash Cow for the Government.

If we were really concerned about Global warming we'd stop ships using bunker fuel, Do a google and you'll see what that is, Its one of the worst, dirtiest fuels known to man and burn by Ships worldwide, That pollutes the planet more than all the cars in the world alone.

Flying - Why don't we charge the airline more for their fuel, tuff luck that you can't afford then to go on holiday, its saving the planet or 2 weeks in spain??

Get USA, Russia China and India on board, without them helping to cut CO2 its pointless anyone even trying, let alone using it as an excuse to tax us even more

Its like being on a boat thats skinking, and yet you try and rent it out for fishing?? Bit pointless really.

http://www.socialfunds.com/news/article.cgi/2438.html

Posted: Feb 8, 2011 By: Merchant UK Member since: Aug 15, 2010