How we can stop global warming

Discussion in 'Green Business' started by Devvert, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Devvert

Devvert UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    how does the global warming is going to affect our planet? What can we do about it? Is it as real as people say it is?

Posted: Jan 29, 2011 By: Devvert Member since: Nov 14, 2008
  2. wecandobiz

wecandobiz UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,187 279
    Yes, it's real. It's been warming up since the Ice Age ended. What I don't believe is real is that Man has any significant impact on it.

Don't get me wrong, we should reduce our affect on the environment as much as we possibly can, in all ways. Living sustainably is common sense and our gross consumerism goes against all we know is good and wise. But believing we have made a big impact and we can change it back, focusing on very specific pollutants (CO2) rather than them all, and using it all as an excuse to tax us is stupid in the extreme.

The recent recession and lack of security has made us less willing to pay more for so-called "green" products while, ironically, reducing our comsumption in many cases.

Posted: Jan 29, 2011 By: wecandobiz Member since: Apr 11, 2008
  3. skiesnpies

skiesnpies UKBF Newcomer Free Member

71 5
    WebCanDoBiz, be interested to know which bits of the evidence on climate change being man made, you have issue with and what your alternative explanations are?

Posted: Jan 31, 2011 By: skiesnpies Member since: Jan 13, 2011
  4. wecandobiz

1,187 279
    All of it. I've never seen anything that someone else couldn't explain. Not all scientists agree on this, it's just that the doubters get shouted down.

And my explanation for the climate changing is "that's what it does". It's how I can live on the side of a hill in Buckinghamshire without getting squashed by a glacier.

Global warming will end up being just as exagerated as the threat to civilsation from AIDS, H5N1, the constant tsunamis that were forecast after the Boxing Day incident and a whole load of other tosh that scientists have warned us about but have shown to have been a complete over reaction.

I am not sure whether to blame the scientific community, the Daily Mail or politicians for believing and then setting policies around the heresay of both.

Posted: Jan 31, 2011 By: wecandobiz Member since: Apr 11, 2008
  5. skiesnpies

71 5
    "Not all scientists agree on this" - nope, but the % that do is in the high nineties. A fact the media for some reason seldom report.

Of course climate changes and would change with or without us, but CO2 levels have rocketed in recent years, its an insulating gas, and climate measurements show unprecedented increases in average global temperatures. As far as I can see, this is a fairly established fact, not a theory.

Just because one scientist can try and explain away something, doesn't make the other 99 scientists wrong. And of course, the 99 could be wrong, but less likely you would think. Perhaps they get shouted down because the can't provide the evidence to back it up (I have yet to see anything other than odd anomalies - and odd anomalies occur all the time by chance and can be expected in any research results).
    JJ

PS. Some countries have > 25% of working adults infected with HIV (with little chance of reliable drug treatment). I would say thats quite a problem (nobody ever claimed it was a threat to civilisation as far as I am aware).

Posted: Jan 31, 2011 By: skiesnpies Member since: Jan 13, 2011
  6. wecandobiz

1,187 279
    I'm not getting drawn into yet another debate on this. I'm not going to argue that CO2 levels haven't increased even. I just don't get why CO2 seems to be all that matters, as if all other pollutants are just no longer relevant. Or perhaps the rest just aren't increasing in a way that suits the argument.

Whetever. It's our responsibility to reduce our OVERALL effect on the environment. I'll continue to do that by not taking needless trips, rampant consumerisim, not buying things with excessive packaging so I don't need to recycle and the like and not caring one jot about my CO2 levels.

Posted: Jan 31, 2011 By: wecandobiz Member since: Apr 11, 2008
  7. Merchant UK

Merchant UK UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,419 592
    Remember the good old days where taxes were bought in to prevent the ozone layer hole from getting bigger and that we all were going to die of radiation ;) that didn't happen in the end, so they had to come up with another horror story to tax us to the hilt again.

Yes Global Warming!! We're all going to die :D (After spending billions on taxes) oh well in a few years time, when we're all still here, it'll be something else........ I say they should bring back hanging for those people that leave their dustbin lids open by 25mm, a £1000 fine and a criminal record is not enough, even worst what about those families that put their rubbish out a day early :eek: The horrors are too graphic to even try to explain.

Its the end of the world :eek::eek:

Posted: Feb 1, 2011 By: Merchant UK Member since: Aug 15, 2010
  8. skiesnpies

71 5
    Taxes to prevent ozone layer? There were no taxes? Nobody said we were going to die of radiation either? You should stop reading the Daily Mail mate:)

Posted: Feb 1, 2011 By: skiesnpies Member since: Jan 13, 2011
  9. skiesnpies

71 5
    As for "I'm not getting drawn into yet another debate on this" - as far as I can see, nobody on the denial side ever does, I have yet to see a convincing scientific argument which uses more than a single dataset, has been peer reviewed and has been repeated with the same results being show (ie. it has been done SCIENTIFICALLY).

There are loads of reasons why it may suit some people to deny climate change exists or claim it is not man made, there are plenty of vested interests. Of course there are also a few on the other side that could be accused of having good reason to promote it (renewable energy suppliers etc etc), but I am constantly baffled as to why people accuse governments of having made it up - usually stating that its an excuse to raise taxes!
    To me, climate change is the absolute WORST nightmare for a government - it is a huge threat to the economy (although could be somewhat reduced if treated as a way to stimulate growth as is starting to happen). Also, taxation is hugely unpopular with voters, why invent something which means increasing tax?
    Tax's on climate change haven't even STARTED to kick in yet anyway, there are not that many. Road tax has gone DOWN if you have an efficient car, airline travel taxes are high now, but that only balances the fact that the fuel is tax free in the first place. Many eco taxes (CCL for example) were totally revenue neutral.

Its hard to have any kind of sensible conversation about this when those taking the opposing argument fail to provide any facts or evidence, but when people post unsubstantiated claims, I feel somebody needs to point out the flaws given the media's reluctance to cover things accurately.

10. Merchant UK

2,419 592

As well as the Climate change proffessionals who were also caught out lying and sexing up the figures ;)

Was it in there too was it???

Posted: Feb 1, 2011 By: Merchant UK Member since: Aug 15, 2010
  11. skiesnpies

71 5
    LOL, if you actually look into it in depth though, even that was blown out of proportion, it was a non-story that was clung to in a way that would make any limpet very proud :)

12. Digger

Digger UKBF Regular Free Member

290 40
    Just thinking on my feet...not an exhaustive list by any means

Eat less Beef
    ABSOLUTELY NO air travel
    Ships should have Sails, nothing else.
    No cars AT ALL
    No central Leccy..unless from millions of windmills and sunny panels
    And MOST importantly....STOP BREEDING!!!!

just for staters like..........I mean...it's really urgent isn't it...we should of like stopped breeding years ago.!!!!

Posted: Feb 1, 2011 By: Digger Member since: Jun 20, 2006
  13. skiesnpies

71 5
    Just rumbled the wifes policy in the bedroom, its environmental concerns :|

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  14. Digger

290 40
    tell her to eat less sprouts ;)

Posted: Feb 1, 2011 By: Digger Member since: Jun 20, 2006
  15. sarky

sarky UKBF Regular Free Member

142 31
    If you reversed your comments to the sceptical side of the argument they would apply equally. I've not seen any scientific proof that global warming (or climate change as we have to call it now to avoid the 'problem/blip' of recent global cooling) is convincing either.

There are loads of environmental scientists and Marxists who have a vested interest in promoting this type of issue. 'Globalization is bad; small self-sufficient collectives are good. No one makes a profit, we're all equally as miserable.' 'I'm a scientist, only I know the truth 'cos I did a 3-year course in East Anglia.'

My feeling is that the climate is changing but by how much and why is not clear. I've read some convincing stuff that it is methane which is more of a problem than carbon dioxide in causing temperature variations.

In any case, the cooling effects of the soot and dust from burning fossil fuels will hopefully cancel out the warming effects of carbon dioxide!

When I was a kid we worried about nuclear winters - now that would really be climate change.

Posted: Feb 2, 2011 By: sarky Member since: Jul 7, 2010
  16. Merchant UK

2,419 592
    I think people given the change would simply love to save the planet, what puts people off is that the government see that we like this and decide to tax us like crazy.

Take wind turbines, Each costs 3 million and now there are doubts that they are effective, silly thing is when its working they only are a percentage effective at generating electricity and we pratically need hundreds to even make it worthwhile.

So 3 million of taxpayers money goes as a grant to a foreign engery supplier like EDF, who inturn charge us one of the highest electicity price tarriffs in europe for power from a wind turbine which effectively the taxpayers own. They make Millions in profit, we pay Hundreds more each year for our engery, and thats why people hate the very concept of Global Warming.

Posted: Feb 3, 2011 By: Merchant UK Member since: Aug 15, 2010
  17. skiesnpies

71 5
    Hang on, the reason PRIVATE investors are putting wind turbines up is that they ARE effective - exactly what criteria are you using to state they are ineffective?

As far as I know, there are NO grants for putting up large scale wind turbines. Business is funding them because they pay for themselves. Can you explain where your 3 million pound grant for the cost of a single wind turbine has come from?

Posted: Feb 3, 2011 By: skiesnpies Member since: Jan 13, 2011
  18. Digger

290 40
    "exactly what criteria are you using to state they are ineffective?"

...er...the fact they they stopped turning? that would be one.

like those dopey road signs that are springing up - seems like 1/2 the time their default condition...is OFF/BLANKETY BLANK/ZERO/NADA.

So utterly utterly pointless...not to mention down right dangerous!!! :mad:

Posted: Feb 3, 2011 By: Digger Member since: Jun 20, 2006
  19. skiesnpies

71 5
    Thats the same crazy logic as "it is cold today therefore there is no global warming"

Posted: Feb 3, 2011 By: skiesnpies Member since: Jan 13, 2011
  20. AdamJ

AdamJ UKBF Newcomer Free Member

775 170
    I occupy some middle ground on this in that I don't really care. I have a sneaky feeling a lot of others also have the same position on this but you normally get the more hysterical element shouting that 'you must care' rather than just accepting not everyone gives it the same weight.

Whether it is man-made or natural, or even ocurring, is just not something I give a huge amount of importance or weight to. Common sense says try and use less stuff and do less harm. I don't have, nor ever want to have, kids (and given I'm 40+ that's pretty much a given now), and as having kids is the most environentally damaging thing anyone can do I consider it a free pass to the world of 4x4s and as many flights as I want, and I still won't do as much damage as some eco-beardy with a kid or two.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
    Posted: Feb 3, 2011 By: AdamJ Member since: Oct 12, 2007