Help with Organization

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Planofaction, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Planofaction

Planofaction UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 0
    Hi All,

Firstly thank you for any and all input, I know how time consuming it can be helping others.

I will completely honest and upfront about my goals and I am not bothered about judgements, positive or negative I know what mission I have in mind.

Stephen Covey - win/win, why should I not benefit if I can benefit all other parties?

I want to start an organization specifically in the t.v/film industry, I currently work within this industry and see opportunities to help others get involved and build careers, I see ways to benefit the world in a psychological sense, I see how local communities to myself can benefit by involving those with mental health related issues into roles suitable to their needs, I could list many ways in which I will benefit others from young adults, unemployed, small businesses, universities, etc.

The issue I face will be drawing a suitable income to maintain my lifestyle at the present moment, allowing me to fully immerse myself into the mission. I essentially would want that same income and I know the value for the money that that income actually involves, my focus and ingenuity, dedication and time spent.

The options are,

Charity
    Pros - easier to gain funding (government,other charities), tax relief for donations from businesses
    Cons - finding trustees who will follow my direction, making myself and employee thus removing my control over organization ?

Social enterprise
    Pros - be the CEO and fund myself directly
    Cons - difficult to generate any income, no tax relief for businesses, no tax exemptions for business

So I have a slight dilemma, as the work I will be doing, generally would not be able to generate an income, atleast I am not sure if finding work for the unemployed would pay the business, if directing young adults towards careers in the industry, directing them to universities, etc would get me paid?

Would approaching a university, college, telling them that I can increase applications in certain roles for a fee would be something they would consider?

In my mind, I could help hundreds directly, I won't claim to be able to change the lives of millions just yet, although should the organization get to a place where we could produce our own t.v/films, then the impact could be as dramatic as impacting on the world, teaching and educating in a way through the arts, after all many of the ideas surrounding the current issues with covid, seem to be represented previously in films like contagion, so surely there is a way to impact human behaviours through this industry.

Thank you for taking the time to read and welcome all feedback,

Best regards,
    Corey.

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 By: Planofaction Member since: Feb 22, 2021
  2. Scalloway

Scalloway UKBF Legend Free Member

16,881 3,592
    Can you test the concept by doing it in a small way to see if there is interest in what you want to do?

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 By: Scalloway Member since: Jun 6, 2010
  3. Planofaction

8 0
    Hi,

That is the plan, though I already have a general certainty that this will be needed and useful for local communities, along with the expansion and tax relief in the UK for this industry for foreign productions, the UK, especially in places, will be a hive of activity with not a great deal of experienced workers to aid the growth that's coming.

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 By: Planofaction Member since: Feb 22, 2021
  4. Scalloway

Scalloway UKBF Legend Free Member

16,881 3,592
    I would suggest sitting down and writing a business plan of just how you plan to do this. Working everything out on paper will help concentrate your mind.

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 By: Scalloway Member since: Jun 6, 2010
  5. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Legend Full Member

10,833 4,636
    No chance!

I work in TV and film - or rather, I would if it were not for the C19 madness that has closed down all current projects - I began with Granada back in the days of 405-line B&W.

My 30-cents-worth -

1. There are trade unions that do exactly what you describe. Whether you are a gaffer, a rigger, front-of-camera talent, or a focus puller, there is a union there to take care of you in all the things you describe.

2. The industry has more or less decided where it draws its talent from. There are about 150 university courses churning out graduates, most of which are useless - and yes, I do mean both the graduates and the courses. Talking to useless universities touting bogus courses with no proper links to the industry will only make the problems kids have today so much worse!

3. You seem to be rather keen on getting an income out of this 'charity'. If you want to start a charity, there is nothing to stop you from doing this in your spare time and using your own money.

4. As for changing society by making TV programmes and films - I've heard that too many times already! There seems to be some naive belief doing the rounds in TV, film, music and theatre that by having the local fat girl with an unfortunate squint prancing about a stage in her nighty, telling the world that she is a flower pot, society will be improved in some intangible way.

5. If you want to improve the psychological condition of the nation, get the powers-that-be to commission better programmes and make the watching of films by the Coen Brothers mandatory. The rubbish that is churned out on free-to-air and the streaming rubbish gives one the impression that it was written by retarded eight-year-olds who eschewed the 12-point script format because they preferred crayon.

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  6. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

27,285 3,347
    Charity - you can control it or you can earn money from it. Very rare to do both - some years less than a dozen people were both trustees and got a wage, out of 190,000 charities. And need permission to even do that.
    And the trustees of the charity can decide to take it in a different direction than you, decide to terminate your employment etc.

Charities also have the problem of they recently lost a major chunk of their funding. There are multiple sources but demand for charity funding is incredibly high, most years far outstripping available money. Lose a chunk of payroll giving, lose a chunk of corporate sponsorship, lose a portion of corporate donations - and everyone scramble madly for the rest.

You could earn money by contracting as a business.

Government are quite keen to contract work - you won't be big enough to get one of those contracts but you could be a subcontractor.
    Just watch out for the details of the funding. Like what you need to achieve and with whom.
    Fail to hit targets, fail to have the person find a job within a certain timeframe in that field and the money paid out to you can be clawed back.

Some subcontractors will be training organisations, some charities, some community groups, some businesses - so may well be a niche to fill if you have the right skills and the right documentation.

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  7. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

27,285 3,347
    That is a fetish. Catering to the people with that fetish will improve things for them.
    Plenty of other fetishes to cater for.

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  8. Planofaction

8 0
    I am currently creating a Q&A folder, listing how, where, why, etc. Only recently I thought of making it a charity, as a means to be more effective and more desirable to contributors, the main issue I see me facing is maintaining control over the project whilst making an income.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Posted: Feb 23, 2021 By: Planofaction Member since: Feb 22, 2021
  9. Planofaction

8 0

I work in t.v and film, have done throughout most of this c19 madness. I don't know why you want to make this about local fat girls etc, I'm here for some general guidance and experience not sexual fantasy. I likely won't be going the same way as these 150 quick fix courses. And yes I am very keen on drawing and income from this idea, should I make it a charity or not... I have to eat and if feeding my life helps me feed others, then I don't see an issue, if people find issue with this then that's more than likely a reflection of how they envision helping others and helping yourself... as stated above - Stephen covey win/win.

10. The Byre

10,833 4,636
    You asked for direct honest comment and you got some - now you complain!

I gave you five good reasons why the industry does not want this 'service' - not least of which is that it exists already and also that other schemes have been tried a thousand times.

I apologise for being blunt, but you wanted blunt. I get one of these appeals stating "We are being charitable, so give us studio time/money/whatever!" about one-a-month and they are invariably all about self-aggrandisement.

"I want to make a short film to aid some daft charity and my ugly and untalented children will be staring in it! We need studio time!"

Everybody from Johnny Rock Star to some street busker is doing charity gigs featuring themselves. I know a Johnny Rock Star and he has released about 30 albums, 12 reached number one, written five books and without telling the press, supports several local charities in Africa single-handed using his own money. He does this quietly and out of the limelight. When he calls, people come a-running to help because they know that every penny raised goes to helping sick kids and rehabilitating boy-soldiers in Uganda and elsewhere.

The TV and film industry is a thriving and prosperous growth industry - it and those working in it hardly need your or anybody else's charity!

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  11. Planofaction

8 0
    Where did I mention requiring studio time? Where did I mention about making a short film?
    You gave your opinion, which is fine, although you went off topic with your imagination of sexual desires you clearly must hold close to heart to roll of your tongue so easily onto my post.

You made assumptions based on little knowledge of what I aim to do, how I will be going to aid the industry, possibly from experience of others doing as you proposed, although I am not everyone else and my vision is different from many.

Maybe keep to the specifics I asked about, rather than go on some emotional outburst.

I work in the industry, my understanding of this grows daily, I understand the psychology of our minds being 60% operated from a visual context, so yes you can change the world with the t.v and film industry, how else would we be where we are now if it wasn't for the ability to communicate stories so quickly and vastly to the world. Like I mentioned earlier... contagion ... reaction ... covid... reaction.

I would like to think you did not take offense at my opinion, as I did not take offense at yours. Merely stating an opinion back.

12. STDFR33

STDFR33 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,621 1,235
    Why not just a limited company with charitable / community driven aims and objectives?

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 By: STDFR33 Member since: Aug 7, 2016
  13. Planofaction

8 0
    That was my initial thoughts, when I looked at how I would fund it the operation, the pros to donating and supporting a business for profit, means charitable donations won't be tax deductible for those donating, reducing leverage in negotiations with larger financial bodies in the UK. It would also mean it would be difficult to dedicate the time needed, I could do it, although if there is a more beneficial way to generate funds for the operation, funds for myself, whilst offering a financial benefit to contributors, surely that is a more favourable option ?

14. The Byre

10,833 4,636
    That is exactly correct! That is exactly the assumption I made - I get those "We want to make a short film/video/CD for charity and I shall star in it!" calls all the time. I would love to hear that you are not one of those!

You can do as @STDFR33 suggests and just tilt an ordinary company towards charitable work - Bosch for example uses 92% of all profits for developing their own social and medical projects.

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  15. JustGettingOnWithIt

JustGettingOnWithIt UKBF Contributor Free Member

51 9
    I have read your post a few times and I am not sure what your aim is, so is it possible that you aren't sure either? You could be a mentor, some kind if education facilitator or a film maker. Three different things. Or something else entirely.

I think you have jumped directly from your 'vision' or dreams directly to money without anything in between. You are worrying about a funding stream without a solid idea and plan.

My advice would be to focus on one specific thing that you want to do and try to define exactly what that is, how it would work exactly and how exactly you will do that. Then start with a basic business plan. If you can't find a way to make the numbers work or work out where the income is after that then maybe it isn't something viable.

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 By: JustGettingOnWithIt Member since: Jul 13, 2020
  16. STDFR33

STDFR33 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,621 1,235
    But whatever they pay your company for the fee is tax deductible. It’s the same result.

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 By: STDFR33 Member since: Aug 7, 2016
  17. Planofaction

8 0
    I have a plan, I have many options, although I won't just put it on here for anyone else to copy, so yes I may appear to be unsure. I am already in the process of having a webpage developed, with much of my content showing more in-depth of what I will be doing.

I won't focus on anyone one specific way to help, why limit what I can do by limiting my options. Education, work placements, apprenticeships, networking, finding new talent, negotiating government support in specific areas, there's much I have in-store for the industry atleast in my local areas, then expand outwardly to the whole of the UK. I have to be able to support myself, as I don't see myself generating income for myself in the short term - 2yrs or so.

So I guess I came here for guidance on what options would be best, based on the information I have given, relating to funding benefits of being a charity vs not being a charity, having complete control over the business direction vs having trustees.

I suppose the thread did get misdirected.

18. Planofaction

8 0
    Thanks for your response,

So if i was a charity and say coca cola donated 100k, they would get the same benefits as if I was not a charity ? In terms of tax deduction/relief ?