Google - Privacy and other issues

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by bdw, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    A lot of stories have surfaced during the last few months about Google and privacy issues. I thought it would be a good idea if we documented some of these here to see exactly where they are heading.

Just today another story broke over in Webmasterworld about their takeover of ITA Software Inc.

ITA Software powers several major travel portals including Expedia, Tripadvisor and Travelocity.

In Webmaster world someone posted this
    Scary stuff and getting scarier every day.

Previous threads ... http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=168971

Posted: Sep 7, 2010 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  2. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    Wow! I think this guy is beginning to lose the plot. He does not seem to be able to understand that people are concerned about his musings.

See http://www.leavegooglebehind.com/

Posted: Sep 8, 2010 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  3. chief07

chief07 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

30 8
    Though i'd just add the Google - Verizon deal to this thread, the story of the deal to end 'net neutrality' and create a premier tier internet lane which delivers content fater to sites that are willing to pay for it.
    Interesting site in the first post as well

Posted: Sep 9, 2010 By: chief07 Member since: Sep 9, 2010
  4. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    Didn't they deny this was to happen?

Posted: Sep 9, 2010 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  5. maxh

maxh UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,112 313
    Google collect personal data about you....so what?

What can they actually do with it?

Target ads at you? "aww nooo, relevent adverts about things i'm interested in nooo"

Supermarkets have been doing that for years. Remember loyalty cards? Tonnes and tonnes of data about where you buy, what you buy and when you buy! What do they do with that?

Target offers at you which benefit you. They improve their services around you.

So what?!

Posted: Sep 9, 2010 By: maxh Member since: Apr 15, 2010
  6. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    Well that's one opinion.

7. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Free Member

12,351 4,329
    Shall I break out the 'tin foil hats'??

:)

Posted: Sep 9, 2010 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  8. gordano

gordano UKBF Regular Free Member

453 100
    Google owning ITA booking software and having access to booking data from companies that use the software such as Expedia are two different things?

I agree that Google is getting more data to help them target their marketing. For me it is not an issue unless they hold personal data that confirms an identity (such as that for travel bookings); should Google ever get such data hacked then there would be a major issue of individuals being exposed to identity fraud.

Posted: Sep 9, 2010 By: gordano Member since: Jan 19, 2010
  9. Dawg

Dawg UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10,900 3,466
    Post #1 says that Google are required by law to collect that info. What is scarier: a bunch of bureaucrats mangling through your data, cocking up like only government bureautwats can, or a private company which will sink if it messes with it's punters?

Still, nothing like a good conspiracy scare, (although this is nothing like a good conspiracy scare.)

Now, while I fasten the yoghurt buckle to my tinfoil tam o'shatner, (Star Trek edition): Did Google kill Princess Di?

Posted: Sep 9, 2010 By: Dawg Member since: Feb 12, 2006
  10. openmind

openmind UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

4,750 864
    Nope shergar did :)

Posted: Sep 9, 2010 By: openmind Member since: Sep 6, 2005
  11. Esk247

Esk247 UKBF Legend Free Member

7,758 1,514
    its only a problem if they SELL the data or have there systems hacked.

the most problematic is the selling of data, even the government seem to be doing this and THAT is when it becomes an issue as you dont know who they've sold the info to!

telecoms companies do that a lot, when you sign up with one you get bombarded with special offers from companies you've never heard of.

Posted: Sep 9, 2010 By: Esk247 Member since: Oct 6, 2008
  12. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    This is not a conspiracy scare. It's not a conspiracy. It's a fact that is very much evident to all but the very innocent.

13. Dawg

10,900 3,466
    I thought you'd come back with drivel like that. The Google executives who are in charge of the company that is meant to be taking over our lives are all acting independently than? It is mere chance that the random decisions they are making are coming together in a fashion which is a threat to our liberties? Gor Blimey.

But I plead guilty to being an innocent. Innocent of taking comfort in sad little 'they're out to get me' fantasies. Innocent of being frightened of change. Innocent of thinking everyone who disagrees is naive, or innocent. (Jeez even Dingbat makes some good points...) And hopefully innocent of being a Loch Dour Monster.

Posted: Sep 9, 2010 By: Dawg Member since: Feb 12, 2006
  14. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    You are not innocent Dawg but you are both offensive and tiresome. Can't you discuss anything without resorting to insults like this?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
    Posted: Sep 10, 2010 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  15. Dawg

10,900 3,466
    And your statements such as "It's a fact that is very much evident to all but the very innocent." are not insulting?
    You basically say, and have done many times, that people who disagree with you are innocent or naive; terms which are as insulting as any I use.
    You just don't like it up you, do you? Anyone who has the temerity to have a pop back in anything but the blandest language has you squealing about being insulted, or being reported to the mods or whinged about.
    Well pot, kettle Mr Worldly Wise-Fnar. And if you write drivel I'll call it drivel. Or should that be when you write...
    Now dribble off and report me to the Big Boys.

Posted: Sep 10, 2010 By: Dawg Member since: Feb 12, 2006
  16. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    No, I'll leave your comments for the world to judge.

Posted: Sep 10, 2010 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  17. Dawg

10,900 3,466
    Ahhh! Big boys kicked you into touch?

Or is it the nasty, nefarious, all watching, evil Google that is conspiring against you, (with the help of the CIA, the FBI and probably some warmed up BLTs).

Posted: Sep 10, 2010 By: Dawg Member since: Feb 12, 2006
  18. directmarketingadvice

directmarketingadvice UKBF Legend Free Member

10,942 3,530
    Lol.

Exactly. Google is doing database marketing in order to make more money from us, by working out what we want and serving it up to us.

If it bothers anyone, just don't use Google or their products.

Steve

Posted: Sep 10, 2010 By: directmarketingadvice Member since: Aug 2, 2005
  19. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    Posted: Sep 14, 2010 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  20. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    Posted: Sep 15, 2010 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.