Ebay - Rules and listing issues

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by paulears, Jun 28, 2019.

1. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,831 952
    I'm not sure I have a total answer to provide here, but in the past few days I've had some listing removed. I thought it odd, because the product in question I have been importing and selling for two years with no issues.

For a long time now, you could not advertise say, a Fender guitar and add in the title, (Gibson, PRS, Rickenbacker) to catch those in a search - and fair enough, but you could include sub brands, where a single product is sold under a number of different 'brands' so an advert for a Pofung radio could have (Baofeng) added to the title because people searching would use either of those two brands. No more. You cannot do this - I did and got a removal, and a 'bad mark'. I resisted, grumpily, with just the one brand - and then got it removed again! This time because I had relisted it in the wrong category. Ham Radio - where practically all my buyers would be looking. Ebay say that it should be in Business Radio - decided by them, to be the correct home because the radio uses the android operating system making it a phone! it is not a phone. I spoke to Ebay and the conversation revealed a few things that could be useful to others. Ebay collate brand names from the boxes in the sales listing and now all listings - titles and the ad as a whole - are scanned for multiple brands. Again, keywords also flag up possible wrong categorisation, and then when reviewed by a non-expert, they remove them. They eventually agreed I could list in the right section and removed the strike, but they will not shift on multiple brand names, confirming that they are bad news, anywhere in the ad. Not ideal, but that's how it is. They are implanting this on every category. Worth knowing about!

Posted: Jun 28, 2019 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  2. alan1302

alan1302 UKBF Regular Free Member

433 88
    Glad they are enforcing the 'brand rule'. Always frustrating for a particular brand and products that aren't the brand turn up. If I want a Gibson guitar I don't want Fender or PRS etc etc turning up in the search results.

Posted: Jun 28, 2019 By: alan1302 Member since: Jun 2, 2018
  3. Calvin Crane

Calvin Crane UKBF Regular Full Member

206 31
    Ebay needs cleaning up big time.

Posted: Jul 4, 2019 By: Calvin Crane Member since: Jun 8, 2018
  4. OhhEnnEmm

OhhEnnEmm UKBF Contributor Free Member

43 3
    Jeez, why do they try to automate literally EVERYTHING? It just causes these stupid unnecessary issues. I'm sure they can afford the staff.

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 By: OhhEnnEmm Member since: Nov 6, 2018
  5. alan1302

433 88
    They do it to maximise profit. Think most businesses would do the same.

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 By: alan1302 Member since: Jun 2, 2018
  6. Calvin Crane

206 31
    It's the notion of selling these items at say 50p profit x 10,000 listings...volume rubbish. As humans we seem to continue to take the quality from all areas of life to save 1c. Idiotic business model unless you are a corporation IMO.

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 By: Calvin Crane Member since: Jun 8, 2018
  7. TheoNe

TheoNe UKBF Regular Full Member

135 12
    You had quite an experience there. Sadly I don't think you are alone - eBay needs a lot of work!

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 By: TheoNe Member since: Jul 6, 2019
  8. alan1302

433 88
    There are things that they could do better but on the whole.pretty good. I'd rather have them as they are as without we would lose a lot if income.

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 By: alan1302 Member since: Jun 2, 2018
  9. Paulo1Chop

Paulo1Chop UKBF Contributor Free Member

53 3
    A few bad eggs always dilute the integrity and professional standing of any platform. Mass consumerism is dictating the trends and that's the fault of all of us!

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 By: Paulo1Chop Member since: Jul 12, 2019
  10. Calvin Crane

206 31
    I think with the mounting fees on amazon and ebay it's getting cheaper to run your own shop and market yourself- depending. You can always keep all options as well while you try. I think you can get a decent e-commerce solution with wordpress and woocomerce that will rank nicely over 8 months. No big expense like the old days.

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 By: Calvin Crane Member since: Jun 8, 2018
  11. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

14,924 1,630
    Yes indeed they can afford the staff. Can you afford them having more staff? As of course the company itself is not going to pay for anything as it has no money of its own.
    So if they charge you extra to sell in order to pay for more staff you would be happy?

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  12. Mr D

14,924 1,630
    Each occasionally increases their fees. You are aware that over time costs tend to go up?
    Wages, fuel, utilities, phones etc tend to go up in price. So would be very surprised if any company you used long term kept its prices from going up.

13. Mr D

14,924 1,630
    What is wrong with 50p profit?

50p x 10,000 listings is £5k profit. There have been times in the past I would have almost killed for that much profit.

Now suppose for that 50p profit the cost in time was 15 seconds. Would that be a good use of time? Context matters too - a £5k profit over 3 years would be bad, a £5k profit a day may be good.

14. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,368 8,923
    The automate everything because they list millions of items. Most people have no issues with listings, I can find the stuff I want easily, most of the time I never even notice the categorisation.

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  15. OhhEnnEmm

OhhEnnEmm UKBF Contributor Free Member

43 3
    Oh yeah lol... Same actually, got weirdly worked up there...

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 12:41 PM By: OhhEnnEmm Member since: Nov 6, 2018