Duplicate content? or not?

Discussion in 'Joomla Support' started by titanium, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanium

titanium UKBF Regular Free Member

242 31
    I recently changed the menu on my J2.5 site and added a further drop down menu before reaching the articles, in an effort to make them easier to find for the user; i.e. by grouping the articles into 2 subgroups. I didn't change their categories as I didn't want the URLs to change. However I now see that in my Webmaster Tools I'm being scolded for duplicate meta and in each case the article appears twice - once with a URL as before and once with the new menu item name prefixed.

Something tells me this is not good!
    However when I ran a test page through a duplicate content checker website it didn't pick up the 2nd article.

What is the best way to remedy this? Should I just use the Joomla redirect function? If so, this seems incredibly clunky. Is there no way to change the menu structure without changing the URLs at the same time?

Posted: Jun 2, 2014 By: titanium Member since: Mar 30, 2013
  2. Nochexman

Nochexman UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,894 288
    I'm certainly no expert, but look up "canonical links". I'm sure a real technical expert will be along in no time!

Posted: Jun 3, 2014 By: Nochexman Member since: Jun 14, 2011
  3. iDigLocal

iDigLocal UKBF Regular Full Member

111 19
    Yes you need to set the canonical link for the url you wish to use for the website

Posted: Jul 30, 2018 By: iDigLocal Member since: May 9, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.