Advice needed having Shopify/ Stripe payment issues

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by ripski70, Mar 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ripski70

ripski70 UKBF Contributor Free Member

46 3
    Hi all, I'm hoping someone can give me some much needed advice.
    We have been running our Shopify online store for about 10 months using paypal and stripe payments with no problems at all.
    Yesterday an email from stripe payments informs us that as we sell pseudo pharmaceuticals they cannot support our payment gateway anymore!!! we sell 100% natural skincare but have the word brightening on one of our products that apparently we are making an unsupported medical claim. They won't let businesses sell teeth whitening, vitamins, etc.
    Seriously, so we have contacted Shopify there reply 'contact Stripe' Stripe 'contact Shopify'
    So my question is has anybody else had similar problems ? also which payment gateways do people recommend, We're looking at authorize.net, sagepay or worldpay.

Posted: Mar 28, 2017 By: ripski70 Member since: Jan 9, 2009
  2. JamieM

JamieM UKBF Ace Free Member

2,322 350
    When you say Stripe, do you have an account with Stripe directly or is it Shopify Payments powered by Stripe?

Posted: Mar 29, 2017 By: JamieM Member since: Mar 22, 2006
  3. ripski70

46 3
    Shopify payments powered by Stripe.

Posted: Mar 29, 2017 By: ripski70 Member since: Jan 9, 2009
  4. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

8,100 1,702
    The problem is that (last time I looked, I don't know if it has changed) the only gateway that supports 3DS is Sagepay Form but it is not properly integrated with Shopify in the same way that Paypal is so you have to do refunds etc. offsite. It works fine though and most of my customers use it rather than Paypal.

Posted: Mar 29, 2017 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  5. ripski70

46 3
    Thank you but sorry what do you mean by 3DS ? we also use paypal which works fine.

Posted: Mar 29, 2017 By: ripski70 Member since: Jan 9, 2009
  6. TotalWebSolutions

TotalWebSolutions UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,624 617
    3DS = 3D Secure (Verified by Visa, MasterCard SecureCode and if you have it AMEX SafeKey). We too have a Shopify integration similar to that of SagePay. The problem is Shopify will charge a merchant transaction fees (%) for using a 3rd party gateway even though they aren't processing the transactions!

Posted: Mar 29, 2017 By: TotalWebSolutions Member since: Sep 29, 2009
  7. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,739 641
    Just reply saying "Alright, we'll use PayPal then" and switch off Stripe.

Posted: Mar 29, 2017 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  8. Nochexman

Nochexman UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,916 292
    Probably worth taking on board that Shopify don't actually support "pseudo pharmaceuticals" either
    https://www.shopify.ca/legal/terms-payments-us - item 44 on their prohibited businesses list.

Posted: Mar 29, 2017 By: Nochexman Member since: Jun 14, 2011
  9. JamieM

JamieM UKBF Ace Free Member

2,322 350
    I doubt 3D Secure is a problem as he won't have been using it anyway.

This is the main problem. If you use Paypal only for example you're going to have an additional 2% transaction fee which is an unjustifiable charge in my opinion.

Is dropping the problem product a possibility?

Posted: Mar 29, 2017 By: JamieM Member since: Mar 22, 2006
  10. Steve T

Steve T UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    Hi
    We may consider this and can provide a free merchant account which integrates with a Sage Gateway or own own gateway at £19.95. I would need to look at your website, the products and what (if any) claims you may be making i.e. Guaranteed weight loss, miracle cres etc. PM me with your details and I'll look into it for you - merchant rates under 1% for debit cards also
    Steve T Worldpay

Posted: Apr 1, 2017 By: Steve T Member since: Apr 1, 2017
  11. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

8,100 1,702
    It's not compulsory to use Elavon; you can use any merchant account you like.

Posted: Apr 1, 2017 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  12. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

877 184
    That's why you should have your own website , eCommerce solution. I bet with you Shopify can simply shut you down by tomorrow, don't need a reason for it. If you selling products in a heavily unregulated sector you can expect such a response from them. They provide a service and allow you to use it with their terms. There are always high risk items payment providers won't seal with it and simply block it with no exception to be consistent with all customers.

Posted: May 3, 2017 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  13. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,805 10,026
    Even if they had their own website, it still wouldn't fix the stripe problem.

Posted: May 3, 2017 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  14. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

877 184
    I don't like stripe, to easy to setup and that's why people use them. They give you an account let you take payments and later they check up on you. It took me several days with WorldPay and months with Sage Pay to get my accoun. They asked the right question wanted proof, certificates, assurance that my products are good. Stripe you sign up and get an account right away. You chose convenience and now they have questions.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    Posted: May 3, 2017 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  15. Cind

Cind UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    This has happened to me recently for one product (a face mist) and is incredibly frustrating. I'm considering PayPal as a gateway since there's a free option but can't tell if they allow for pseudo pharmaceuticals. Does anyone know?
    I offered to take off the product but Shopify said they still can't allow me to continue with their gateway. I'm indignant now on keeping the product because something might as well come out of this pointless exercise.

Posted: May 7, 2017 By: Cind Member since: May 7, 2017
  16. ECS

ECS UKBF Contributor Free Member

31 2
    Hello

Found this thread in a search as the same thing has just happened to us.

Anybody have any recommendations for an online payment processor ?

Stripe / Shopify have cut us off too with 36hrs notice over a weekend so everything has ground to a halt.

Our products are mainstream and make no wild claims. Nothing 'dodgy' about them at all.

Posted: Jun 26, 2017 By: ECS Member since: Jun 16, 2014
  17. ECS

31 2
    We're quite new and low value goods so current turnover p/m is less than 5K.

Am planning to double / treble this though fairly fast with marketing and new product lines

Ave transaction value is £35

We sell optical accessories. Not prescription anything. Just over the counter things like contact lens solutions etc

18. TotalWebSolutions

TotalWebSolutions UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,624 617
    Have you had any chargebacks or large volume of declines recently? Have they advised why they have cut you off?

Posted: Jun 26, 2017 By: TotalWebSolutions Member since: Sep 29, 2009
  19. ECS

31 2
    No, no chargebacks at all or nothing high vol (sadly !). Incidentally we use an additional company who further profile and guarantee us against chargebacks

Their reason is the same reason that they have given for cutting off a ton of merchants ... there's a lot of threads in the Shopify forums discussing this ( can't link here as haven't made enough posts), with talk of a Class Action Lawsuit.

Lots of disgruntled Shopify merchants.

Stripe do not approve of anything they consider 'risky' or making claims....so any cosmetics containing retinol, glycoloic / fruit acids, skin brighteners, vitamins etc. Even those selling wholly organic health & Beauty products have been affected.

In our case this happens to be some Fish Oil capsules ... these capsules are readily purchasable on the High St.

It's the more they way they have done it, rather than actual doing it. Next to no notice and not enough time to get an alternative in place.

20. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,739 641
    Ah but you said it was optical accessories earlier. So you are selling supplements online which is considered dodgy. What claims have you got on the page? Improves eye health?

Posted: Jun 26, 2017 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.