Which Accounts Software to replace old Sage Line 100 software?

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by NealB, Feb 22, 2021 at 5:29 PM.

1. NealB

NealB UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 0
    We need to replace our extremely old DOS based (yes really!) accounts software Sage Line 100 as the Purchase Ledger module crashed on me this morning and I can't rectify it (it's not supported anymore as it's so old). We were using the Sales Ledger, Purchase Ledger, Cash Book and Nominal Ledger modules.

So I have to find replacement accounts software that will allow:

i. Allow Importing of sales invoices (we use a different software package for all order processing. It produces a file containing information that was imported into Sage Line 100. This 3rd party software can be easily modified to generate a different format file to be imported into the new software). Ideally I would prefer the new accounts software to allow importing as a standard feature rather than have to employ a software developer, but will have to if thats the only option.

ii. Allow foreign currencies on Sales invoices and Purchase invoices.

iii. Allow 2 companies to be set up and run.

Does anyone know if Xero, Clear Books, Free Agent or Sage provide all these requirements ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 5:29 PM By: NealB Member since: Feb 22, 2021
  2. UK Contractor Accountant

UK Contractor Accountant UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

5,231 941
    Why don't you take a look at Sage 50c as you are familiar with the operation of Sage software products.

Sage 50c covers all your requirements apart from not being true cloud based.

https://www.sage.com/en-gb/shop/sage50c/

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 7:09 PM By: UK Contractor Accountant Member since: Sep 18, 2013
  3. johndon68

johndon68 UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

3,463 637
    DOS Sage Line 100 is as about as far away from Sage 50 in terms of operation as you are likely to get. Moving to it would be no easier for the OP than moving to any of the other products they mention...

John

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 7:44 PM By: johndon68 Member since: Nov 2, 2009
  4. johndon68

3,463 637
    Picking up on this one in particular, whilst Sage 50 does allow for foreign currency invoices, you can only pay those invoices from a bank account that has the same currency. Whilst I was very familiar with it at one time, it has been a VERY long time since I used Sage 100 but I recall that you could pay a US Dollar Invoice from a Sterling bank account - Sage 50 cannot do this.

John

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 7:46 PM By: johndon68 Member since: Nov 2, 2009
  5. UK Contractor Accountant

5,231 941
    I am sure you can export files from 100 into Excel and then save file as CSV file. Then can import standing data into 50.

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 8:08 AM By: UK Contractor Accountant Member since: Sep 18, 2013
  6. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

12,080 2,520
    Whilst sage does not support line 100 I would imagine there are plenty of sage local distributors who could assist and also make the transfer to say 50 as part of there sale to you

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 9:28 AM By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  7. MyAccountantOnline

MyAccountantOnline UKBF Legend Full Member

13,388 2,511
    I'm an accountant and use and recommend FreeAgent.

To answer your questions -

i. Yes but only if you use a 3rd party integration such as AutoEntry or Fabio. If you are changing accounts software now I'd spend some time looking at invoicing with whatever system you use to save running two systems.

ii. Yes

iii Yes if you have two licences - bear in mind you get FreeAgent free if you bank with Natwest, RBS or Mettle

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 10:01 AM By: MyAccountantOnline Member since: Sep 24, 2008
  8. NealB

5 0
    Thank you all for your replies.

I could probably forgo the foreign currency requirement as we only have a handful of transactions each year. I guess I could just convert and post as sterling as our bank account are sterling.

The main requirement is being able to import sales invoice data as the 3rd party order processing and invoicing software we use is too ingrained into our business to stop using.

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 12:27 PM By: NealB Member since: Feb 22, 2021
  9. SERC1204

SERC1204 UKBF Regular Free Member

140 9
    I've used Sage 50 with imports for sales (and purchase) invoices from another system on several occasions - either with a direct link between the two or by using an imported file such as CSV.

Where there was a direct link it worked quite smoothly, this depends of course on capability of the other system. The problem with importing using an extracted file was that if an invoice had multiple lines (e.g. for separate nominal coding) each line was created as a separate invoice - one invoice with five lines becomes five completely separate invoices! Apparently there was a way around this, but involved using a third party software - Sage 50 can't keep up with the times. Also, keep in mind the overall functionality of Sage 50 is more basic than Sage 100 and is quite frankly the same software it was 20 years ago!

I know Xero can deal with imports (either directly or via a file import) but haven't used it with such.

Are you looking to buy directly or through a reseller? A reseller can work with you to spec out what you need and how it can integrate with your existing system.

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 1:13 PM By: SERC1204 Member since: Apr 19, 2017
  10. johndon68

3,463 637
    With regards to importing invoices, the invoicing module in Sage 50 (where you produce invoices to send to clients) does not support file import and would require a third party add on to do so.

The import facility in Sage only allows the importing of invoices directly to the ledgers so you get the financial information but not an actual printable/email invoice.

John

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 1:51 PM By: johndon68 Member since: Nov 2, 2009
  11. NealB

5 0
    Thanks SERC1204. I only need to import basic sales invoice data, e.g. Date, Invoice No, Net, VAT, Total, Settlement Discount. I don't need to import any lines of the invoice so hopefully the issue you describe won't be a problem for me.

I've just found a Sage50 add-on called 'Adept Sage 50 Sales Invoice CSV' which seems like it will do the job.

I haven't really considered if I will use a reseller or buy direct. I know a reseller who used to provide us with support on our Line 100 package many years ago, so may give them a call and see what advice/service they can provide.

I have searched for Xero and importing but haven't found anything yet. Will keep googling....

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 1:52 PM By: NealB Member since: Feb 22, 2021
  12. NealB

5 0
    Thanks John. Our 3rd party software is used to produce and send the invoices. So importing to Sage just for ledgers is all that is required. :)

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 1:53 PM By: NealB Member since: Feb 22, 2021
  13. SERC1204

SERC1204 UKBF Regular Free Member

140 9
    Xero is capable of importing, I believe CSV is the method.

In my experience with IT, using a reseller/vendor/support partner can really make a difference between having a system that "does the job" vs. a systems that does the job you really need it to do in a way you need to do it.

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 2:35 PM By: SERC1204 Member since: Apr 19, 2017
  14. MyAccountantOnline

MyAccountantOnline UKBF Legend Full Member

13,388 2,511
    @Spur Support Services uses Xero and may be able to help

Posted: Feb 24, 2021 at 10:00 AM By: MyAccountantOnline Member since: Sep 24, 2008
  15. UK Contractor Accountant

5,231 941
  16. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Legend Full Member

10,827 4,632
    Most of these new £5-a-month online programmes are crippleware - they can't do various things such as stock control, foreign currencies, PAYE, each is crippled in a different way! You have to get the full version which usually costs about £25 a month.

GnuCash is free and its only drawback is that it is single-input only, so not useable for a multi-checkout shop. https://www.gnucash.org/features.phtml

Posted: Feb 24, 2021 at 10:30 AM By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  17. NealB

5 0
    Thanks 'UK Contractor Accountant' for the xero link. Not sure it will allow me to import the invoice data I need.

Posted: Feb 24, 2021 at 12:47 PM By: NealB Member since: Feb 22, 2021