Warning: Facebook Advertising

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by columbo, Jun 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. columbo

columbo UKBF Regular Free Member

332 72
    My credit card was debited £500 for Facebook Advertising for an ad which I did not even know was running.

Last check all ads were set to "inactive"

However, one well hidden option meant that one ad was still running.

I have no doubt Facebook have designed their dashboard to confuse. Sneaky, sneaky company.

Posted: Jun 6, 2017 By: columbo Member since: Jan 27, 2013
  2. ChrisRM

ChrisRM UKBF Contributor Free Member

93 25
    Care to share the 'hidden option' Columbo?

Personally, the couple of campaigns I have running tend to show up in the right hand bar when I'm browsing FB news feed on a desktop. And I get notifications of interactions, etc, with the post/ad.

I've found it quite transparent / easy to keep up with.

Posted: Jun 6, 2017 By: ChrisRM Member since: Oct 28, 2016
  3. MichelleCollins99

MichelleCollins99 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    I'd be interested to see the hidden option too. I find the dashboard not particularly intuitive, especially when running multiple Facebook ads through Business Manager for several different companies.

Need to keep on your toes!

Posted: Jun 7, 2017 By: MichelleCollins99 Member since: Jun 7, 2017
  4. Paul Norman

Paul Norman UKBF Ace Free Member

2,551 772
    This post would be of added use, if it actually gave us the information on where the option is.

Posted: Jun 7, 2017 By: Paul Norman Member since: Apr 8, 2010
  5. Maryrose Lyons

Maryrose Lyons UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 7
    HI, that must have been a bit of a painful shocker! What you can do if you care to go back to Facebook is set a credit limit - you can do this via the Facebook Business manager, Billings & Payment methods, just beside where you input your card details.

Posted: Jun 7, 2017 By: Maryrose Lyons Member since: May 31, 2017
  6. White Tiger Advertising

White Tiger Advertising UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Hi,
    No offence but it sounds more like you are not familiar with the platform. There is detailed information on Facebook about everything on the platform. Nothing is hidden. Like Maryrose said you can put a limit on your ad spend to whatever you want. So if they want to be sneaky why would they have this feature?
    Like every job in life you need to know your tools, the more you know them the better you can do your job.
    My advice would be to put a limit on your ad spend and LEARN the platform. It is the most powerful platform out there bar none, if used correctly.

Posted: Jun 12, 2017 By: White Tiger Advertising Member since: Jun 2, 2017
  7. Certa-Hosting

Certa-Hosting UKBF Contributor Full Member

41 2
    Facebook does clearly state to make it easy for every business and agency to purchase adverts, they have two buying options.

Reach and frequency
    When you want your advertising campaign to reach more than 200,000 people, reach and frequency buying gives you predictable, controlled advert delivery at a locked price.

Target Rating Points (TRP)
    If you're used to purchasing TV adverts through Target Rating Points, you may be interested in purchasing video adverts for Facebook, Instagram or Audience Network in the same way.

Posted: Jun 13, 2017 By: Certa-Hosting Member since: Mar 6, 2017
  8. columbo

columbo UKBF Regular Free Member

332 72
    Thanks everyone for the reply.

The hidden option was:

On my account there was two drop-down menus with accounts:

John Smith advertising account
    898540398543 account

I had checked the first one - all ads set to inactive. Happy days I thought.

However, the generic account name had an ad which was still active.

I strongly advise everyone to follow the advice of Maryrose. Do NOT GET CAUGHT out by
    Facebook and their

Check your Facebook Advertising account now for this setting because it could end up saving you a lot of money.

Posted: Jun 23, 2017 By: columbo Member since: Jan 27, 2013
  9. Xtm_Mike

Xtm_Mike UKBF Regular Free Member

441 101
    You're not being clear. We will need step by step instructions to help find the hidden setting.

I've always thought Facebook was clear, you can set a budget and an end date.

Posted: Jun 23, 2017 By: Xtm_Mike Member since: Dec 10, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.