Shipping from China, FOB, UK Forwarder Query

Discussion in 'International Business' started by I Like Chocolate, Mar 12, 2021.

1. I Like Chocolate

I Like Chocolate UKBF Newcomer Free Member

11 2
    Hello,

My first post and first shipping experience via sea - so please be gentle with me if I sound stupid.

I'm looking for some general guidance in advance of me getting to the point of my goods being in transit from China. A recommendation of a fair and reliable forwarder may be useful so i can get a quote.... which is what I am just starting to do.

I wondered if any of you more experienced people could give me some rough idea of what you would expect the following to cost:

I do not have the final info but I have the following approximates:
    Box size 68x38x38cm x 37 boxes @ 13kg each = (3.5779 m3 I think / 481kg)
    Will go onto ship around early / mid-April
    FOB price given. Shanghai to Felixstowe
    My delivery address is Manchester
    Approx value may be £11,000-ish

I am looking for a price from Felixstowe to Manchester including clearances with a company that is pretty good at being helpful especially for a first timer.

Does anyone ever collect their own stuff from Felixstowe - I assume this is more trouble than it's worth, but I suppose that depends on costs involved?

I have an EORI number and I have yet to work out all the other things I'll need.

I also know about the duties and vat to pay - is there typically anything else I need to be aware of?

Thank you in advance and I hope this does make sense -as I say, I am a newbie so please excuse anything that sounds a bit odd... hopefully, I will get there.

Posted: Mar 12, 2021 By: I Like Chocolate Member since: Mar 12, 2021
  2. Mike Foulds

Mike Foulds UKBF Regular Free Member

121 42
    Hi.

I am happy to help, BUT, just for fair warning, I work for a freight forwarder based in Sunbury on Thames. We do handle alot of imports from China, both sea and air.

OK, now that's out the way, some general advice.

Firstly, although yes, technically you can collect out of Felixstowe, it is generally not done, as dependant on the warehouse, they sometimes won't allow private invidiuals without additional ID and documents.

At the moment, I will warn you that shipping costs are sky high, freight is around 10 x higher than you would normally pay.

I would suggest that, to get the duty rate, you need to ask your shipper for the HS, or commodity code (This will likely be an 8 digit number), this can then be checked using: https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/sections

The freight for around 4m3 of cargo, from Shanghai, through to Manchester, would likely be around GBP 1300.00, as a very quick ballpark figure (Done from the top of my head, NOT a quote).

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2021
    Posted: Mar 12, 2021 By: Mike Foulds Member since: Mar 21, 2018
  3. I Like Chocolate

11 2
    Hi Mike,

Thank you - yes that is helpful.

I have a FOB price from my supplier of around $330 FOB Shanghai to Felixstowe...

So I'm basically looking for the services from Felixstowe to Manchester. The numbers above are not exact but will be close.

Commodity code is probably (not 100% yet) 4503 / 4505 etc (slippers)

I agree - using a forwarder from the port right from the beginning (as they know everything) will be the way to go. :)

4. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,374 900
    Never mind the actual subject of the thread, I just wanted to say @I Like Chocolate - awesome username!

Posted: Mar 12, 2021 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  5. Mike Foulds

Mike Foulds UKBF Regular Free Member

121 42
    HI. I think you need to double check the commodity code you have, 4503 covers "Cork items", but specifically mentions that it does NOT cover footwear. 4505 doesn't exist.

If the cargo is slippers, I would suggest they should be covered by chapter 64, but you will have to check exactly where, based on their material and construction.

Once you know the commodity code, you can confirm the duty rate applicable, and we can then do an approx calculation of the duty you will pay, based on the freight amount I have approximated (I can break this into freight, and UK charges), and use this months HMRC Rate of Exchange to calculate a rough amount of duty payable.

I will wait to hear from you when you have this.

Posted: Mar 12, 2021 By: Mike Foulds Member since: Mar 21, 2018
  6. Mister B

Mister B UKBF Ace Free Member

2,485 580
    I think that you need to check this quotation with your supplier and also the inco terms that you're buying on.

You state that the price is FOB, but that would normally indicate that the suppliers responsibility stops as soon as the goods are loaded onto the vessel. If this is the case, then you will be facing a hefty carriage charge as well as clearance and port charges in the UK.

Posted: Mar 12, 2021 By: Mister B Member since: Aug 31, 2007
  7. I Like Chocolate

11 2
    Hi Mister B - yes... it is probably my terminology... I'm a complete noob with this.

The initial quote was / is FOB but the supplier is trying to get me some freight prices.

The general quote I'm getting is as follows (at the moment - which could change of course by the date they are shipped):

Here is part of the chat:-

"... Sea freight: Only sea freight to Felix port: $ 390
    In this option, you need to do the customs clearance, pay for the customs clearance, destination fees, tax, Vat, and pick up goods at Felix port.

Sea shipment to Felix port+ deliver to your address by door. The fees is about $1700 more or less.
    In this option, you need to pay for tax, vat and wait goods at home/ office, may have warehouse fees and checking fees if the goods are checked. ..."

Hi Mike - thanks again... they are sheepskin slippers and I will find the right code later... I just did a quick check on code, sorry... wasn't intending to confuse.

Hi Japancool - thank you... I like your name too :)

8. I Like Chocolate

11 2
    May I just add a quick Thank you to all, for the info so far. As a newbie all of the info is interesting to me. I'm totally new here and to this and will hopefully be able to help others in the future but for now, I'm a bit needy and I appreciate your patience x