Royal Mail : no more professional since privatisation ? ! ?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Justin Smith, Oct 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justin Smith

Justin Smith UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

575 59
    I had wondered if the RM getting privatised might make it more professional but, sadly, that hasn`t proved to be the case. It`s still really difficult to get in touch with them, particularly by phone. You still can`t phone any of the Local Delivery Offices (and even if you do get the number they rarely answer) and their central phone answering system hasn`t got any better either. But what`s really inexcusable is they`re still not bothered about generating any more business, not if it means they`ve got to do any work to get it ! To cut a long story short we wanted a business manager to get back to us, in fact preferably visit us, to see if we could send more stuff by RM (rather than by carrier) since we already have a RM collection every day. I sent an E Mail (actually a Contact Us form) and did actually get a reply within 1 working day, however they`d obviously not read my E Mail and answered a question I`d not even posed ! So I replied but never heard anything, so I replied again requesting a delivery receipt and read receipt. I got the former but not the latter and have not heard anything for over a week, I`m not holding my breath if we`ll ever get a reply now.

Sod it, we`ll continue sending the stuff TNT.

Has anyone else noticed an improvement (or deterioration), in the RM`s attitude and/or service since privatisation ?

Posted: Oct 4, 2017 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  2. owas

owas UKBF Ace Free Member

1,404 255
    I dont know if they have improved or the opposite since the privatisation, but generally I feel they are really putting a lot of effort in for business customers, more than they would need to. With the online postage system, collections and rates, they are certainly geard up for online/parcels deliveries and taking on the couriers, rather than relying on the old letters. I was told recently by the postie that if they dont scan Amazon parcels on delivery or deliver them on time RM pay Aamzon £23 for each parcel. Which feel is RM slightly sucking up to Amazon. Of course in your case there has been a big breakdown in customer care and I would follow up, as unless they dont know about the issues how can they fix them.

Posted: Oct 4, 2017 By: owas Member since: Jan 3, 2010
  3. Justin Smith

575 59
    I`m amazed RM should be sucking up to Amazon because RM`s price for the delivery of a small item is way below what any carrier could do it for anyway, certainly any I`ve come across.

As for the point it`s an aberration that RM haven`t got back to me I`m not sure it is. Basically, along with many companies these days, they can`t be arsed to give people a personalised service, they want them to just use the website because it`s cheaper for them. I`m told if a customer has a RM business manager they get reasonable service from them., but if you haven`t got one it would seem they`re not interested, and that`s despite the fact we pay them £787 + VAT a year for a daily collection service !

4. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

8,104 1,702
    Have you tried ringing the general number for business customers? It keeps changing but I think it is currently 08452661240? They answer straight away and seem helpful.

Posted: Oct 4, 2017 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  5. Justin Smith

575 59
    Thanks for that, that`s interesting, that business number isn`t the same as the one I have which is 08457 950 950.

Incidentally, you`ve committed the cardinal sin ! Never put any number (longer than about 5 digits) in one long number ! Loads of people, including myself, have problems trying to decipher it and ring the correct number !

6. Justin Smith

575 59
    I just phoned that number (08452 661 240 ! ) and you`re right, I got through to someone pretty quickly, it`s apparently, a number for those with business accounts. Anyway they seemed far more professional, they said Sales would get back to me in a few days.

7. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

16,608 1,847
    Justin - may be worth sticking with TNT rest of the year. The Royal Mail Union is talking strike action and from what little I have seen are in no mood to compromise on what is affordable.

Posted: Oct 4, 2017 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  8. Justin Smith

575 59
    We`ve no option but to use TNT for most of our orders, they`re too big to go RM. However, particularly if being delivered to a residential address they`re much more expensive than RM, so, I have to say, the possibility of strike action wouldn`t be a deal breaker for an item small enough to go RM !

9. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

16,608 1,847
    Yes our stuff is usually cheaper RM too. However if it comes down to sending or not sending for a few days I prefer to trade - simply get buyers to pay for delivery. Same as usual.

Posted: Oct 4, 2017 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  10. Justin Smith

575 59
    Well perhaps I spoke too soon, what did they say ? They will get back to me "in a few days", that was nearly two weeks ago ! I won`t hold my breath for them getting back to me at all.

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  11. pelparc

pelparc UKBF Regular Free Member

265 34
    Haven't noticed any change with RM at all. Useless customer service. But i find all delivery companies are useless. They are as far as i am concerned by far the best at delivering what you send.

I wouldn't believe the the £23 stuff from a postie there staff are full of Chinese whispers, one of ours was told that the new scan units recorded all audio and it also videoed via their van, which he thought was amazing as he has been looking for 2 months and still cant find the cameras.

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 By: pelparc Member since: Apr 10, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.