Mastercard Securecode down

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by J-Wholesale, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J-Wholesale

J-Wholesale UKBF Newcomer Free Member

768 213
    Posted: Dec 8, 2010 By: J-Wholesale Member since: Jul 13, 2008
  2. leemason

leemason UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,602 527
    Great! Not for you obviously...

It's the only way to hold companies like this to account.

Posted: Dec 8, 2010 By: leemason Member since: Dec 11, 2006
  3. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

8,100 1,702
    I saw a message to this effect on our Gateway's website first thing this morning so guess it has been the whole day.

We don't use it luckily.

This is what it says:

Wed 8th Dec 2010 - MasterCard SecureCode unavailable
    Merchants who use MasterCard SecureCode (3D Secure) will currently be experiencing issues with this service. This is due to a directory server issue at MasterCard. We will advise as soon as an update has been received from MasterCard. Please note that transactions will still be processed, and that VISA transactions will be wholly unaffected.

Posted: Dec 8, 2010 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  4. leemason

3,602 527
  5. Esk247

Esk247 UKBF Legend Free Member

7,758 1,514
    They were hit by hackers. It's all being linked to WikiLeaks and such.

Personally it shows me that the internet is still not the best place to store your credit card information, if they can bring down MasterCard then they can bring down virtually any other financial website.

Posted: Dec 8, 2010 By: Esk247 Member since: Oct 6, 2008
  6. leemason

3,602 527
    They are not a almost certainly could not access credit card data.

As I understand it this is a Distributed Denial of Service attack. Basically overloading their server farm with traffic from a very large number of sources to bring down the system.

7. Mustaka

Mustaka UKBF Newcomer Free Member

332 161
    I think the interesting thing here is the precedence these attacks set. It used to be that if you had an issue with someone you went to a rally, rolled a few vans, kicked in some windows and smacked a few riot cops. If a small group of protestors can take down a global payment brand imagine what a large scale protest could do.

Instead of pretesting at city hall we are going to see prtesting by DDOS I think.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
    Posted: Dec 8, 2010 By: Mustaka Member since: Feb 3, 2009
  8. dalpay_thorsten

dalpay_thorsten UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 2
    From MasterCard finally acknowledging the current ongoing issue:
    I feel very sorry for many merchants who are for the time being unable to accept Maestro online.

Posted: Dec 8, 2010 By: dalpay_thorsten Member since: Jan 16, 2008
  9. grahamsnowdon

grahamsnowdon UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hello, please forgive my dropping in here like this. I'm a journalist at the Guardian looking to speak to one or two online businesses who lost orders as a result of the Mastercard outage yesterday. It would just take 10 minutes on the phone, but I need to speak to you this morning (Thursday). If so, please PM me or call me on 020 3353 4760. Thanks, Graham Snowdon.

Posted: Dec 9, 2010 By: grahamsnowdon Member since: Dec 9, 2010
  10. leemason

3,602 527
    Graham,

I wasn't affected myself but I have been following your Guardian coverage of this and the whole WikiLeaks saga in twitter and just wanted to say how good I think your coverage is!

Lee

Posted: Dec 9, 2010 By: leemason Member since: Dec 11, 2006
  11. leemason

3,602 527
    www.mastercard.com still seems to be unresponsive. I'd hate to be one of their techies right now!

Posted: Dec 9, 2010 By: leemason Member since: Dec 11, 2006
  12. grahamsnowdon

grahamsnowdon UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Thanks Lee! Although I can't really take any of the credit myself unfortunately...

Or if you've been affected by Visa or PayPal problems, I should have added on my original post.

Posted: Dec 9, 2010 By: grahamsnowdon Member since: Dec 9, 2010
  13. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

8,100 1,702
    The problem is not knowing whether or not there has been a problem caused by the hackers.

I have had very few orders since yesterday lunchtime - most unusual - but don't know if it is the hacking to blame or the delivery delays because of snow.......

Posted: Dec 9, 2010 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  14. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

12,084 2,520
    Did not expect to find a Guardian reader here on a business forum, whats the world coming to, be having the Sun readers next

Posted: Dec 9, 2010 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  15. kulture

kulture UKBF Legend Staff Member

8,192 2,278
    The problem with this attack is that it damages the retailer more than mastercard. This is our busiest time of year and anything that takes shoppers off our web sites damages us. A retailer depends on christmas sales. Many retailers do 50%+ of their annual turnover in this last quarter of the year. Snow and now this will damage sales. Our orders are down 50% from the level of Monday and Tuesday, and we would normally expect the numbers to keep going up.

I can understand the reason behind the attacks BUT they are really hurting the wrong people. It is not just the huge retailers who depend on mastercard and paypal, but EVERY SMALL INDEPENDENT web site. The effects on the smaller retailer are probably more than the larger ones.

Posted: Dec 9, 2010 By: kulture Member since: Aug 11, 2007
  16. quikshop

quikshop UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,704 718
    Its just the little guy sticking it to THE MAN... problem with that of course is that THE MAN facilitates our way of life, so any attack on him is an indirect attack on all of us.

Posted: Dec 9, 2010 By: quikshop Member since: Oct 11, 2006
  17. alphanumeric

alphanumeric UKBF Newcomer Free Member

482 91
    if you have the option have your tryed turning off the 3d secure?

ive not checked with customers but that should in theory stop the failed error being reported back. And get you up and running till this all stops.

TBH i dont see any fast resolution to the issue, i wont go into any details why but what they are doing is so simple that it will only get worse.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
    Posted: Dec 9, 2010 By: alphanumeric Member since: Jan 26, 2009
  18. emmylou74

emmylou74 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

476 175
    My orders are well down since yesterday - and had some by cheques was wondering why I was getting cheque orders through have not had them in ages! Very annoying.

Posted: Dec 9, 2010 By: emmylou74 Member since: Oct 21, 2009
  19. leemason

3,602 527
    This just exposes our massive over reliance on a single financial institution. Should this allow that institution to act with total impunity? Should it be above the law or any moral principle. And doesn't this expose the total inequity in these institutions that an attack on them hurts all of the small retailers who rely on it more that it damages that institution itself. In any reasonable society Mastercard would be held responsible for it's lack of service and have to pay the price.

Posted: Dec 10, 2010 By: leemason Member since: Dec 11, 2006
  20. dalpay_thorsten

dalpay_thorsten UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 2
    For an international view of the fallout for online merchants, please see posts at this board:
    webmasterworld.com/ecommerce/4240212.htm

Posted: Dec 10, 2010 By: dalpay_thorsten Member since: Jan 16, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.