General Business Forum Brought to you by Total Gas & Power

How would you like to be approached?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by parkingandsecurity, Oct 10, 2018.

1. parkingandsecurity

parkingandsecurity UKBF Contributor Full Member

74 8
    Morning all,

I'm flipping this on its head a bit. As the name suggests i run a parking and security company. I am looking to grow the security side particularly the keyholding and mobile patrol elements.

Parking is old hat to me and i can sell the services with confidence and conviction. Security on the other hand is a new area of marketing for me.

So how could someone approach you and get your interest?

Thanks all in advance.

Posted: Oct 10, 2018 By: parkingandsecurity Member since: Sep 7, 2018
  2. dotcomdude

dotcomdude UKBF Regular Full Member

142 17
    Do some kind of security assessment of the business from the outside and approach them when you can tell them something they didn't already know (in the security arena)...

Posted: Oct 10, 2018 By: dotcomdude Member since: Jul 27, 2018
  3. parkingandsecurity

74 8
    Thanks for this idea. I did consider it but thought it may be overbearing on people and rub them up the wrong way?

4. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

10,157 1,068
    Yes it does sometimes.

Perhaps not the customers you want.

Free security audits are worth every penny, sometimes what can be seen outside is not the story the company is willing to hear as they also see inside.

Now if you find from local press about break-ins and other security concerns in the area along with crime figures, can put together something realistic to the area and persuade people to pay for a security audit.
    Plenty will not want one or will already have had one done.

Posted: Oct 10, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  5. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

29,300 8,630
    So you trawl social sites looking for threads about theft, vandalism, security and so on and get some adverts published. And it has to be local.

This is t going to be easy, I can see a lot of hard work just making people aware of your services. And then a lot more work getting them to pick up the phone.

Good marketing is iterative. People need to see your ‘security by’ boards, vans, staff in uniform, adverts, website and other online activities. The more you are visible the better the chances of you getting leads.

Posted: Oct 10, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  6. dotcomdude

dotcomdude UKBF Regular Full Member

142 17
    I think there's a right way and a wrong way.

It's similar to my main business (SEO/digital marketing/conversion rate optimisation). If I approach a business and say that they're doing something wrong, they get defensive and don't really want to know.

But if I take a little time to analyse their organic and paid search activity I can usually spot something that either they or their current agency could do much better. Tell them that - for free - and just try to establish credibility. Once you've done that, they'll surely listen to you.

Posted: Oct 10, 2018 By: dotcomdude Member since: Jul 27, 2018
  7. parkingandsecurity

74 8
    I do have some smaller stickers "this property is patrolled 24 hours a day. Security dogs and CCTV in operation" which i was going to distribute for free to people just to get the name out there
    [​IMG]

8. Mr D

10,157 1,068
    Yes they are nice.
    Not much deterrent to those looking to break in.

9. parkingandsecurity

74 8
    The purpose was to imply a regular security presence in the first instance. A house which appears to have security is less likely to be targetted than one that has (or appears to have) nothing.

10. Haunted Worlds

Haunted Worlds UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,510 1,223
    I have a couple of scenario's for you... please bare with me, as these have happened to me before.

1. You hand out the above stickers, free of charge, no obligation to use your services, they get used... someone contacts you 12 months later implying that they're taking you to court because they've had a break in and your sticker clearly states that you are present 24 hours a day.

2. You hand out the above stickers, free of charge, no obligation to use your services, they get used... You're contacted by the police after a serious crime involving the local scumbags asking for your CCTV evidence as they've broken into a property with said sticker.

We were actually told it was false advertising and were in breach of

Regulations that affect advertising
    Advertising to consumers
    The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations mean you cannot mislead or harass consumers by, for example:

• including false or deceptive messages
    • leaving out important information
    • using aggressive sales techniques
    Read ‘The consumer protection from unfair trading regulations’ for the rules on advertising legally.

Advertising to businesses
    Advertising to businesses is covered by the Business Protection from Misleading Marketing Regulations. As well as being accurate and honest, you must not make misleading comparisons with competitors, that includes:

• using a competitor’s logo or trademark, or something very similar
    • comparing your product with a competitor’s product that’s not the same
    Download ‘The Business Protection from Misleading Marketing Regulations 2008’ for more detail about the regulations that cover advertising to businesses.

https://www.gov.uk/marketing-advertising-law/regulations-that-affect-advertising

We were like... WTF! We're offering a free sticker in an attempt to deter would be criminals and then we're being treated like criminals...

Luckily, we spoke to one of our contacts at the Police and they honestly thought we were having a laugh about it... he said that if that's what we're being threatened with then we should stop handing them out... he was totally aghast and bemused that someone would even consider attempting to sue us for fraudulent activities when all we've done is try to help people...

but hey ho...

Posted: Oct 10, 2018 By: Haunted Worlds Member since: Nov 22, 2011
  11. Mr D

10,157 1,068
    Most houses don't have security dogs. They may have dogs.

12. parkingandsecurity

74 8
    A simple document with the sticker could possibly make it clear the sticker is a visual deterant alone and no security activity would take place but is available for an additional charge subject to contract?

I would contest a burlgar or indeed the police are not consumers. The sticker is clear what is it and if accompanied by the above document it would make it clear that the sticker is being provided as is as part of a zero fee service and no security patrols take place - of course some people will want security patrols on top which adds to the unknown for the burglar.

13. Mr D

10,157 1,068
    How is the burglar not a consumer?
    Just because they aren't the ones paying you? They'd be the ones causing your services to be used! :)

14. parkingandsecurity

74 8
    Consumer - a person who purchases goods and services for personal use.
    Im not saying that is the case merely questioning the stance?

15. Mr D

10,157 1,068
    I'm going to lay off smileys in future.

16. DavidWH

DavidWH UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,168 204
    Scenario 3)

You distribute stickers, don't provide a service, and the local scrotes rob a few places with your stickers in their windows.

Despite what people may think the local scrotes aren't completely brain dean, and
    they soon realise that the stickers aren't a threat, and thus not a deterrent.

Then of course one of you paying customers has the same sticker, and they get robbed, because the stickers have become the local joke with the scrotes.

I remember someone asking one of our customers, an alarm installer, if they could have one of their alarm boxes, to act as a deterrent, the owner laughed and declined on the same basis as above.

Posted: Oct 10, 2018 By: DavidWH Member since: Feb 15, 2011
  17. parkingandsecurity

74 8
    Seems a reasoned response. Not all the stickers would be dormant in the sense that some of the properties would of course have patrols.
    It was just an idea to get the name out there a bit.

18. Mr D

10,157 1,068
    Such a sticker with no backing is one of the things that can turn up when someone else does a security audit.

19. parkingandsecurity

74 8
    So give out free stickers with my competitors names on then go back in a few weeks and do a new audit on their property in my company name? I like your thinking .. though im joking about this obviously.

20. DavidWH

DavidWH UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,168 204
    You're devaluing your service.

Why would I pay for your patrol, when I can just get a free sticker?

Why would I as a new customer pay for your service, if I happened to know someone who got robbed and they had your 'free' sticker, I like the burglar could only assume they had the patrol/dog/cctv?

Security audit's do work, we've a locksmith who provides them, that said he's some rather unique experience that gives him a USP.

Posted: Oct 10, 2018 By: DavidWH Member since: Feb 15, 2011