Ecommerce Forum Brought to you by i-bidder.com

How much should a professional e-commerce website cost?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by William Baker, Apr 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. William Baker

William Baker UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 0
    I am looking for the cost of a website with around 1500 pages. Professionally programmed with many features such as: shopping carts, search engine, stock availability, add to wish list, One page checkout, accounts, categories and 1000s of products, search engine friendly and much more features. This website/platform should be high end and customised. I am very unsure about how much it should cost and some companies are offering £5000 for the website and help manage it and others are offering £40,000 with full management and help in the whole business aswell. Obviously the cheaper one will have less then half the features I have listed but I am not sure if it is worth paying for the £40,000 platform. They have also offered a mobile app for £15,000.

Posted: Apr 1, 2017 By: William Baker Member since: Apr 1, 2017
  2. ryedale

ryedale Contributor Full Member - Verified Business

1,537 365
    The app is pointless - so long as your site works well responsively, then people will buy through that rather than installing an app.

Your marketing budget is just as important as the site design as getting any new E-Commerce venture off the ground from scratch is extremely challenging.

What are you planning on having on 1500 pages! or is that product pages?

Posted: Apr 1, 2017 By: ryedale Member since: Dec 17, 2013
  3. William Baker

8 0
    Yes I agree app is not needed at the moment. And yes the 1500 pages are product pages. What are your thoughts on the pricing?

4. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

29,337 8,652
    And whatever you pay for the site, the marketing costs will be a lot more.

£5000 is at the lower end of the price range. £40,000 might be about right - there just isn't enough detail in your post to give better advice. What do you mean by high end? What are the products? Who are the target customers?

Posted: Apr 1, 2017 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  5. ryedale

ryedale Contributor Full Member - Verified Business

1,537 365
    It all depends on so many different factors

The platform used to build the site
    The type of sector you are targeting - potential customers?
    Bespoke coding - the full functionality required?
    Hosting set up required?

If you want to pm me a full spec (or post it here) , I'll be happy to have a closer look for you.

Posted: Apr 1, 2017 By: ryedale Member since: Dec 17, 2013
  6. William Baker

8 0
    Medical supplies including individuals to multinational organisations and also big players like the NHS. High end meaning a high quality and professional website which can manage high traffic and also very responsive, multi linguistic and multi national.

7. fisicx

29,337 8,652
    In which case £40K probably isn't enough.

8. William Baker

8 0
    So what is the realistic price and how much shall we spend on marketing per month?

9. William Baker

8 0
    Also does making a £40k website improve traffic. We know about Google Ads but other than that does it increase traffic?

10. fisicx

29,337 8,652
    No, all that 40K does is get you a website with all the features you want. You then need to spend a whole lot more on marketing (including SEO) to get the traffic.

Getting on to page one for all 1500 products could easily eat up 500K

11. William Baker

8 0
    How much should we sped on Google Ads?

12. William Baker

8 0
    *spend

13. fisicx

29,337 8,652
    For promoting 1500 products to NHS and other medical organisations world wide I'd budget a minimum of £1000/day.

You are moving into a multi-million pounds business area, your competitors will have huge marketing budgets.

14. William Baker

8 0
    Thanks for your help!

15. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

10,601 1,110
    Not meaning to be funny, but would a site able to handle high traffic be redundant if you are targeting at multinationals and such as the NHS? Presumably they will not have more than a few staff looking at any one site?

Posted: Apr 2, 2017 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  16. Paul Norman

Paul Norman UKBF Ace Free Member

2,344 712
    The brief is insufficient to give an accurate answer, but £40k does not sound excessive.

You will, in addition, receive a lot of 'bits and pieces of advice', which rather confuses the thread.

You need to make a precise specification, and get businesses with experience of e commerce to provide you with detailed responses to that.

For this kind of budget, I would expect the pitch to be face to face, and I would expect refers. I would ensure the contract is water tight.

If you have no experience of this kind of purchase, I would involve someone who has. Such a person would help you to understand the spec, and probably save you money.

Posted: Apr 3, 2017 By: Paul Norman Member since: Apr 8, 2010
  17. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

7,670 2,984
    In which case £40k is probably just enough for a Band-Aid sticking plaster of a website.

You will need a database behind the website that reports stock levels and fires off orders to resupply, as well as all the payment tools required. All that means that a site of the scope you envisage cannot be done, without a proper total enterprise integration and a dedicated team to run it all.

A simple and silly 'back-of-envelope' calculation - On one project I did just for fun (c.a. 100 pages, each page containing the equivalent of c.a. 10 pages in a book) just text and pictures took me about five hours per page - that's without any stock level databases or on-line payments, just text and pictures. So just text and pictures for 1,500 pages in one language would take 7,500 - and repeat for each language! How many languages do you need - there are 18 languages in the EU?

If you just do the top ten, that's 75,000 hours work at (for the sake of argument) £10 an hour (good luck getting programmers at that rate!) comes to £750k.

Given that there might be some savings as you will be repeating pages, but also remembering that you will have to pay someone to write all those texts and then there are all those translation and checking of text costs, plus the cost of on-line sales and CC transactions, I think that your annual costs for the website alone (without any SEO or PPC activity) should not leave much change out of £1m.

Posted: Apr 3, 2017 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  18. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,040 1,668
    Is this an existing business or a startup?

Posted: Apr 3, 2017 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  19. mtools

mtools UKBF Regular Free Member

393 41
    5 hours to do a page? what?! if they're product pages i would imagine you could do 10 pages in an hour provided there was a page template in the theme / site documentation.

Posted: Apr 4, 2017 By: mtools Member since: Mar 27, 2013
  20. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

7,670 2,984
    Simple page assembly, yes, but with photography, text writing, translations, site checking and signing off?

Posted: Apr 4, 2017 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.