What email application do you use?

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Otis, May 11, 2021.

1. Otis

Otis UKBF Newcomer

23 2
    Hi everybody. Hope you're all keeping safe!

I just wanted to see what everybody uses to manage emails on a day to day basis.

Unfortunately, we've hit a roadblock with Microsoft Outlook - it's simply not good enough and I'm not a fan of the look and feel.

Previously, we all used Mac's and our email app of choice was Spark by Readle. Unfortunately, this app is not available for Windows. The ability to schedule to send later (without needing the app open) and the quick "move email to folder" function saved a lot of time and increased our productivity tenfold.

I have tried Mailbird and eMClient but they do not take my liking either.

What do you use? What do you find works best?

Thank you in advance! :)

Posted: May 11, 2021 By: Otis Member since: Sep 30, 2018
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. WebDesires

WebDesires Full Member
    Contributor

283 49
    Thunderbird, Obviously ;)

P.s. It can do send later (via plugin), but needs app to be open I believe.

Posted: May 12, 2021 By: WebDesires Member since: Feb 23, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. mattk

mattk Contributor

2,588 957
    Gmail

Posted: May 12, 2021 By: mattk Member since: Dec 5, 2005
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

34,763 10,626
    Thunderbird. And occasionally RoundCube

Posted: May 12, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  5. WaveJumper

WaveJumper Contributor

2,044 517
    Gmail

Posted: May 12, 2021 By: WaveJumper Member since: Aug 26, 2013
  6. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

10,129 2,770
    Thunderbird.

But as I run my own MTA I do a lot of server side filtering with Sieve. Would be in a right mess without that.

Posted: May 12, 2021 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  7. zigojacko

zigojacko Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

3,748 1,212
    Recently switched from Thunderbird to Mailspring for a local email client.

Just for my own work email as all our company mailboxes are set up in Teamwork Desk that route via our agency Google Workspace (so Gmail's mail servers).

Over the years I have tried and tested countless email apps. I would not recommend Mailbird, or emClient if that helps. Postbox is okay and is basically Thunderbird with a cleaner UI.

Posted: May 12, 2021 By: zigojacko Member since: Dec 7, 2009
  8. John Hemming

John Hemming Full Member
    Contributor

852 188
    Mainly Thunderbird.

Posted: May 12, 2021 By: John Hemming Member since: May 23, 2019
  9. gpietersz

gpietersz Full Member
    Contributor

2,222 562
    Thunderbird. With plugins.

I run my own mail servers, incoming and outgoing (not as much hassle as people here say, although I have had trouble with sending to hotmail addresses, but, oddly not Office365) for the domain I get the most emails too (planning tos wtich others too).

Posted: May 12, 2021 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  10. IanSuth

IanSuth Contributor

438 127
    i am forced to use Zoho for one of the companies i do work for - i hate it with a passion.
    Mainly Thunderbird but
    I actually liked Outlook Express, easy to back up on a client because of how it used store folders and because of it's stripped down nature not vulnerable to many attack vectors Outlook

Posted: May 12, 2021 By: IanSuth Member since: Apr 1, 2021
  11. zigojacko

Contributor

3,748 1,212
    This is the number one reason we try to avoid running our own mail servers and advise all clients to use a third party for email.

Microsoft own a lot of domains and every business will have customers with mailboxes at these domains and trying to battle with the constant overly finicky nature in which they are constantly blacklisting server IP addresses was just a huge hassle.

It's always possible to remove the block but it repeatedly happens. And only with Microsoft (@ hotmail, @ live, @ outlook etc etc). And the support was close to useless. Right nightmare!

12. Paul Kelly ICHYB

Paul Kelly ICHYB Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

6,079 899
    @Otis you don't say how you want to manage them or what you mean by manage.

Also, what system manages your email?

Posted: May 12, 2021 By: Paul Kelly ICHYB Member since: Jan 21, 2008
  13. gpietersz

gpietersz Full Member
    Contributor

2,222 562
    Oddly enough, I have only had issues with Hotmail, and my email is mostly to businesses its not really an issue. I regularly send to other MS domains with no problem.

There is a cheap and simple solution, which is you run your own mailserver, but relay outgoing mail a third party SMTP server for outgoing mail - there are plenty of services that offer this. Its still a lot cheaper than using a third party service for email, and gives you all the other advantages of running your own server. I will do this before switching other domains to my mail server, as at that point it might become a problem. So far I have not bothered because its affected a grand total of three recipients and I just used a different address in those cases.

14. zigojacko

Contributor

3,748 1,212
    Yes, we do this sometimes too. But generally, it's a weight off our shoulders if we can just switch off our server's mail service and point the MX records to elsewhere. Mail isn't something we really want to have to deal with in the business if we can help it. I've lost so many hours in the past over email configuration - haha.

15. gpietersz

gpietersz Full Member
    Contributor

2,222 562
    I shared that opinion in the past, but when I found and tried tools to simplify the setup and admin, I was pleasantly surprised. Its really not much harder than managing a web server now.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. NickGrogan

NickGrogan Full Member
    Contributor

2,919 708
    Outlook365

Posted: May 12, 2021 By: NickGrogan Member since: Nov 15, 2012
  17. John Hemming

John Hemming Full Member
    Contributor

852 188
    I used to run a mail server for my main mail, but now use a mixture of Zoho and Gmail for that. I was using an old version of Exchange and it was a bit rubbish.

I have also taken some open source SMTP code, fixed a few bugs in it and I use to to give low level control on some emails (it is easier to control the crypto aspects that way), but I don't use it much. For most email I just attach Thunderbird to either Zoho or Gmail and run that way. I do sometimes use the Zoho and Gmail interfaces, but I prefer to download the email so I can play around with the files if needs be offline.

18. DontAsk

DontAsk Contributor

2,141 360
    Avoid ThunderTurd. Support is useless. You have to use a forum populated by arrogant knobheads (or at least it was like that when I had issues a few years ago) who just repeat the script.

Paid for eM Client every time for me. The support e-mail is responsive and they know what they are doing. The last issue I reported got a response within 24 hours and is being fixed.

Posted: May 12, 2021 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. gpietersz

gpietersz Full Member
    Contributor

2,222 562
    Maybe Exchange was the problem?

Something like https://mailinabox.email/ makes it all a whole lot easier to run (it uses Dovecot and Postfix, and Roundcode for webmail, and various other bits) and is dead easy to set up.

20. John Hemming

John Hemming Full Member
    Contributor

852 188
    Maybe it was.

We have to run internal services through a reverse proxy which makes it an extra bit of faff. Hence I am going for now to stick with the mixture of Google and Zoho.

If we were going to go further with an inhouse setup I would spend a bit more time on my own server. It gives some good low level access to what is happening with emails which can be quite helpful. I have an integrated communications server with voice/video, email and messaging, but I am busy doing other things at the moment.