What do you think about the brochure design?

Discussion in 'Website Reviews & Testing' started by Ali_SA, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Ali_SA

Ali_SA UKBF Contributor Free Member

46 2
    Hi all,
    I asked about my website a couple of weeks back and a tip I got form a couple of users was that my website didn't have a detailed explanation of what exactly we teach kids.

So I've decided to create brochure packs.
    I'm creating 1 main brochure for all courses, and I'm also creating a smaller one for each individual course we have.
    I just created a quick page on my site so you can view them:
    https://www.softwareacademy.co.uk/brochure.html

Once the "Games Design" brochure has been fully sorted out, it will be used as a template for other courses.

I understand the brochures have different colours, we're going with the blue theme (we're basing our entire theme on the blue/yellow colour scheme for website, etc.) so the yellow brochure will be updated to have the blue colours later on.
    Also there may be some grammar error along the way, we're getting someone to proofread the whole thing before we publish them.

Any feedback highly appreciated.

Posted: Aug 21, 2018 By: Ali_SA Member since: Aug 31, 2016
  2. menetworkjadaltd

menetworkjadaltd UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

597 86
    It costs less to pay monthly than it does in one lump sum in your 5-course option...

Posted: Aug 21, 2018 By: menetworkjadaltd Member since: Dec 14, 2011
  3. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! { Moderator }

34,229 10,156
    12Mb!

Bin the pdf and just put the content on the site. Do this at the same time as you fix everything else on the site.

Looking at the brochures and they look homemade. Design isn't a skill you have. Get someone to do it for you. But not a pdf. Parents looking as the site on a phone won't want to download a pdf. Build really smart interactive pages. And show visitors what the students have created.

Posted: Aug 21, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  4. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,756 1,865
    You can compress PDFs if they are for web viewing. The 6.9mb one compressed to 1mb when I did it just now and the 12.2mb down to 1.5mb.

Posted: Aug 21, 2018 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  5. Ali_SA

46 2
    Sweet, but how do the pictures look? Aren't they too blurry?

6. Ali_SA

46 2
    I have to disagree on that. The brochure is something that we must have, a lot of parents have asked for it, and all my competitors have their own on their website. It's become a "requirement" to have them.

The "design" however is a different topic, and could improve. It also goes down to the fact that we haven't taken as much pictures as we should have, so we're kind of limited on that.
    I need to hire a professional photographer to come to a few sessions and take pics.

7. Ali_SA

46 2
    I don't think you've calculated it correctly.
    55 x 9 = 495
    Annual fee = £460

8. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! { Moderator }

34,229 10,156
    OK, so put the information on the site and also offer a download.

But...

The site is still letting you down and the because the brochures look a bit cheap they won't achieve the results you desire. Pay a designer to create them for you. It will be money well spent.

Posted: Aug 21, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  9. am:pm graphics

am:pm graphics UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

731 68
    Hi, I would recommend having a professional designer work on your brochures. As you have all of the info and images and a good idea of what you want it should be easy for you to get some quotes for the design. They can also ensure the file isn't too big for online use etc. If you want to run with a colour theme for each brochure perhaps look into doing this in a more subtle way..

Posted: Aug 22, 2018 By: am:pm graphics Member since: Jun 14, 2006
  10. menetworkjadaltd

597 86
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure I got my calculations just right...

Posted: Aug 22, 2018 By: menetworkjadaltd Member since: Dec 14, 2011
  11. Ali_SA

46 2
    Oh the file on the brochure is wrong! I double checked the website and it was fine, so I thought you calculated it wrong.
    Thanks a lot, I owe you a drink!

Posted: Aug 22, 2018 By: Ali_SA Member since: Aug 31, 2016
  12. menetworkjadaltd

597 86
    Mine's a Guinness

Posted: Aug 22, 2018 By: menetworkjadaltd Member since: Dec 14, 2011
  13. Steven001

Steven001 UKBF Regular Free Member

162 9
    Seconded for binning the PDF. I had to wait 40secs to download a 12mb file, that's a no no. If I was a prospective customer I would have cancelled that download before it was finished. People want instantaneous information, everything should be immediately visible to all on the website. If you wanted to you could offer a download or make a print ready page for people as a secondary option to showing it all in HTML and CSS.

Also agree on the design of the leaflets, they look very amateur, orange background colour is bad, orange/amber is a warning! Also text is too small in these PDF's.
    See below and compare for an example.

[​IMG]

Posted: Aug 24, 2018 By: Steven001 Member since: Aug 1, 2018