VAT paid twice - getting refund from HMRC

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by BryanJackson, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BryanJackson

    BryanJackson UKBF Newcomer Full Member

    24 1
    Having filed by last VAT return online recently, I paid the due amount via "Billpay", however HMRC also took out the same amount 2 weeks later via a direct debit I didn't realise I had set up!

    Having called the VAT helpline several times, I've been told that the duplicate amount "should be refunded" within 30 days - but each time the answer is vague.

    Has anyone else had a similar problem, and how long did it take to get the refund?
    Posted: Jul 27, 2010 By: BryanJackson Member since: Apr 21, 2010
  2. MyAccountantOnline

    MyAccountantOnline UKBF Legend Full Member

    13,337 2,506
    Could you possibly use the bank D/D guarantee and get a refund that way if HMRC have taken it in error.
    Posted: Jul 27, 2010 By: MyAccountantOnline Member since: Sep 24, 2008
  3. Mpg

    Mpg UKBF Ace Free Member

    1,498 281
    so your in credit with the VAT.

    Will it not just show when you do your next VAT return online. Assuming you can wait another couple of months.
    Posted: Jul 27, 2010 By: Mpg Member since: Aug 18, 2009
  4. srini_ma

    srini_ma UKBF Newcomer Free Member

    1 0
    I am into the same problem, paid vat twice. Paid the due amount via Direct Debit -> Payment Plan and HMRC also deducted the same amount later via a direct debit.

    What is the procedure to get the refund? (or) Is the overpaid vat amount can be adjusted with the next vat payment due ?
    Posted: Sep 25, 2011 By: srini_ma Member since: Sep 25, 2011
  5. elainec100@cheapaccounting

    [email protected] UKBF Newcomer Full Member

    13,267 2,882
    Old post

    Just write to HMRC and ask for a refund.

    Note this is not a bank error as they have processed the DD as instructed - the error is due to making a duplicate payment
    Posted: Sep 26, 2011 By: [email protected] Member since: Nov 4, 2005
  6. Jenni384

    Jenni384 UKBF Big Shot Full Member

    4,861 1,542
    About 30 days is about right. I had a client do the same thing and the excess money was automatically returned by HMRC after about a month.
    Posted: Sep 26, 2011 By: Jenni384 Member since: Oct 1, 2007
  7. Business News

    Business News UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

    583 94
    Cripes - how many can afford to carry a double VAT payment? I know it'd leave a gaping hole in my cash balance.

    The HMRC used to be very quick in issuing refunds but the last one we received took 2 months and a couple of phone calls to chase up. I was left wondering if they have adopted a hold onto someone elses cash as long as you can stance.
    Posted: Sep 26, 2011 By: Business News Member since: Feb 2, 2009
  8. Pandybearse

    Pandybearse UKBF Contributor Full Member

    85 8
    This happened to us, and they refunded the money after a quick phone call in 3 days back to our current account. Couldn't have been any nicer about it. Hope the same works out for you
    Posted: Sep 29, 2011 By: Pandybearse Member since: Dec 9, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.