Shipping to the USA

Discussion in 'International Business' started by JohnVDV, Mar 8, 2021.

1. JohnVDV

JohnVDV UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    Hi guys, looking for some advice re the sale of goods to the US.

We have a patent pending application for a product getting made in the UK and awaiting our first delivery from the manufacturer (An Item of clothing weighing 200g, retailing at £24.99). The market is mainly B2C in the US/Canada and Australia (Some EU). What is the best and most cost efficient way of sending the item from the UK to these countries?

Standard mail would kill the project even before it starts. Been researching online with RM click and drop, courier services etc but all those costs seem way too prohibitive. What is the secret? Other than having the item made in these countries which is not an option with this in its infancy.

Appreciate any advice and apologies for any ignorance in advance

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 By: JohnVDV Member since: Mar 8, 2021
  2. Paul Norman

Paul Norman UKBF Ace Free Member

3,277 1,078
    It depends a little on the customer expectation. If they want delivery to the US in less than 4 days, you are going to be using FEDEX or similar, but it is not cheap.

Given the weight you might be able to send Royal Mail Large Letter (I can send tee shirts like that), but the delivery time is much slower.

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 By: Paul Norman Member since: Apr 8, 2010
  3. JohnVDV

4 0
    That would be ideal, no one is expecting next day delivery. One of the concerns I have with that is the "didn't receive the goods" thing that people seem so happy to do. Do you send recorded and Tracked? The fee then goes from £1.70 to £6.95 (Standard letter is limited to 100g) which makes it a large letter which then goes to £4 and Tracked £9.45

4. Paul Norman

3,277 1,078
    I send everything signed for/tracked.

You do still get a small number of 'didn't receive the goods' issues, but the number is small.

5. JohnVDV

4 0
    Thanks Paul, and people are happy to pay the £9 for posting?

6. Paul Norman

3,277 1,078
    Well, that is going to depend a lot on the product.

In many cases, yes, they are. But I am not selling volumes to the USA - it is not my core market. Would I sell more if postage was less? Of course. Would it make more commercial sense? That is a question I am looking at with my EU sales currently rather depleted.

It will depend on whether the real cost (goods plus postage) is still competitive with USA retailers. I suspect most of the stuff I sell to the USA is not really available from USA retailers.

7. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,401 909
    What about FBA or a fulfilment service in the USA?

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  8. atmosbob

atmosbob UKBF Ace Free Member

4,750 1,141
    Small scale fulfillment looks like your best bet. Shipping pallets to the US is far far cheaper than any postage parcel system.

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 By: atmosbob Member since: Oct 26, 2009
  9. JohnVDV

4 0
    Little bit too early to be talking about pallets, would like to think it will be possible but for now we need to establish the market and see if the product will actually sell. Having looked at some of the facilities they talking 1000s of units per month, we not there ...yet

Anyone with experience of click and drop with Royal mail?