Rip it to shreds

Discussion in 'Website Reviews & Testing' started by G. Lasagne, Mar 4, 2020.

1. G. Lasagne

G. Lasagne UKBF Ace Full Member

2,291 434
    Hi Folks, following on from a previous post I have just had a rather expensive redesign of my website carried out. the old domains now give a 404 error which may be down to the poor rankings. previously I ranked really well locally after doing much of the seo myself. I consider myself an amateur enthusiast seo is something I enjoy but also find frustrating to my lack of knowledge. can I restore my old domains? I fear they are deleted so I may have lost the seo benefit anyway. the main domain name is the same (home page) but the service pages have different names.

I hope this makes sense. Please feel free to rip my website to shreds the more critical the better. And any tips or advice will be gratefully received. Thank you in advance.

htto://gasangelheating.co.uk

Posted: Mar 4, 2020 By: G. Lasagne Member since: Mar 12, 2008
  2. G. Lasagne

2,291 434
  3. MBE2017

MBE2017 UKBF Ace Free Member

1,941 708
    Took a quick look at your new website, not an expert but have sold boilers for years.

Personally I really liked your website, the only little thing I would do is get one or two testimonials right at the top of your main landing page. I liked the overall look, design and colour scheme of your website, 9/10 from myself.

Posted: Mar 4, 2020 By: MBE2017 Member since: Feb 16, 2017
  4. G. Lasagne

2,291 434
    Thanks for the feedback, its good to meet someone in the same industry

5. intheTRADE

intheTRADE UKBF Regular Free Member

336 111
    In terms of design, layout and content you've pretty much cracked it. Looks good, easy to navigate (on both mobile and desktop) and all makes sense. They only thing that is poor is the speed it runs at very. Very slow loading from page to page so you may want to look at that

Slightly off topic, I do some marketing work for Checkatrade every now and then and when I was last down at their offices in Portsmouth I actually used your profile (because it was one of the better ones when I searched 'Central Heating' in my area) as an example of what I was explaining to them as I am from Newcastle as well. Small world!

Posted: Mar 4, 2020 By: intheTRADE Member since: Apr 14, 2019
  6. G. Lasagne

2,291 434

wow thanks ha. Could you send me a private message regarding what marketing services you offer. we're always looking for more exposure. Also is there a quick fix to rectify the loading speeds? Thanks again

7. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,479 9,924
    Slow slow slow.

Poor hosting and a huge homepage. If you want a fast site get better hosting and get the site developers to do the job properly. The images are massive and you have umpteen plugins and things all slowing it down. And this is after compression! There is no quick fix for this. You need to get the developers to sort it (it's a crap theme they are using).

The main navigation spills over onto two lines and turns into a hamburger on a tablet - which means people can't see what you offer.

The hero image tells me you fix broken boilers. Nothing else. So if I need an upgrade I won't call you because you don't do installations...

It says I can get an instant quote but the next line says 'fixed price'.

You have a list of ticked things and a learn more button but the target page doesn't expand on any of the things in the ticklist.

You have an 'areas we cover' dropdown but then what? I expected something to happen

Tried the quote thing and it's quite clever but could all be done on one page and show instant results. For example I could switch between different boiler/tank configurations.

I filled in the form to get a date and it seems you will travel all the way down to Aldershot.

Test the form on your phone on 4G (not wifi) - it just grinds to a halt. And the UX isn't very good.

No links to any testimonials. So your claim of 1000s of happy customer has no veracity.

A whole load of pages that go nowhere: https://www.gasangelheating.co.uk/radiators-central-heating/ This page has no purpose - why is it even on the site?

That will do for now.

The big thing to fix is the speed. Every page is slooooow.... The developers need a good kicking for delivering this.

Posted: Mar 4, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  8. G. Lasagne

2,291 434
    Thanks that's the sort of feedback I need. when you say hosting do I need to pay for more server space? thanks

9. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,479 9,924
    No you just need a better host. You are sharing a server with 300 other sites. Some of those may be eating up all the bandwidth.

But that's really a minor fix. It's the whole site that needs investigating. You have over 6Mb of images on the homepage! Pingdom tells me it takes 17seconds for the whole page to load.

Disable caching and compression and you will see the true horror of the site.

Posted: Mar 4, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  10. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

842 173
    Site is slow at best but just for the giggle I run your estimator and found that you would be on a very high price point to be honest but your content doesn't explain that well why you are very expensive. Nothing wrong with being expensive but you might wanna explain that better.

For example on a 2 bedroom house your quote +£3600 for a boiler installation. This seems quite steep. Just had mine done and lets run some figures

The boiler you use is a very good Worchester / Bosch one and I bought the same:

Cost me £600 + £200 for flu kits including VAT , this is me buying private and talking to suppliers

Cost of installation let's be generous.

2 x people @ £100 each for 4 hours. Should be half day job so lets say £800 labour + VAT

small parts lets throw in another £100

All in £1750 + VAT ad a 20% markup on there too and we have £2450 all in.

you got £3600 as a quote but won't explain or give me a good reason to go with your more expensive one.

Just saying if you want to be that expensive you might have to provide better reason why.

Posted: Mar 6, 2020 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  11. MBE2017

MBE2017 UKBF Ace Free Member

1,941 708
    My three bedroom house came in at £2357, fair price, 0% interest offer etc.

There is always someone cheaper, such instant quote sites are designed for the people who prefer to have an accurate idea on price without having to get someone to call around, so a small contingency figure will always be added on.

I would agree though, the price could be tied into more benefits, to show good reasons to proceed, but this like most websites will develop. The benefits are dotted around the site, but not shown all together with the price.

Posted: Mar 6, 2020 By: MBE2017 Member since: Feb 16, 2017
  12. Simon-TP

Simon-TP UKBF Regular Full Member

101 21
    Not sure if the OP is still looking but the card logos in the footer need updating (and Visa Delta removing). Apart from that I like it. Nice and clear, easy enough to use and engaging.

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 By: Simon-TP Member since: May 5, 2020