New wind turbine design

Discussion in 'Green Business' started by Tim Grindley, Jul 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cryptomagic

cryptomagic UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    I read everything available about Tesla and his work. You don't have to believe I am just saying what is true. Tesla is probably the greatest mind ever lived.

Posted: Oct 9, 2018 By: cryptomagic Member since: Oct 7, 2018
  2. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

10,870 2,205
    Have you considered a basic wind tunnel for your design

The wind farms around great yarmouth both offshore and on shore dont appear to have many breakdowns and never seen any broken blades, (maybe they change them at night)

What is the loss due to friction over your 90 degree turn to the generator

Posted: Oct 9, 2018 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  3. alan1302

alan1302 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

633 111
    I will let you believe what you want and I'll follow the truth.

Tesla was a very intelligent man but sadly had mental health problems in his later years which is the time when a lot of this 'free energy' ideas came about.

For some decent and properly researched information about him you can read here:

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4345

Posted: Oct 9, 2018 By: alan1302 Member since: Jun 2, 2018
  4. Tim Grindley

Tim Grindley UKBF Contributor Free Member

51 1
    How many of the turbines are working vs not working in a decent wind?

The level of inactive turbines does seeem to have decreased recently though. Perhaps they are beginning to solve some of the repair problems.

Not sure what you mean by a basic wind tunnel. The existing one is 6m high.

Posted: Oct 9, 2018 By: Tim Grindley Member since: May 24, 2017
  5. Chris Ashdown

10,870 2,205
    well if you have a wind tunnel then you have figures for different wind velocities already other alternatives would be to scale both the turbine and the tunnel down to a smaller more manageable size
    Very strange you never have any winds where you live, this week we have had a very large selection from Gale to none and all in between

Posted: Oct 9, 2018 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  6. Tim Grindley

51 1
    Yes and I am currently working in Woking and not able to get to it...!!!! Argh!!

Posted: Oct 10, 2018 By: Tim Grindley Member since: May 24, 2017
  7. Jasondb

Jasondb UKBF Regular Free Member

144 9
    I recall Tesla lit up light bulbs in the Earth, now whether this is true or not I bought my daughter a science kit where we lit a small bulb from a lemon or potato, it worked.
    So this suggests that there is an energy in living matter that can be used though how effective on a larger scale it would be is anyone's guess. There may also a be side effect that less soil could be used for agriculture.
    The one alternative I did find interesting was Stan Meyer and his water powered car. He died a strange death which looks like poisoning. Sadly too many powerful interests are vested against a new energy coming forth that would drastically make energy much cheaper.

Posted: Oct 14, 2018 By: Jasondb Member since: Apr 23, 2018
  8. alan1302

alan1302 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

633 111
    The potato bulb power does not come from the potato at all - you use a zinc metal which dissolves in the acid which is inside the potato and that causes the electrons to be produced from the zinc which travel to the copper metal and power the bulb so no energy is in the potato it's just a chemical reaction with the zinc and potato. So sadly no use to agriculture.

Stan Meyer died of high blood pressure and & an aneurysm - whilst oil companies would not been as keen there are plenty of other companies that would be very interested. Any car company for instance. Sadly Stan Meyer's work has been shown to be nonsense with no scientific basis.

Posted: Oct 14, 2018 By: alan1302 Member since: Jun 2, 2018
  9. Tim Grindley

51 1
    This one does not violate any laws of physics unlike getting energy out of water for free.

Posted: Oct 15, 2018 By: Tim Grindley Member since: May 24, 2017
  10. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

9,141 3,603
    The one big problem (apart from inefficiency and intermittent generation) for wind power, is getting planning permission. Your design would have to be significantly less obtrusive than present designs.

Posted: Oct 15, 2018 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  11. Tim Grindley

51 1
    Yes that is a factor but I am am hoping that the easy pass that agricultural buildings get combined with the low impact of adding it to the top of an industrial building in an industrial estate plus the general easy time green energy gets in planning that there will be enough places for it.

Posted: Oct 16, 2018 By: Tim Grindley Member since: May 24, 2017
  12. Chris Ashdown

10,870 2,205
    Solar is a buch more stable source of energy, some places around where i live have roof tops covered in about 50 plus panels

Posted: Oct 16, 2018 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  13. Tim Grindley

51 1
    Oh that it was actually cost effective and indeed effective at producing electricity.

14. Jasondb

144 9
    Personally rather than wind turbines I think wave turbines would generally be more reliable. Elon Musk also sells home units in the US for solar and wind turbine to power directly US homes.

Posted: Oct 16, 2018 By: Jasondb Member since: Apr 23, 2018
  15. Tim Grindley

51 1
    I think the chief problems with wave power involve the problems of the cost of what happens after a storm hits and it all needs repairing.

Cost of doing repair work out at sea is expensive.

16. Jasondb

144 9
    Tim agree storms would need to be considered, as an island nation it would be good for us to investigate this further, IMO.

Posted: Oct 16, 2018 By: Jasondb Member since: Apr 23, 2018
  17. Tim Grindley

51 1
    That depends upon if somebody comes up with a solution that makes electricity at 2p per kW/hr.

18. Chris Ashdown

10,870 2,205
    Wave power is a poor choice when you have known currents that move around the coast in a predictable time and strength every twelve hours

Posted: Oct 17, 2018 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  19. Jasondb

144 9
    Is this not the same with the wind turbine generators we have?
    Wind varies from time to time and sometimes is so powerful that turbines have caught fire in the past?

Posted: Oct 18, 2018 By: Jasondb Member since: Apr 23, 2018
  20. Chris Ashdown

10,870 2,205
    No currents are a known direction and force every day and change with the tide, they also circle around two points in the north sea in time so what is say off Dover moves south and peaks at say Folkestone a set number of minutes later that day, so the time of no or little current is predictable and moves along the coast

Posted: Oct 18, 2018 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.