New wind turbine design

Discussion in 'Green Business' started by Tim Grindley, Jul 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Grindley

Tim Grindley UKBF Contributor Free Member

51 1
    Some people buy a sports car as a midlife crisis. I have chosen a much more mad thing to do.

I have invented and built the first proof of principal machine. It is 6m high 4m wide and sitting in a scrap yard in Rotherham. The design differs from the normal 3 bladed type seen all over the place in that it is a large cowl which channels the wind down to director vanes that induce a spin in the wind. This spinning wind is then taken into the center and back up and out of the back.

At the point where the spinning air comes into the center there is a turbine. A centrifugal turbine if you wish to get technical. This has a vertical axis and is smaller than would be required by the 3 bladed ones.

When you see the existing 3 bladed wind turbines and a third of them are not working it is because they are devils for maintenance trouble. The blades, because they are in compression when at the top of the revolution and extension at the bottom, crack all the time. The gear box taking a very low RPM high torque drive to a high RPM dynamo is also asking for trouble. Even the pillar the thing is on has a nasty habit of cracking.

When any of these things happen the repair crew needs to work at 100m up in a windy location. And all the not working ones in the country need doing at the same time before the wind returns.

My design does not suffer from this as the vertical axis makes most of the trouble go away. The turbine is just above the heads of the workers and can be lowered and returned in a couple of hours. The dynamo is on the floor within the shed like base of the unit. If it is windy when you want to repair the system that is not a problem as there are shutters which can be closed on the outside of the cowl.

The cowl can be rotated to face the wind to catch as much as possible in low winds and turned away a bit if the wind is too strong. There is thus no problem of not being able to generate electricity in high winds which is yet another trouble with the 3 bladed design.

I would love to present detailed data as to the working output of the system with wind speed vs power etc. However, this has to be the calmest summer ever, and I am waiting for a wind above 10mph!! Realistically whilst small flurries of wind at about 6mph have caused it to turn with no load on it at least 20mph wind would be required for meaningful power output.

Hopefully this will produce power at a cost well below the cost of electricity from the grid.

OK, I have possibly solved the global warming thing and have the patent on the system that will produce everybody's power in 10 years time. So, given I am just a plumber what the hell do I do next?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Posted: Jul 20, 2018 By: Tim Grindley Member since: May 24, 2017
  2. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

9,910 2,632
    See if you can talk to James Dyson. Nobody knows more about cyclonic air movement and how to exploit it commercially.

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  3. obscure

obscure UKBF Ace Free Member

3,055 737
    Obvious answer is that you license it to Elon Musk and retire.

btw what does it cost to manufacture compared to the existing ones? Also what is the lifespan of the existing ones (assuming they keep repairing them).

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 By: obscure Member since: Jan 18, 2008
  4. Tim Grindley

51 1
    Allegedly so cheap they will repay in less than a year.

If that were true then we would see them everywhere so I think something is up.

To be fair this system gets better the larger you go so a 6kW one is probably not going to be better than the existing ones for the first year or 2.

5. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

17,658 2,012
    Produce some data (even with this current weather you will have data) for variable days and present to some companies in the power trade. Will need ramping up to similar to current sizes to get accurate comparison data - someone will want that data and pay to get it if interested.

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  6. Tim Grindley

51 1
    Data so far;

Does not work with wind speed of 4mph.

Just about gets the turbine to rotate with no load, other than the friction of the badly built turbine its' self, at about 8mph.

7. NickGrogan

NickGrogan UKBF Ace Full Member

2,222 514
    Posted: Jul 20, 2018 By: NickGrogan Member since: Nov 15, 2012
  8. Gecko001

Gecko001 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

2,841 449
    A vertical axis wind turbine that has a cowling around it is almost the Holly Grail for wind turbine designers. Many have searched for a design that is marketable and as far as I know none have been successful. It is all down to output. You need to be able to prove that the output of the turbine will pay back its cost over a reasonable time span. I would make the measurement of output a top priority.

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 By: Gecko001 Member since: Apr 21, 2011
  9. Tim Grindley

51 1
    Good, the fact that it works at about 10mph wind is good.

The advantage of mine is that it is a vertical axis. That means that the upper limit of size is very very large. The bigger the more efficent.

Also they are not claiming to be cost effective. I don't know why with the other claims but I have heard that the low RPM dynamos are extremely costly.

10. Tim Grindley

51 1
    Yep, give me some wind! Come on Britian, it is normally wind some of the week!

11. Gecko001

Gecko001 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

2,841 449
    I thought that you were serious about your proposal, but it appears you are not. Best wishes with it anyway.

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 By: Gecko001 Member since: Apr 21, 2011
  12. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

17,658 2,012

Sorry, parliament are going to stop producing hot air for several weeks. Affects weather.

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  13. Tim Grindley

51 1
    What is not serrius about it?

14. Tim Grindley

51 1
    Er...?

Than?

To be honest I think I have sorted the basic design such that it can be made at a 6kW capacity version for around £8k (?). Though I would like some windy days to get more data because this summer has been sooooo calm!

So far the one slightly windy day had results of about half a kW for a 12 mph wind. That is golden, or at least a glimpse of gold.

I still think that the project would be a lot better with somebody who was an experienced business person actually running the company. Me simple plumber.

Posted: Aug 16, 2018 By: Tim Grindley Member since: May 24, 2017
  15. Hannah Tech

Hannah Tech UKBF Contributor Free Member

34 3
    Where did you get your figures that a third of wind turbines are not working? Who gave you the info on their common maintenance / repair issues?
    I do work in that field based around maintenance and repair, I think you have too many inaccuracies in your assumptions for your business model to work.
    The actual product might be good but you have no clue if it is as you can't test it effectively.
    If you are serious, you need to pay a testing house to run all the tests to give the data you need to prove it works. Then you can sell the concept / get funding or whatever route you think is best.

But until you actually have some proper quantifiable figures its a hunk of metal sitting in a scrap yard in Rotheram.

Posted: Aug 22, 2018 By: Hannah Tech Member since: Jun 4, 2018
  16. Tim Grindley

51 1
    The third or so not working is just from observation of them around the place. Obviously at the moment after a period of low winds they will almost all be working when the wind blows.

Who would you suggest as a suitable company to do the testing and what would you expect that to cost?

Posted: Aug 22, 2018 By: Tim Grindley Member since: May 24, 2017
  17. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

9,133 3,596
    For newer wind turbines in the UK, the figure is more like 1 in 20. The old first generation WT in Germany are 1-in-10.

Posted: Oct 2, 2018 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  18. billmccallum1957

billmccallum1957 UKBF Ace Full Member

1,986 422
    Posted: Oct 2, 2018 By: billmccallum1957 Member since: Feb 11, 2016
  19. Tim Grindley

51 1
    Thanks,

I will give them a call when I have a mimute.

Posted: Oct 2, 2018 By: Tim Grindley Member since: May 24, 2017
  20. alan1302

alan1302 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

630 111
    No, he did not.

If you read a few conspiracy websites you may think he did but sadly Tesla never did.

Posted: Oct 8, 2018 By: alan1302 Member since: Jun 2, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.