Nepotism. Can anyone advise?

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by WRAY, Sep 16, 2020.

1. WRAY

WRAY UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    Hi, im new to thr forum so unsure if i can ask this question but im looking for advice on the following situation.

An internal promotion arose and myself and a colleague applied. I did not get it. I am thinking to raise a grievance for the following reasons (just wondering if its reasonable).

1) the successful candidate was given advanced warning about the position so she could train /prepare.

2) she is friends with the manager and with one of the interviewers.

3) she had only been in the job a month or so. Ive been there for 2 years (with no complaints regarding my work).

Ive requested feedback to see if theres a genuine reason for ne not getting the role but 4 months later ive still not received it.

The day before the interview my manager suggested i applied for other jobs.

To me it seem unfair and unequal opportunities. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 By: WRAY Member since: Sep 16, 2020
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

24,434 2,970
    1 you had 2 years they had a month. How much extra did you need?

2 yes? It's not uncommon to know people you work with. Have had promotion interview several times where I knew at least 2 people in the room interviewing. And pretty much every job have had have ended up knowing the manager.

3 not seeing there is a problem. Though manager suggesting you apply for other jobs suggests you are not great at the job in their eyes.

Does your company do interview feedback?

You can hassle the company about the promotion. What exactly are you looking to get out of it though?

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Legend Full Member

5,015 2,178
    @WRAY , welcome to the real world.
    • Sometimes things are unfair;
    • Not everyone wins a prize at adult egg and spoon races;
    • Life's a b*tch;
    • If Johnny's bullying you, there's no Safeguarding Monitor around to tell him off;
    • The world doesn't owe you anything ...and it takes full advantage of this fact.
    It's, not "myself and a colleague", it's "a colleague and I".

Apart from being bad usage, people who put themselves first in sentences like these tend to also be selfish people who put themselves first in the real world. I see a lot of this with the younger generation.

If you are not really like this then take care to put other people first in sentences like these. What you convey, orally and in writing, does say a lot about you.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  4. MBE2017

MBE2017 UKBF Ace Free Member

1,941 704
    Just to add to this advice FWIW, with large numbers of redundancies, reduced hours and sackings due over the year, OP might wish to consider how he “appears” to his employer.

Come across as a whiner, unhappy etc, it could mean you are fresh in the mind come any future lay offs, which might also be unfair, but people and life can be at times.

My advice, congratulate your colleague, get your head down, work better and harder than ever before, and hope your employer decides in the near future they chose the wrong person. Opportunities come along all the time, be ready to grab them rather than be sat in meetings wasting time.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 By: MBE2017 Member since: Feb 16, 2017
  5. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

14,392 3,837
    Unless the reason for preferential treatment was one of the protected reasons under the Equalities Act there is nothing you can do about it legally. Within the workplace you can do all sorts of things - passive non-cooperation, slowing down your rate of work, getting by on the bare minimum, joining the ranks of the unemployed ...

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  6. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

14,392 3,837
    Sorry, I missed ythe point that this happened 4 MONTHS AGO.

Forget it and move on

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  7. NickGrogan

NickGrogan UKBF Ace Full Member

2,524 604
    Just because a promotion becomes available doesn't mean that you should be promoted.

Maybe you've reached the top of your career ladder?

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 By: NickGrogan Member since: Nov 15, 2012
  8. obscure

obscure UKBF Ace Free Member

3,310 845
    Maybe they didn't promote you because they don't think you are good enough for a higher level position.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 By: obscure Member since: Jan 18, 2008
  9. WRAY

3 0
    Thank you for taking the time to reply.

The world does not owe me anything and I do not expect to be promoted just because a position becomes available. However, I do expect to be treated fairly and to be given an equal opportunity.

My main issue is that the company did not follow their recruitment policy to ensure it was a fair process; they have breeched it.

Had I have been unsuccessful at a fair interview, then I would have no issue. However, merit, qualifications, references, experience, attitude and loyalty were automatically overlooked.

I have grievance meeting booked for next week. Hopefully I can obtain constructive feedback, if nothing else.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 By: WRAY Member since: Sep 16, 2020
  10. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,480 1,181
    IF you were the boss, and one of your employees booked a grievance meeting when in your view you were really relieved you gave the job to the right person, how would you feel?

You must accept that while equality and 'openness' policies mean that many people get invited to apply, in a large amount of the cases, the job will go to the person most suited, and the other interviews and applications are pointless, because they already know the staff. After two years, they gave it to somebody else? Ask yourself why? Clearly they felt it was not for you. Now you are complaining, so they will feel justified. Good job you have gone over the two years, otherwise you could have just been let go.

I once had a boss, who called me into the office and said he was really sorry, but he'd made a mistake and given my pay rise to my colleague, because he had just got married, had a big mortgage and needed the raise, where as I still lived at home with my mum and dad. He told me he couldn't give it to everyone, and he believed my colleagues need was greater - but he had to explain why he did it. I was a bit miffed, but I understood. If he had not done this - because he really didn't need to, I'd have been grumpy with the boss and not understood and taken it as me not being appreciated.

I'd just suck it up and move on, or look for another job.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  11. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

24,434 2,970
    Lots of people get interviewed but if only one job then only one gets it.
    Usually scoring on the interview.

Have been both sides of the interview table. Time in job, qualifications, merit etc mean nothing at the interview - they were what got you there, up to you to ace the interview.
    And every time have been on interview panel, across multiple businesses, the highest score on the interview is who gets the job.
    Score lower than someone else at interview and those other aspects do not need to matter.

Have had experienced staff doing the darn promoted job as a temporary supervisor for over a year who did not ace at interview and did not get the promotion.
    And some kid straight from the jobcentre with a new degree in pocket get the job - because scored highest at the one common aspect all the relevant candidate share. The interview.

You got the interview. You then did not impress enough. Work on that.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  12. WRAY

3 0
    The interview used a point scoring system. I have seen the results of that and it has been doctered in two places.

The job was earmarked for the successful candidate so there was nothing I could have done differently. My interview was just a formality.

I shall be leaving the company next month, along with 6 other team members. Unfortunately my experience is more common than I thought. Policies are not followed and given the nature of the job it is a risky position to be in.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 By: WRAY Member since: Sep 16, 2020
  13. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,361 9,868
    Doctored how?

Did someone get a pen and cross out your scores?

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  14. Aleksander_Gramm

Aleksander_Gramm UKBF Regular Free Member

178 13
    I agree with @Clinton
    Life is life. It is a chance to draw conclusions. In such situation we all need to learn the lesson.

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 By: Aleksander_Gramm Member since: Dec 14, 2018
  15. BustersDogs

BustersDogs UKBF Ace Free Member

1,350 252
    I once missed out on an interview for a job I had been *doing* as 'acting' for 3/4 months, and had been working alongside the person in that role for 3 years. It was given to some new guy who hadn't done that type of work before and was constantly getting things wrong, spending time on the wrong things, coming up with ideas that would never get past the managers (and they didn't). What was irritating was the feedback I got was that to get the promotion I needed to certain parts of the role in greater depth. I had way more knowledge and experience that that guy. But maybe there was something he had, that I didn't. Or maybe even something I had, that he didn't, that they didn't want.

Sometimes you just have to suck it up.

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 By: BustersDogs Member since: Jun 7, 2011
  16. NickGrogan

NickGrogan UKBF Ace Full Member

2,524 604
    You had two years to impress them, you didn't.

You had an interview 4 months ago and you're launching a grievance now, even you'll be leaving next month.

I suspect your bad luck at interviews will follow you if you carry on like this.

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 By: NickGrogan Member since: Nov 15, 2012
  17. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

11,888 2,472
    Its not unusual to head hunt a person who's skills you know, but due to company policy you have to advertise the position to the rest of the company staff

You were not what they wanted for this position and the boss told you to apply for other jobs that he thought you might be better suited for, I bet you never followed this up but just stewed in the background

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  18. Bob Morgan

Bob Morgan UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

961 260
    In some parts of the world 'True Nepotism' is seeing 3 Generations of the same family working side-by-side in the same Government Department - And, the same surname for the whole department!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    Posted: Sep 18, 2020 By: Bob Morgan Member since: Apr 15, 2018
  19. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,848 1,852
    Are you referring to Norfolk, or The Forest of Dean?

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  20. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

11,888 2,472
    Interesting, but what makes you think it's limited to Government departments

ps sorry thought you were talking about incest, that be fine in Norrfolk

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003