MoD offers contracts to cyber security start-ups

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Ozzy, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Ozzy

Ozzy Founder of UKBF UKBF Staff
    Verified Business ✔️

4,316 771
    "The Ministry of Defence (MoD)’s latest Open Call for cyber security start-ups highlights the need for innovation amongst government departments and a willingness to look for solutions amongst smaller businesses rather than established suppliers." ~ TechMarketView

I'm just going to say, about time. My own personal experience with authorities knowledge and experience of cyber security is challenging at best.

Anyway, I thought it good to bring this to the UKBF community attention, if anyone here comes across this and works in the cyber security space, and would like to pitch for some MoD work, then here is the link;

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/defence-and-security-accelerator-dasa-open-call-for-innovation/open-call-innovation-focus-areas

Posted: Aug 18, 2021 By: Ozzy Member since: Feb 9, 2003
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Fagin2021

Fagin2021 Full Member

409 252
    Thanks Ozzy. I'm not in Cyber Security but as it's the MoD I'll offer them something that doesn't exist now, will be delivered 5 years late, will cost them 3 times what I quote, will be obsolete by the time it's delivered and won't work anyway. Happy Days.

Posted: Aug 18, 2021 By: Fagin2021 Member since: Jan 27, 2021
    • Thanks Thanks x 5
  3. Ozzy

Ozzy Founder of UKBF UKBF Staff
    Verified Business ✔️

4,316 771
    Just ensure you maintain it all on Excel.

Posted: Aug 18, 2021 By: Ozzy Member since: Feb 9, 2003
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Fagin2021

Fagin2021 Full Member

409 252
    Surely you mean Lotus 1-2-3 ?

Posted: Aug 18, 2021 By: Fagin2021 Member since: Jan 27, 2021
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. Ryan Vant

Ryan Vant Full Member

12 1
    Thanks for the info Ozzy!

We are by no means a "Big Player" in the cyber security market, although we do pride ourselves with some great technical in-house talent and looking to increase our scope from being a Microsoft Silver Partner, so will definitely see what solutions we can bring to the table!

Posted: Aug 18, 2021 By: Ryan Vant Member since: Aug 10, 2021
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Paul FilmMaker

Paul FilmMaker UKBF Enthusiast

233 74
    This forum really needs a 'laugh' emoji...

Posted: Aug 18, 2021 By: Paul FilmMaker Member since: Aug 29, 2018
  7. The Byre

The Byre Full Member

11,642 5,055
    I wonder if the MoD has ever noticed that the film industry seldom 'loses' a film before its release date! You never get to see pirated copies of that $200m CGI-bean-fest in advance of the release date - and the DVD/BluRay versions never get 'leaked' to the outside world until they are ready and all hit the market in all territories simultaneously.

And all that is despite the fact that a two-hour movie could be put onto a memory stick or just FTD'ed as a ZIP file. How do they do it? Just how do they keep a relatively small data package that may be worth $200m or more so secure?

The answer is simple - nobody in the months-long process and dozens of steps involved in making, processing, editing, adding sound and dialog, authoring digital cinema packages, DVDs and BR disks is on the Internet or can export to a stick or disk and all the inter-studio links are closed, secure and Internet free!

If the MoD wants to enjoy total cyber-security, tell it to get off the Internet!

Posted: Aug 18, 2021 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. atmosbob

atmosbob UKBF Legend

5,057 1,248
    There is also the little matter of competence. Even humble runners are loyal to the production.

When I left school at age 16 I worked in the darkroom of a car company. We often had access to top secret photos that competitors would pay good money for. There was no question that we would ever leak a secret despite our low wages. It is beyond belief that a potential Ambassador to NATO would leave secret papers at a bus shelter.

Posted: Aug 18, 2021 By: atmosbob Member since: Oct 26, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 1