Marketing Advice

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by Abernal, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Abernal

Abernal UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 0
    Hello everyone,

I work for a company called SamBoat that facilitates peer-to-peer boat rentals. After implementing our marketing strategy, I still feel there is so much more we can do. I was hoping to hear some recommendations or successful strategies that have worked for you in the past. Looking forward to hearing your responses. Thanks in advance!

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: Abernal Member since: Mar 6, 2018
  2. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

6,815 1,487
    Successful strategies are down to

• having a clear idea of your target market
    • understanding how to reach your target market
    • understanding which consumer and communications channels your target market uses
    • having a product that your target audience want and need, which sets you apart from your competitors.
    Strategies that work for other people won't necessarily work for you.

There is always more you can do if you have the time/budget/resources, but make sure what you are already doing is effective.

How are you currently evaluating the success of your marketing activities?

What online and offline marketing and advertising are you carrying out?

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Abernal

7 0
    Thanks for your insightful response @ethical PR ! As of right now, we're developing our email marketing strategy, partnering up with other startups for guest blogging, PPC, we have a good following on our social media accounts and we attend plenty of events. Our budget isn't enormous so we do have limitations on time and money. I agree that we have to understand how to reach our target market and we're working on discovering how our customers use different channels. Again, thanks for great advice.

4. ethical PR

6,815 1,487
    You are always going to struggle if you rely on mainly free avenues for marketing when you have a global (or certainly European wide product) aimed at those with money.

You need to look at paid for marketing on and offline - travel mags and website, PPC, advertising through third party marketing channels used by your target audience i.e. in the UK Waitrose and Boden would be likely to be relevant.

And invest in PR and promotions.

Have you looked at how other boat rental companies market their service? Have you looked at what other listing companies like Airbnb, Booking.com etc are marketing their services?

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  5. Abernal

7 0
    We just created a press release so we have been contacting several agencies, both paid and unpaid. As far as the looking at companies like Airbnb, we have been taking tips from them on how they market to their customer base. So i'm assuming we just need to take the next step and start investing?

6. Mr Singh

Mr Singh UKBF Newcomer Free Member

9 2
    I think you need to start with Google PPC for sure as that's the best way of advertising. Make sure you use the right people as PPC can cost you a lot if they don't use the right keywords and remove negative keywords time to time. It will also help you advertising geographically or age. And after that do same with Facebook. At beginning don't just throw the money away. Make tight budgets like £10 a day and see how it works and keep on changing it as required with right keywords. Good Luck

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: Mr Singh Member since: Jan 30, 2018
  7. Nochexman

Nochexman UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,596 258
    You are doing a lot of stuff; do you know how well each tactic is paying off for you?

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: Nochexman Member since: Jun 14, 2011
  8. Jason Potter

Jason Potter UKBF Newcomer Full Member

6 1
    Competitor and keyword analysis is key and then building rich content around targeted keywords.
    There are a lot of software options to carry out competitor / keyword analysis or you can employ a company (like mine ;) ) to undertake the research work for you.

Once you have identified target keywords, volume of traffic and competition you can then build a content strategy to improve organic SEO and influencer structures.

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: Jason Potter Member since: Mar 7, 2018
  9. Abernal

7 0
    Thanks for the advice! This is definitely something we need to expand on. What is the name of your company?

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: Abernal Member since: Mar 6, 2018
  10. Abernal

7 0
    Our PPC budget is relatively low right now, as you suggested, we are trying to experiment with different keywords and regions. I haven't really looked into Facebook yet, are the sponsored ads worth trying out? Thanks for the advice! @Mr Singh

11. Abernal

7 0
    Well, for the past few months we have been in our slow season. Our conversion rates have been very low due to the nature of the business, so we can't assess the effectiveness of each strategy. We've been using overall traffic as a goal and as the main metric, but now that we're in March, our conversion rates should begin to improve and we'll be able to better assess each tactic.

12. Paul Carmen

Paul Carmen UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

227 49
    The problem with PPC & SEO for a business with a large marketing reach like yours is it needs a scientific data driven process to analyse search terms & test what works, unless you've got a huge budget to start with this can prove tricky.

I've had a very quick look at your rankings purely from a UK perspective & your brand does not rank organically or via PPC for the sort of terms that get the volume (rent a boat <location>), or yacht related rental terms. Your pages also seem optimised for yacht first, even though boat terms search volume are much larger. Although this may be sensible if that's what you concentrate on renting mainly.

You're up against competitors with big budgets for PPC & tons of backlinks from great sources online for organic SEO. We'd need to know what area you're responsible for, as that brand seems multiple domains (.com, .es, .fr etc.) to really help you. In France it's completely different, as that appears to be where the company is based & the organic rankings are much better, plus quite a bit of PPC is being carried out.

What is your marketing strategy, are you UK only or do you look at all of it, if UK only do you share knowledge across Europe?

I'd suggest concentrating on the places you have the most boats, or have the most customers looking at this time of year to test the approaches. You can then carry out research via PPC, this can be used to hone what customers search for & then start SEO work to target these terms, as ideally you would want to rank organically for lots of this, or you'll always have to spend on PPC everywhere you rent to get leads.

The problem with PPC for competitive market niches is a small budget wont cut it, you need data to determine what's working & what's not. When I just checked a UK search for "boat rental greece" there are over 20 different adverts competing. For other terms like hire or charter there is much less competition. Unless you have the tools to analyse the search volumes, the conversion, the bounce rate, the landing pages & Quality Score of your PPC adverts you're really going to struggle, as you will be competing with people who are doing all this.

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: Paul Carmen Member since: Jan 27, 2018
  13. Jason Potter

Jason Potter UKBF Newcomer Full Member

6 1
    Hi My Company is Quay Websites, many thanks

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: Jason Potter Member since: Mar 7, 2018
  14. ethical PR

6,815 1,487

You can't use overall traffic as a metric. And if you can't assess the effectiveness of a channel you shouldn't be using it.

In terms of next steps, get a marketing/PR consultant on board (excuse the pun) who understand your target audience and sector. Get them to work with you to help you develop a marketing strategy with an action plan that clearly identifies which channel you should use and what activities you should be developing and as important how you measure the success of each activity.

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  15. Abernal

7 0

Thank you so much for your great insight. We have been using a few tools to analyze the performance of our PPC strategy and we've also been working hard to create solid backlinks. I think your advice for selecting a specific destination and testing the approaches is the most feasible for us. I think we're going to focus on that for a while and see how it goes. Again, thank you so much for your valuable advice, it is greatly appreciated.

Posted: Mar 9, 2018 By: Abernal Member since: Mar 6, 2018
  16. Mr Singh

9 2
    I am sorry I'll rather be honest that I don't have a company, I am freelancer.

Posted: Mar 12, 2018 By: Mr Singh Member since: Jan 30, 2018
  17. Mr Singh

9 2
    I think yes, it has worked really well for my clients so far.

Posted: Mar 12, 2018 By: Mr Singh Member since: Jan 30, 2018
  18. StevePoster

StevePoster UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

953 137
    Using PPC will only be effective if you are well experienced on how to do it properly or try to hire some professional to collaborate with you on how to implement your marketing strategies through the campaign.

Posted: Mar 19, 2018 By: StevePoster Member since: Nov 29, 2013
  19. Maya Catering

Maya Catering UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 1
    Very useful information in this post discussion. Thank you.

Posted: Mar 23, 2018 By: Maya Catering Member since: Mar 23, 2018
  20. jamesandjanie

jamesandjanie UKBF Contributor Free Member

33 3
    Not a single strategy work for every company. But I would say you should have a goal, target segments, marketing instruments that work for each segment.

Posted: Mar 23, 2018 By: jamesandjanie Member since: Feb 21, 2018