Ex Yell employee here with Google Qualifications!

Discussion in 'SEO, PPC and Online Marketing' started by aaron web designer, Aug 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aaron web designer

aaron web designer UKBF Contributor Free Member

51 6
    Hi guys

If anybody is having difficulty in setting up a successful PPC campaign then maybe I can help. I work at GForce Web Design, well I say work but I actually own the business! I previously worked at Yell as an Accout Manager and went through various Google exams to become certified.

So let me know if you require any help. I will be charging a percentage of your monthly budget as a fee as there is a lot more than people think to setting up a successful campaign, but you will definately get more enquiries.

Cheers!

Posted: Aug 1, 2016 By: aaron web designer Member since: May 11, 2016
  2. Marek Skoczylas

Marek Skoczylas UKBF Regular Free Member

236 92
    I suggest you to read UKBF TOS first, and move your post into marketplace section.

Posted: Aug 1, 2016 By: Marek Skoczylas Member since: Jan 4, 2016
  3. aaron web designer

51 6
    Friendly advice from a fellow SEO Expert :D (although it does come across a little rude) but yes you are right bud, my bad.

4. zigojacko

zigojacko I say it how it is Full Member - Verified Business

3,557 1,131
    Yell were probably one of the worst companies on the planet for doing anything related to SEO/PPC and all the staff I spoke to were absolutely clueless. Should have stuck to what they knew, making yellow pages!

Posted: Aug 1, 2016 By: zigojacko Member since: Dec 7, 2009
  5. aaron web designer

51 6
    Yep, which is why I left, they charge 40% of your actual monthly budget as a fee, set it up and that's about it, not really much maintenance unless you constantly ring them. The staff you spoke to are Account Manager so they were actually trained to sell and have limited technical knowledge. Yellow Pages was great but as times change they have tried to adapt. :)

6. Marek Skoczylas

Marek Skoczylas UKBF Regular Free Member

236 92
    I'm glad you said that first. Yell PPC packages was a wast of money.

Posted: Aug 1, 2016 By: Marek Skoczylas Member since: Jan 4, 2016
  7. zigojacko

zigojacko I say it how it is Full Member - Verified Business

3,557 1,131
    If you knew that, why are you mentioning Yell as if it enforces your credibility?

I don't even think the people that were actually implementing the work had any technical knowledge either. Yell ripped off a lot of UK businesses as many members here could tell you.

I hate organisations that think they can just suddenly start offering services in which they know nothing about knowing they already have a huge customer base to market these new services to so know they can generate so much revenue and not actually do anything helpful for their customers' business.

Posted: Aug 1, 2016 By: zigojacko Member since: Dec 7, 2009
  8. aaron web designer

51 6
    Yell has its ups and downs, smiles and frowns, they cant keep everyone happy. Naturally people vent their frustrations after a bad experience, overall there are far more happy customers on Yell. Year on year they are growing. If yell didn't offer these new services they will have to close shop, leaving around a 1000 employees with out a job, they kept up with the trend. Yes some of their PPC campaigns are poorly managed and their websites WERE rubbish, but they seem to be getting more new customers now than ever before.

I mentioned I'm an ex YELL employee because I thought it would draw up some attention! Which I suppose seems to be working.

On a side note, the best thing about Yell is their online yell.com directory as it appears on average in the top 3 positions of Google for most businesses in most areas. Such as Removals in (city), Dog Groomers in (City). Remember Yell is for small businesses, mainly sole traders.

9. macmacman

macmacman UKBF Regular Free Member

405 22
    Yep tell directory is pretty decent.

Jokes that they still try to sell the pages for what they always have. It's half the size!

Have a laugh and ask them if the book is dying... they'll never say yes.

Posted: Aug 1, 2016 By: macmacman Member since: May 31, 2007
  10. Hospitality_king

Hospitality_king UKBF Regular Free Member

219 23
    Yellow pages died years ago, that's why BT sold it! Its all gone niche now and that's where the successful advertising is these days.

YP became Yell.com cos the YP book was in trouble, and they thought they could charge expensive slots online and reach a bigger audience, but infact they simply peeved off advertisers when they didn't reduce fees, as the web was supposed to be far cheaper. Yell is still to this day far too expensive to be viable for anything but medium/large businesses who don't mind wasting £1000 here and there.

Problem is that YP only suits certain biz types eg: white van man, so Yell.com was created to plug the gap - boy did they get that one wrong, as they should have lowered ad fees. We used YP years ago and will never go back, Yell.com is too much to pay, even if it works, which it clearly doesn't.

We used Thomson directories too - was even worse than YP. The directory sector shifted over a hundred years ago into a new format - its called niche, which represents a huge UK input into the 5000 or so directories today.

To find decent advertising, one needs to search a lot! Trouble is everyone wants or assumes the quick result methods, they sign up to any directory, it doesn't work instantly or they just get a few sales from it, they then cry failure, quickly cancel the adverts, leaving them with nothing and they cant be found - obviously!!

People act too fast and think less and less - its a money grabbing, society we live in, unfortunately.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    Posted: Aug 4, 2016 By: Hospitality_king Member since: Jun 19, 2016
  11. Kat Haylock

Kat Haylock Community Editor Administrator

453 225
    @aaron web designer
    AsMarek Skoczylassaid, self promotion is prohibited for free UKBF members. If you'd like to post in our Marketplace, you can find details on account upgrades here
    I'll be closing this thread, so if you wish to continue the debate then please begin a new thread.
    Thanks!

Posted: Aug 4, 2016 By: Kat Haylock Member since: Jul 11, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.