Employing in Philippines - I'll never hire in UK again.

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by JohnnyCash, Feb 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Podge

Podge UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,154 367
    Can we come back to reality ;)

The problem I have with globalisation is I can see how it's affecting the members of society least able to provide for themselves. Yes I know you say there are plenty of opportunities, but those opportunities aren't available to all for any number of different reasons.
    Your rush to globalisation leaves suffering in it's wake and that's why I don't want to embrace it.

Posted: Feb 3, 2011 By: Podge Member since: Jan 13, 2011
  2. Consultant sea

Consultant sea UKBF Newcomer Free Member

227 48
    Some people don't have much of an option but to outsource as with the way things are now they may not have the money to employ any UK people or that their business wouldn't be able to function with the money vs manpower they can afford. This is one of the reasons they have to outsource. Been going on for ages with the like of big companies outsourcing Customer Services and the likes. It's not that they are giving UK jobs to foreigners as the company doesn't have enough money to employ the equivalent amount of UK workers. Better the small business paying the 20% tax on its profits than that small business owner on the dole queue too. What a world we live in.

In regards to Filipinos. I have employed and worked personally with over 30 in the past 5 years and they have a great work ethic. They are driven by money like most I guess and loved to work harder for more bonus. They are a very family oriented people and work to put their children into university/college and try and get them a good job and continue the cycle. Only thing I would question is some of their cooking! Pigs heads and all that but hey we're all just spoilt on imported M & S products.

Posted: Feb 3, 2011 By: Consultant sea Member since: Dec 31, 2010
  3. adventurelife

adventurelife UKBF Ace Full Member

2,040 620
    I am talking reality as that is what I live. For every extra 16 clients per day I gain I need an extra member of staff. That is UK jobs being created, jobs that cannot be outsourced.

To take the example quoted should I use 1 UK employee to deliver the clients that create jobs or should I use 6 overseas people and deliver many more UK jobs?

I see members of society every month that are a hundred times worse off than any member of UK society so I suppose it depends on what society you are talking about.

I would argue that the rush to globalisation is taking way more people out of suffering that it is putting people into suffering. Not having a job in this country is a bit different from not having a job in other countries. For example you still eat in this country and get health care job or no job.

Looking inward is no longer an option and for us in the west who have passports and education and support systems we have no excuse at all not to embrace what is happening.

Off course there will be winners and losers, there always is no matter what the deal. No one said life was meant to be easy it has just become that for many and hence why they will struggle to embrace the challenges that are coming.

Posted: Feb 3, 2011 By: adventurelife Member since: Dec 2, 2007
  4. Podge

Podge UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,154 367
    Ahhhhh now I see where we differ.
    I have a heart.

Posted: Feb 3, 2011 By: Podge Member since: Jan 13, 2011
  5. adventurelife

2,040 620
    Agree it has been pointed out that I am a ruthless bast--d on more than the odd time. However, normally by those who have never got of their backsides to help anyone else in their life.

I will be ruthlessly helping people in many countries this year as I do every year feel free to join me all help and donations are always grateful

Just $20 will educate a kid in Mongolia for a year. You can pay here Gobi2011 you feel good I get 2 months of pain.

Or later on in the year my team will be looking after 20 odd vets who have lost arms and legs in the recent wars again. All support welcome as it costs me a fortune each year.

I could go on but it may make me look like a soft touch so I will stop:rolleyes:

Posted: Feb 3, 2011 By: adventurelife Member since: Dec 2, 2007
  6. RedEvo

RedEvo UKBF Legend Free Member

6,007 1,533
    I've built a great team here in the UK although I've also got overseas suppliers I can tap into. I love the buzz in the office, I love creating employment and seeing people grow, I love our white board learning sessions, I love seeing jobs whizzing through the office that I don't even have to know about.

It's challenging, frustrating, skewed employment law drives me to distraction but in the end I love it. I like investing in people and unlike some I do care about the UK and do enjoy doing my bit :)

d

Posted: Feb 3, 2011 By: RedEvo Member since: May 12, 2007
  7. letterboxunlimited

letterboxunlimited UKBF Newcomer Free Member

199 45
    The problem is the UK does not care about you, its great to be patriotic and love our country but is it really worth being as keen when the chances are your tax money will be paying for a junkie or used to pay for a £100k missile to kill an 18 year old boy with a 35 year old gun in a country where they we have no chance of winning a war.

Take a leaf out of Philip greens book and keep as much as legally can and spend it on yourself , your family or if you really like a charity.

<Rant Over/>

Posted: Feb 3, 2011 By: letterboxunlimited Member since: Oct 7, 2009
  8. RedEvo

6,007 1,533
    I'm not being patriotic, I hate nationalism on any level, it's nonsense to me. I care about people, society and the bigger picture, wherever I am, and I'm here.

d

Posted: Feb 3, 2011 By: RedEvo Member since: May 12, 2007
  9. adventurelife

2,040 620
    Totally agree but l consider the world as my home and take the view that the more all 6 billion soon to be 9 billion of us improve out lot they better for everyone

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 By: adventurelife Member since: Dec 2, 2007
  10. Consistency

Consistency Banned

8,214 1,545

You probably knew I would thank you!!! Well said.

This country is going down the pan because it is being pushed down the pan. We would love to go down the route of employing like this but we need a physical presence. We cannot employ anyone from the philippines to come and do mobile patrols etc.

Going back some years I would have called you all the names under the sun for being someone who is selling us out to foreigners but there is nothing like experience. I can only now understand it. There is all the taxes, all the insurances, all the employment law where unless we have a solicitor by our side for all those little niggly bits that could have complications, we could really get into a lot of bother.

It is the ordinary white male, who is straight and fully functional that is now the underdog. There are all these tupe rights that is nothing but baggage. The longer someone has been in a place the more their feet are under the table and become rooted like a tree that is wrecking the foundations and are unmovable. We all know the types, the miserable gits who bring everyone else down but just have to be put up with.

I have every respect for you doing what is needed to run your business to make it financially viable. Years ago I would not have thought that way but we have to look after ourselves and if when we try and give "one of our own" a chance to come on board with our business, we get shot at and let down and have to pay quite a lot out to the detriment of our business then after quite a few times, the spirit will fade.

For me it has faded, I just want to stay small and employ as few as possible because it is just too much trouble. Whenever they leave for whatever reason they always seem to be entitled to something. Yet when we get shafted, we are not even entitled to an apology. It is saddening to our society indeed.

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 By: Consistency Member since: May 21, 2010
  11. JamesHall174

JamesHall174 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

314 61
    I think it is really sad, because a lot of people would love to support business in there own country but there are a number of things that are making it far more difficult to do that and stay competitive (and I stress 'more difficult' not 'impossible')

- globalisation giving more access to overseas workers and products
    - ludicrous employment laws, employees need protection but so do employers and the balance has swung far to far one way
    - the continued insistance of the previous government that creating a huge machine of employees on the state payroll and the destruction of the manufacturing industry by successive governments has left us uncompetitive and exposed to cheap imports
    - a laughable education system and a nanny state that produces people with no get up and go, no morals and no work ethic

Globalisation is picking up pace whether we like it or not. In my opinion, and it is only my opinion, there is a good chance the UK will end up as what we used to refer to as a '3rd world country' unless there is a radical change in policy and attitude which could take years and may come to late.

I love, no sorry that should have been loved, being British and living in this country. Now, on a regular basis, I feel embarrassed and despite not wanting to my aim is to make sure that I can get out of the country if things continue to slide.

I am not giving up hope but I am seriously worried where we are heading.

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 By: JamesHall174 Member since: Jan 5, 2011
  12. virtuallysorted

virtuallysorted UKBF Newcomer Free Member

632 183
    I wonder if any of the people demanding more rights for UK employees realise any of this? They are effectively pricing themselves out of the market and talking themselves out of a job.

What would be interesting is to allow employees to "opt out" of the protection of maternity leave, sick pay, holidays, minimum wage etc. rather like they do with minimum working hours legislation, and let them make the choice whether they want to work for a company who offers those benefits or for someone who doesn't.

Now ideally they'd want all those employee benefits and companies wanting the best employees would have to offer them. BUT there would be a huge raft of new jobs created by small businesses who would love to hire people but can't afford to have someone mess them about with employee benefits. And those employees without benefits would be better employees since they realise their value to the company lies in actually doing their job, not some sort of legal protection.

People always paint business owners as big, bad capitalists. I genuinely believe that most business owners are good people trying to do the best job possible, both as a boss and as a business.

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 By: virtuallysorted Member since: Jun 29, 2005
  13. RedEvo

6,007 1,533
    Have to agree. I'm sick and tired of the nonsensical polarisation of private = bad, public = good. I think this is perpetuated by career politicians (the Oxbridge PPE brigade) who have never even run a car let alone a business.

I think I'm going to stand for Westminster, all those in favour say aye!! :)

d

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 By: RedEvo Member since: May 12, 2007
  14. Amethyst

Amethyst UKBF Newcomer Free Member

77 3
    I am a foreigner in UK, it is my first time to see such a topic deeply into something about love or loyalty to own country.

I have been struggling a lot with those things guys are talking about. Yes, I love my country. Looking at our long histry and any good bits, I want to embrace it and I am proud of my country. But going into daily life every day, I feel and experience those bad bits, I am sad and unhappy. There was one day, I heard someone saying in a TV series story :" I do love my country but my country don't love me". I am so impressed by this and I have been thinking a lot about whether my country loves me.

I still love my country but now I am in England. It is nothing to do with whether I love my country, it is all about how I make my own life. If I have no money to afford my own life, I would be a burdon to my country; if I make my own life, and I have money, I would like to give some to help those poor in my country, no matter where I am.

Unfortunally, I am still struggling here and try to find way out. I am not the lazy one who has no shame living on other people's hard work.

As a foreigner, I heard many british telling me how hopleless this country is, and the main problem for this country might be the government is too kind to the lazy. Cost is not the problem, the problem lies in what we get is not equal to what we pay. If I become an employee here, if a UK people can give me a good work which deserves what I pay, I would really not mind employ them and I would be proud of myself for my contribution to this country; but if not, I would outsource from other countries. First things first, what is the first thing? It is to make myself move on reasonably!

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 By: Amethyst Member since: Jan 10, 2011
  15. JamesHall174

314 61
    Virtuallysorted - that is exactly the kind of sensible idea that I was referring to that could save this country from ruin.

I am a great believer in a fair day's pay for a fair days work and looking after employee's who prove themselves to be a valuable asset but what I don't want is people using legislation to hold me over a barrel! You are right when you say, not all employers are big bad capitalists and it is about time that some responsibility was put back on the individual to make their own way in life, mistakes and all, without the state running along behind waiting to catch them.

Unfortunately, good ideas dissappear under a mountain of EU red tape and nobody is willing to stand up and say, its our country and we are going to do what we want.

I honestly think we are heading for major civil unrest in the UK over the next couple of years if things don't start changing.

16. JamesHall174

314 61
    aye!!!!! as long as I can secretary of state for the workshy and feckless!! with a seperate mandate for ridding the statute book of stupid rules!!

17. virtuallysorted

virtuallysorted UKBF Newcomer Free Member

632 183
    AYE!

(And while we're at it, can we fire all the lollipop ladies who stand in front of traffic lights? If the children are too stupid to use the pedestrian button, then clearly Darwinism should be allowed to take over!!)

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 By: virtuallysorted Member since: Jun 29, 2005
  18. carolinebrown

carolinebrown UKBF Newcomer Free Member

16 1
    If you do not want to Employing in Philippines - I'll never hire in UK again.
    Then it is ok

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 By: carolinebrown Member since: Feb 4, 2011
  19. crossdaz

crossdaz UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,773 778
    Not in this instance becuase he's talking about freelancers.

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 By: crossdaz Member since: Sep 3, 2008
  20. Consistency

Consistency Banned

8,214 1,545
    With sense like that, we could do with you as an MP. A lot of common sense there. You would get my ote. Well said indeed, well said.

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 By: Consistency Member since: May 21, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.