Do you follow up?

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by alex360, Dec 16, 2017.

1. alex360

alex360 UKBF Regular Full Member

110 11
    Hi all

I thought I post this to hopefully help some of you. I work with a lots clients who are asking for advise on how to get new customers, close more contracts etc. When I drill down into the business 9 times out of 10 I found that they don’t follow up more than once on enquiries, proposals, marketing activities, fact is if you only follow up once then you be forgotten and it probably shows you are not committed to help your customers. Some clients tell me they don’t do it because they don’t want sound pushy, again if you believe your products/services will help your clients then you only wanting to help.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2017
    Posted: Dec 16, 2017 By: alex360 Member since: Nov 14, 2017
  2. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,249 1,063
    Never!

I don't understand the modern obsession with chasing customers / clients. Make your service so good that they are banging at your door, not so crap that you have to harass them to spend their money with you.

Have you ever actually tried relying on the quality of your product/service? I've done it. With multiple businesses. And you won't believe the amount of money that saves on marketing, advertising (and sales people salaries)! You also get a better quality of customer / client - people who respect you, pay in advance, sing your praises to their friends.

No it doesn't. What absolute nonsense! You not badgering and badgering a prospect is no reflection on how you treat customers. What a sneaky (and completely spurious) excuse for a justification that is!

If you have no respect for a prospect's time, you likely have no respect for customers' time either.

No, you're not. By chasing and chasing and chasing them you're displaying a desperation to get a sale, not demonstrating your wish to help them. You must think your target customer is pretty stupid to believe that!

Annoy me by pestering for my business and I'll blacklist your company before you can say, "I need to have some self respect!"

Posted: Dec 16, 2017 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  3. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

7,454 777
    Several times have asked companies to remove my contact details from their database as I find them too pushy regarding their services.
    Reject them once, whatever gives them the idea a month or two later I'll be willing to buy their product or service?
    There are several companies who, if I ever go for the service or goods they supply, will never get my business. Can do without them wasting my time.

Posted: Dec 16, 2017 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  4. alex360

110 11
    Interesting I think you didn’t understand my point, I am not talking about harassing people, i have worked for very large businesses where their customer ask for a quote the quote is sent but never followed, a follow up call is not harassment or desperation, you need to check if they are happy with the quote does it include everything they need. I recently request quotes for a project 2 of the companies send me a quote and didn’t bother following it up that mean to they are not interested on getting my business. Other example have you ever met people at networking events they take your business card and say I will give you a call? Honestly how many times have you received a call? I agree you services/ products needs to be perfect and if you have people knocking on your door all day long asking for your business good for you, but I worked for a very large and well known business and if they didn’t follow up they would have lost lots of business and they are a leader in their field.

5. Mr D

7,454 777
    A follow up call is fine. More than one just waste my time. You referred to following up more than once which I read as calling more than once.

Have had calls as a result of networking events 6 months plus later. Not everyone wants something immediately.

6. Clinton

3,249 1,063
    The problem is your refusal to accept that multiple "follow ups" is harassment!

It's not you who decides whether it's harassment, it's the receiver of the call/email who decides.

7. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

5,813 1,603
    I think it is fair enough for one follow up - just to check they received the proposal ( assuming it could have gone to the spam folder ) anything else (to me ) is a red flag

Posted: Dec 16, 2017 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  8. alex360

110 11
    We have different view and experience I guess. When I ask for quote I don’t chase it but the business that will follow up with a call to go over the details is more likely to get my money, of course I don’t say I want nor it’s good practice to call everyday. There are very specific way to follow up.

9. Mr D

7,454 777
    Yes, including not hassling the potential customer.

10. alex360

110 11
    Ok let explain what I mean when say more than once, sometimes you will call and your client can’t take the call, or he is on the train, they hadn’t had the time to read the proposal etc, that is where the problem lies 1 follow up and they stop without an answer, that will make more sense

11. Clinton

3,249 1,063
    I think you are backpeddling as fast as you can.

The intention in the OP doesn't seem to be about following up because the client couldn't be reached, it was about following up so they "don't forget you" (your words).

That is bloody annoying. Maybe what the client really, really wants is ... to forget you.

12. alex360

110 11
    I am not trying to arguments or backtracking I just explained better, I creamed the post to explain and help other maybe I didn’t explained properly, end of the day I have been very successful and I have helped lots of businesses very large one to small one. I am not for confrontation.

13. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

28,564 8,437
    If I ask for and receive a quote I will decide if I want to call you back. Sending me a follow up email or a phone call is a sure way to annoy me.

Posted: Dec 16, 2017 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  14. Mr D

7,454 777
    Don't think all that many will mind a follow up after that.

Follow ups are pretty common. Repeated follow ups are the annoying ones.

Had a guy earlier this year, exchanged cards at a trade show. He rang probably 5 times the following week each time leaving a message on the ansaphone all of which I was unaware of at the time.
    A further 3 times the following week and getting quite aggressive. Then I came home and got the wife to ring his boss.
    Still using the company as we had planned, just not anything to do with the individual.

15. Clinton

3,249 1,063
    That's great, keep up the good work.

And spread the message that businesses are better off increasing sales by improving their product and customer care, not by doing follow up after follow up.

16. alex360

110 11
    Your experience is excessive I agree, I explained later what I meant. I have witness lots business never doing any follow up after a quote was submitted one of then was making £200 millions turnover but with a loss when I talk to their customers 67% said they felt because they had no news from them after quotes where submitted they went with a competitor, their are following up on every quotes and they have noticed a massive difference on the number of projects they are winning therefore recovering from their loss.

17. alex360

110 11
    Thanks I realised maybe I didn’t explained properly first time. Enjoy your weekend

18. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

2,404 835
    You won't build credibility by backpedalling as soon as your point is challenged. Your point was obvious, and you must believe in the idea to start a thread to tell us about it. I get that English doesn't seem to be your first language, but don't feign misunderstanding if you have a point you want to make.

Posted: Dec 17, 2017 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  19. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

28,564 8,437
    You did explain it properly. People just don't agree with you.

Posted: Dec 17, 2017 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  20. Gecko001

Gecko001 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

2,379 374
    I am with Clinton on this one. I find it very annoying to get follow up calls. It does not impress me at all. Yes some large firms do it, but most do not. Those firms who do use follow up calls will try to put it across as "customer care" or a way of "helping you" which I find is pitiful.

Posted: Dec 17, 2017 By: Gecko001 Member since: Apr 21, 2011