Best Postage Solutions For Small E-Commerce Store Selling UK & Overseas

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by moorland72, May 5, 2015.

1. Justin Smith

Justin Smith UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

545 57
    I`m aware of that, but if we`re sending out a low value item where the carriage is as much as the product if the customer is prepared to take the risk of it getting lost I`m prepared to send it out cheaper. If we ever get a customer "ratting on the deal" then we`ll have to think again as to if we`ll offer that service, though that would be a bit unfair on the other 99% of decent honest customers. Life is unfair isn`t it......

Posted: Apr 12, 2016 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  2. wayzgoose

wayzgoose UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

773 113
    But the customer isn't taking any risk at all, you are. It's down to you to make sure the parcel arrives, not the customer.

Posted: Apr 12, 2016 By: wayzgoose Member since: Oct 9, 2007
  3. Justin Smith

Justin Smith UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

545 57
    If the customer is prepared to accept the risk that it might get lost ion the post that`s up to him. As has been said signed for is for the suppliers benefit, not the customers. If the item is worth £15 and it`ll cost him £6 to have it signed for many customers say just send it unsigned for and they`ll take the risk it gets lost in the post. As I keep saying, we`ve not had anyone rat on the deal yet.

Posted: Apr 12, 2016 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  4. wayzgoose

wayzgoose UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

773 113
    But the customer can say or read anything about the cheaper postage. But when it comes down to it, if it doesn't turn up, they are quite within their rights to say it hasn't turned up, please send another one.

Posted: Apr 12, 2016 By: wayzgoose Member since: Oct 9, 2007
  5. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,404 649
    There's no risk. If it doesn't arrive, the customer simply tells you to send another one or refund.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    Posted: Apr 23, 2016 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  6. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Ace Free Member

2,379 604
    FWIW, I'm of the opinion that when things go wrong Royal Mail's tracked & signed sucks..... this is because when it's overseas & things go awry, the Royal Mail will say "Yeah, it looks like there's a problem....you need to wait then make a claim" ...they add ZERO value - try telling that to the customer who is miffed that his order hasn't arrived. So as a seller, I'm then faced with sending another (& if the first item sent does turn up, the likelihood is I won't get it back & with then no option of making a claim) or the imminent & clear threat of negative feedback (due to making the customer wait).

All tracked & signed is good for is for tacking dodgy buyers why say their item hasn't arrived (which seems to be a national hobby in the likes of Italy)

Posted: Apr 23, 2016 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  7. japancool

3,404 649
    That's why you never send anything of value through the Italian postal system. Use a courier like UPS.

8. Pish_Pash

2,379 604
    there's obviously some secret club that I don't know how to get into, because when I ever get a quote from UPS for *anything* (either via parcel2go or via there website), it's about 3x the cost of royal mail & I have to lie down & adopt the foetal position.

Seriously...they might be fine for larger packages, but for anything up to 250g...they are off the scale.

Posted: Apr 23, 2016 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  9. japancool

3,404 649
    Right - but if pretty much everything you send to Italy goes missing, what does that end up costing you?

10. kulture

kulture UKBF Legend Staff Member

7,893 2,147
    I don't sell to Italy or Spain for just this reason. They are black holes.

Posted: Apr 24, 2016 By: kulture Member since: Aug 11, 2007
  11. Pish_Pash

2,379 604
    That's the point, I now send only 'track & signed' to Italy to stop chancers (who have taken delivery but then said it hasn't arrived - & it works, I get no such claims now).

What I meant earlier, is that Tracked & Signed is pretty much useless when a package genuinely hasn't been delivered (lost en-route).

Kulture ...agreed about Spain, in fact - in my experience - here are the worst countries...

Italy
    Spain
    Mexico/Brazil
    Vietnam/Thailand
    Turkey/Saudi Arabia

...you can pretty much factor on having a lot of problems to the above countries *unless* you send tracked/signed.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    Posted: Apr 24, 2016 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  12. Mark Burch

Mark Burch UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 0
    Hi.
    If you need help setting up the reverse side of logistics for international returns let me know as we can help you save money and hassle on handling returns in USA, Germany, France, Italy & Spain.
    Mark
    Ezi Returns

Posted: May 17, 2016 By: Mark Burch Member since: Jun 1, 2015
  13. Damian Rushworth

Damian Rushworth UKBF Newcomer Free Member

14 0
    we use dpd domestically and for Europe. if you have the volume they will negotiate some good rates. We managed to get heavily discounted rates for Europe even though initially we were not selling much abroad, I argued that with good rates we could grow our business, they agreed and both companies have benefited since.

Posted: May 24, 2016 By: Damian Rushworth Member since: May 20, 2016
  14. Mark Burch

Mark Burch UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 0
    Hi, I get asked this question a fair bit by some of my own customers (we do return services) and I recently came across a company called etail-USA. Their prices look to be better than Royal Mail for tracked services including small low weight items like yours So far all looks very good indeed for saving a lot of money each week.

Posted: May 24, 2016 By: Mark Burch Member since: Jun 1, 2015
  15. Parcelhub

Parcelhub UKBF Regular Free Member

234 18
    Depending on your daily volumes, office location and current eCommerce platform, we may be able to help.

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 By: Parcelhub Member since: Feb 9, 2015
  16. japancool

3,404 649
    That would be @KevinRockett .

Posted: Jul 21, 2016 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  17. japancool

3,404 649
    Meh. I tried to get a quote from you people for a few hundred a month and was basically told you weren't interested.

Posted: Jul 21, 2016 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  18. Parcel Monkey

Parcel Monkey UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Give Parcel Monkey a go, no need to have an account with anyone as we get the discounted rates from the couriers and out the orders on these. You can choose the courier you want like DPD or Parcelforce and track it in full until delivery. You only pay for the services you use, no sign up fee or minimum volume

Posted: Jul 21, 2016 By: Parcel Monkey Member since: May 12, 2016
  19. Mistahclarke

Mistahclarke UKBF Contributor Free Member

32 3
    What do people suggest is the best royal mail option? We used signed for, but they don't actually track it at all and lost packages can only be claimed at cost. We used tracked before but people just said they didn't get it and it was also lost.

I was thinking about My Hermes.

Posted: Aug 10, 2016 By: Mistahclarke Member since: Aug 10, 2016
  20. Mistahclarke

Mistahclarke UKBF Contributor Free Member

32 3
    What's the cheapest anyone has found for European deliveries? Our warehouse charge us £15 worldwide and we have to put this cost onto our customers. I've been askign them for months for a cheaper European alternative.

Posted: Aug 10, 2016 By: Mistahclarke Member since: Aug 10, 2016