Alternatives to PayPal?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Talktime, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Marbman

Marbman UKBF Contributor Full Member

43 4
    I offer both options TalkTime. I allow buyers to pay with paypal or they can use a credit/debit card via stripe. Just under 70% of people use the stripe option which does save me money but I like having the PayPal option on there too.

Do make sure though if you use Stripe that your e-commenrce platform conforms to Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) otherwise purchases from European customers might get blocked.

Posted: Feb 15, 2021 By: Marbman Member since: Jan 24, 2021
  2. Spur Support Services

Spur Support Services UKBF Regular Free Member

203 42
    With both PayPal and Stripe you can connect direct to Xero Accounting software, which then pulls through all the receipts and fee transactions automatically, without the need to extract a separate report.

If you then set up bank rules within the software, you can even streamline the postings.

I really recommend Xero. I love it and it has incredible flexibility in posting and reporting, plus as an accountant it has automations at the final accounts end, which saves me time, allowing me to keep my fees competitive.

Posted: Feb 15, 2021 By: Spur Support Services Member since: Aug 21, 2020
  3. CianGlic

CianGlic UKBF Newcomer Free Member

14 3
    You can do both. This is an easy way to automate your money towards alignment with your values if it is something you believe strongly in. No judgment here, just sharing my thoughts.

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 By: CianGlic Member since: Feb 5, 2021
  4. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

27,344 3,354

However in order to get a decent return on the money its useful to invest in companies that will both avoid collapse and be making profits in the future.
    Oil companies, turbine makers, battery makers, plastic manufacturers, alcohol makers and so on.
    Not forgetting of course amazon.

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  5. alanpro

alanpro UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 0
    We use stripe and paypal at the same time, the first is better for our company business.

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 By: alanpro Member since: Feb 2, 2021
  6. Simon-TP

Simon-TP UKBF Regular Full Member

125 29
    What platform is your website built on (WooCommerce, Magento, OpenCart, Wix etc)? This will determine to a degree which payment providers you can consider.

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 By: Simon-TP Member since: May 5, 2020
  7. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,790 651
    I agree, we always advocate Stripe above the likes of Worldpay and PayPal! Alex

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 11:19 AM By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  8. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,800 731
    I remember opening an account with WorldPay. Maybe it's changed now, but there were a number of documents and whatnot to provide before the account was approved, which took some time.

With Stripe, did it online, a few minutes and job done.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 11:22 AM By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  9. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,790 651
    Also Wordpay customer service is absolutely dreadful, much like PayPal. hence why I rate those 2 as the worst payment providers! Alex

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 11:26 AM By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  10. Guy Incognito

Guy Incognito UKBF Regular Free Member

230 35
    As pointed out on another thread, PayPal will move on fees if you put enough business through them.

We offer PayPal, Shopify payments and then also Klarna and SplitIt, basically the more ways we can give a client to pay the better!

Give PayPal a call, they will look at your account and maybe give you a discount. We were on 2.9% + 30p but it's now 1.4% + 25p and in 3 months that should come down to 1.3% + 25p.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 6:13 PM By: Guy Incognito Member since: Aug 2, 2016
  11. HostOX

HostOX UKBF Contributor Full Member

80 5
    We rid of PayPal 2 years ago, I am not sure who and why people still use or like them for merchant services, other people in similar industry have also followed suit and go rid.

Stripe is going to be the best recommendation, absolutely faultless for years on end, good fee structure and fast payouts non of PayPal buyer protection joke scheme or holds on your money - Just straight up business.

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 10:36 AM By: HostOX Member since: Aug 26, 2017
  12. DontAsk

DontAsk UKBF Ace Free Member

1,855 291
    There is a big difference between using PayPal for merchant services and simply accepting payment via PayPal. The vast majority still do the latter and have not ditched PayPal.

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 10:49 AM By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  13. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,800 731
    Because customers like using it.

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 11:11 AM By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013