A1 or a3 classification?

Discussion in 'Retail' started by Swannyk, Jun 14, 2018.

  1. Swannyk

    Swannyk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

    1 0
    Hi - this is my first post so hopefully in the right place! I am considering opening a pottery painting business in my local town. The unit is currently classified as a1 as it was previously a clothes shop. I would like to be able to serve hot drinks and light bites and also offer a takeout service ( at least for hot drinks). I have been told that I need to change the classification to a3 but I cannot find anything online to say that this will enable me to sell hot drinks to be consumed off site. Can anyone help? Many thanks.
    Posted: Jun 14, 2018 By: Swannyk Member since: Jun 14, 2018
  2. kulture

    kulture UKBF Legend Staff Member

    7,618 2,077
    Ask your local council planning officer. Let them know what the principal business is likely to be. For example is the selling coffee likely to be a sideline or the main income. It is your local planning officer who will decide whether to ask you to get change of use or not, and tell you how likely it would be.
    Posted: Jun 15, 2018 By: kulture Member since: Aug 11, 2007