Which e-commerce self builder

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by KeepMoving, Feb 10, 2021.

1. KeepMoving

KeepMoving UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Looking to build a webshop but needs to have the following

back in stock notifications
    Estimated delivery dates (not just 3-5 days etc)
    Discounts for qty product purchase

Would also like but not compulsory

“Last sold” or qty sold
    Product reviews
    Different languages
    Different currencies

would be sub 10,000 products selling worldwide

anyone recommend the best options that I can take a look at?
    Thanks

Posted: Feb 10, 2021 By: KeepMoving Member since: Mar 27, 2017
  2. nish

nish UKBF Regular Free Member

130 12
    WooCommerce, Prestashop and Magento are best opensource options.

Posted: Feb 10, 2021 By: nish Member since: Jul 15, 2007
  3. Trevor Andrews

Trevor Andrews UKBF Contributor Free Member

36 9
    I’ve used Wordpress for a charity site and book site and an online shop. You can always find good software like Woocommerce, there support us excellent. I also use a Wordpress host that can do programming so if need tweaks, they can do as I am not a programmer.

Woocommerce will do most of what you say in the basic package plus the shipping tables plugin.

Posted: Feb 11, 2021 By: Trevor Andrews Member since: Feb 9, 2021
  4. Phil Sproson Photography

Phil Sproson Photography UKBF Newcomer Full Member

21 7
    I have been really impressed with ecwid as I needed something that would not fit to the general functionality of one of our existing sites. Works like a dream in that instance. Very modern light interface, integrates with apps such as Shipstation should you need that.

Posted: Feb 11, 2021 By: Phil Sproson Photography Member since: Feb 8, 2021
  5. Paul Kelly ICHYB

Paul Kelly ICHYB UKBF Legend Staff Member

5,821 832
    Some good suggestions above, but whatever you choose, make sure it is self hosted and not a web based provider solution.

You have more control and protection if self hosted.

Posted: Feb 11, 2021 By: Paul Kelly ICHYB Member since: Jan 21, 2008
  6. Marbman

Marbman UKBF Contributor Full Member

43 4
    Definitely, as suggested by others, have a self hosted site, my choice would be Wordpress and combine this with a plugin such as woocommerce to provide the shop features you need.

I would also add in the Elementor page builder plugin to giving you more control over the styling of your site.

Posted: Feb 15, 2021 By: Marbman Member since: Jan 24, 2021
  7. Karimbo

Karimbo UKBF Ace Free Member

2,025 210
    if you can do it with a shopping cart CMS, do it. Nothing is worse than using woocommerce with loads of 3rtd party plugins, and then a plugin maker decides to no longer support it and you have to fix the broken bits on your website.

I would be inclined to agree with you a few years ago, when there were really bad options out there for hosted ecoms. Majority of them now allow you to use your own domain. If you have the power to control the domain, then there's no harm in a hosted ecoms.

I forgot what service it was, but one of them would register the domain under their name and if you want to part ways they would hold the domain hostage and ask you for a ridiculous release fee.

For those who dont have the technical know-how shopify is a good choice. It's only $30 a month IIRC.

I've used wordpress for the last 10 years so I am very familiar with it. But if I was completely green and logged into the back end of wp-admin with woocommerce and all the necessary plugins - My head would spin. That says a lot for someone from a technical background.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    Posted: Feb 15, 2021 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011
  8. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

34,014 10,102
    I wouldn’t. Elementor is slow and clunky and will kill your performance - which is now a core ranking signal.

Posted: Feb 15, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  9. Spur Support Services

Spur Support Services UKBF Regular Free Member

203 42
    If you are self building your site and trading internationally then you really need to be careful to select a software framework which will support VAT coding in multiple jurisdictions (remembering also that each US state is a different tax jurisdiction). This allow you to monitor thresholds as well as ensure that the right tax is paid in the right place.

You also want to consider how much automation you can introduce to the the information flows from site to reporting system. And here I am talking about the financial reporting software, rather than the operational reports mentioned in your post.

I would just say that review apps like Trustpilot can be integrated in certain apps https://uk.business.trustpilot.com/partners/type/apps

There are numerous website choices out there such as Shopify, Square, Wordpress, etc, but in addition it may be worth looking at Expandly and Xero, which deal with data management beyond the sales website

Expandly is very good at pulling all your sales and listings from various selling platforms, monitoring
    -Order status (FBA, Awaiting Payment, To be Picked, Picked, Shipped)
    - stock and
    - VAT rates based on rules embedded in Expandly
    and then sending summarised sales information to Xero.

If you already have all your products listed on your current platform, then it is easy to copy that inventory across to another platform, via Expandly

Xero's multicurrency version costs £6 per month more than the standard version, because it costs Xero £6 per month more to access the daily exchange rate data from XE.com. I do have some discounted subscriptions available.

Xero in itself is incredibly flexible, allowing you to maximise the integration and automation of your information flows and also helping accountants like me keep fees down, by further automations available in financial report generation.

Posted: Feb 15, 2021 By: Spur Support Services Member since: Aug 21, 2020
  10. Marbman

43 4
    I have only experienced the opposite to that fisicx

Posted: Feb 16, 2021 By: Marbman Member since: Jan 24, 2021
  11. Karimbo

Karimbo UKBF Ace Free Member

2,025 210
    Yeah I would like to know why elementor is slow, is the heavy padded out code? Or does it rely on loads of external stylesheets to work?

I remember Microsoft forntpage, if you copied contents of a word document onto frontpage. It would put so much html in there to make it look exactly like the word document. It was pratically undeciperable for the most competant HTML coder.

Posted: Feb 16, 2021 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011
  12. fisicx

34,014 10,102
    Elementor loads up external scripts and styles, dumps a whole load of classes on the page and generally bloats out the page. Run a test on your site with Elementor then switch to the 2021 theme and test again.

Posted: Feb 16, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  13. Marbman

43 4
    I believe Elementor cleaned up a lot of this in its last major update.

14. fisicx

34,014 10,102
    Have you done any comparison tests?

Posted: Feb 16, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  15. Marbman

43 4
    only on clients sites but admittedly they did not have a ton of pages using Elementor

16. fisicx

34,014 10,102
    Elementor by default will affect performance. One of the things Google looks at is the DOM and elementor nests multiple classes which affects web core vitals.

There really isn't any need for a page builder. Most browsing is now done using a phone which means you only need simple layouts - for which blocks are quite adequate.

Posted: Feb 17, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  17. Marbman

43 4
    I find the Gutenberg blocks most cumbersome and boring hence the reason for a more advanced system like Elementor.

Posted: Feb 17, 2021 By: Marbman Member since: Jan 24, 2021
  18. fisicx

34,014 10,102
    Then you haven’t used them correctly. In any case, this thread is about e-commerce, you don’t need Elementor for e-commerce. There are much better themes. That being said, I wouldn’t be using Wordpress for this project.

19. Marbman

43 4
    You may not want to use Wordpress but it was not you who asked the original question. KeepMoving asked "best options I can take a look at" and I gave my options. Other people in this thread have recommended Wordpress but you have jumped all over me and tried to discredit anything I say, Why? All I have done is give my honest opinion which is what KeepMoving asked for, it might be a different opinion from yours which is fine .

Posted: Feb 17, 2021 By: Marbman Member since: Jan 24, 2021
  20. fisicx

34,014 10,102
    Only your recommendation to use Elementor.

If you want to use wordpress, use a dedicated woocommerce theme. But looking at the original spec, wordpress is not the right platform for this project. It will work but to include all the functionality they want means adding in a load of extensions which will affect performance.