General Business Forum Brought to you by Total Gas & Power

What on earth is going on !!!

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Chris Ashdown, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

9,699 1,954
    Tonight I have paid £2.10 with free delivery on ebay for 4 small spring clamps, which is being delivered on the 7th from somewhere in England, there was 10 shops selling the same thing and I could have gone for the more expensive ones at £2.75 again with free delivery

However they pack them, it must be larger than the small letter rate

To be a Capitalist, do you also have to be stupid at basic maths and not able to understand the word profit, or am I just totally out of the modern world

Posted: Jun 4, 2018 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  2. Its4john

Its4john UKBF Regular Free Member

135 9
    Have a look at the business seller details. Are they Chinese ? Lots of Chinese sellers are shipping containers of tones of stuff then drop it in a uk warehouse from where it’s shipped out.
    I’m guessing minimum markup and maybe some tax invasion from some of these operators.

Posted: Jun 4, 2018 By: Its4john Member since: Nov 10, 2017
  3. alan1302

alan1302 UKBF Regular Free Member

158 28
    Someone trying to make a living on volume and making pennies per item - expect they won't last very long but someone else will take their place. If you look on eBay there is a lot like it.

Posted: Jun 4, 2018 By: alan1302 Member since: Jun 2, 2018
  4. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

10,204 1,073
    Royal mail account parcel the basic off the top of my head is £2.72 including VAT. With volume its less, with lots of volume its even lower.

Check the packaging when it arrives. Have heard over the years multiple instances of sellers sending some packages using large letter rate.

Posted: Jun 4, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  5. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

9,699 1,954
    Just think of the logistics to do this though
    • Load up a container of a few thousand from stock
    • Pay for container to port
    • ship to uk
    • Pay import duty
    • transport from dock to warehouse
    • Unload into warehouse
    • Place orders on EBay and pay fees
    • take money and label up goods

Posted: Jun 5, 2018 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  6. Mr D

10,204 1,073

Yes. However at times a seller can think of getting rid of old stock. May even reduce down to cost price. Still won't sell - maybe even drop below cost price.
    I'd expect that last to be rare, have had to do it myself with one range.

Would not expect someone to drop below the postage & packing cost price though if fiddling the postage.....?

Posted: Jun 5, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  7. Furqan721

Furqan721 UKBF Contributor Full Member

55 4
    Sellers from China Ruining ebay pricing!

Posted: Jun 5, 2018 By: Furqan721 Member since: Feb 26, 2018
  8. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

3,488 1,119
    Buy cheap you will only be let down
    One of those springs might break and wack you on the nose :eek:

Posted: Jun 5, 2018 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  9. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

7,600 2,956
    Not if he sits on it, it won't!

Posted: Jun 5, 2018 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  10. Mr D

10,204 1,073
    From a buyers point of view no.

As an ebay seller I've been competing with Chinese seller for years, no more a threat than American sellers.
    EU sellers are more of a threat as of course are UK sellers.

11. Mr D

10,204 1,073
    Cheap can work.
    Just replaced my mouse for the laptop last week, £4.99. The previous one lasted a mere 5 years, again a cheap mouse. Around £4 back then.

12. Furqan721

Furqan721 UKBF Contributor Full Member

55 4
    Hey,

I was talking about seller point of view. On ebay suppose, The thing we are selling, chinese sellers are selling the same product at like 50% of our price.

Their product may not be of the same quality but their photo shoot shows they have better quality and price is also half of what we selling. So buyers prefer them.

Posted: Jun 5, 2018 By: Furqan721 Member since: Feb 26, 2018
  13. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

382 44
    I assume they have a royal mail business account with drop off at local post office. Most Post offices do not check paperwork and quantity. They make some daily orders and drop off more than they pay for. Simple as that. I noticed it since I use a royal mail business account and their OBA system goes sometimes down I print a label for a parcel and drop it off to pay for it. On more than 1 occasion I had to fight to pay for it. Staff just took it and told me it is paid pair I said no they said yes. That happened more than once so I can assume if you drop of a royal mail bag at the post office pay for 10 but have 20 in there they wont even bother to check. Hence those sellers do not pay for postage at all or way less. Also they might sell below price to increase listing ranking and than bump up the price later and have it as marketing costs down.

Posted: Jun 5, 2018 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  14. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

382 44
  15. Mr D

10,204 1,073

Do they get all the buyers?

Better quality and lower price, what is there for buyers not to like?

Or do you get some?

16. Gecko001

Gecko001 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

2,800 441
    A couple of years ago I bought a set of replacement motor brushes for a Bosch circular saw. I thought ebay was a bit too expensive at about £5.00. - motor brushes are quite small and very low tech. I searched the Interweb and found a set selling at, I think, $1.25 including P&P on an American site. I ordered them paid by paypal. 92p came out of my paypal account Two or three weeks later I received the brushes in the post in a package with a green customs sticker on it in Chinese! I would imagine they were dropshipped from China by the US company I bought them from. The shoe leather used by all the people involved alone would probably cost more than I paid.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Posted: Jun 5, 2018 By: Gecko001 Member since: Apr 21, 2011
  17. Bronco78th

Bronco78th UKBF Newcomer Free Member

28 0
    I despise eBay (but sadly have to work on it) largely because of the way it allows the chinese sellers in particular to get away with murder.

Came across a gem of a listing last week. Iphone 6 over 1000 sales....dirt cheap.

The listing made a Big deal of being a UK seller in the subtitle and had gone to great lengths in the text to back this up.....shipped from UK warehouses. UK seller, UK VAT registered (thats a blatant lie, no numbers shown) etc...

Anyway scroll to the item specifics.....all in German...I kid you not. Ok so they are selling on ebay.de and its one of eBays long standing and incompetent technical faults...benefit of the doubt.

Description again all about how wonderfully british it all is.

Go to Seller profile "xxxxxxx is a retailer based in Hong Kong"

Reported it to ebay because its blatant lies....listing still online...."ebay can't disclose what action they have asked the seller to take" was what I received.....they don't give a toss about the trading rules being broken within the UK......they don't exactly pay tax themselves so screw everyone else as long as they get there 15% cut who cares what laws and tax dodging is going on.

I for one cannot wait for the day for eBay to crash and burn....the way they treat there sellers is a disgrace, most of the screens and systems are out of date or barely function (a text editor that works on all browsers would be nice eBay!) and the whole thing is just a shambles......considering the high fees as well.

Posted: Jun 5, 2018 By: Bronco78th Member since: Sep 1, 2017
  18. Dimo

Dimo UKBF Contributor Free Member

92 13
    Here's one option that's been employed in the past - not to be recommended - the seller uses counterfeit RM stamps, so postage is dirt cheap. There are lots of forgeries about, and now people are selling counterfeit booklets on Ebay at highly inflated prices to stamp collectors. o_O

Posted: Jun 10, 2018 By: Dimo Member since: Jul 23, 2007
  19. Mr D

10,204 1,073

As often the biggest online marketplace for 3rd party sales I can't see them crashing and burning any time soon.

They have improved a lot in past few years, 15 years ago they were pretty bad and was like the wild west. These days a lot more protection for buyers and sellers.
    Much to the annoyance of some sellers. :)

Now if you want high fees, try and auction house. Or amazon. Or a shop.
    Ebay fees are not bad, can make more from ebay sales in a day after fees than I can with a stall on a busy market.

Posted: Jun 10, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  20. Page

Page UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,542 265
    I have bought other items with the same baffling situation. Where we could not even post the item within the UK for what it has cost me and it has come all the way from China.
    Let along fund the channel fees and VAT and handling costs etc

My last and most spectacular one was a 7 day plastic pill box for 60p that is about 1.5cm deep

If we put this spectacular exception to one side then other things are still coming in below postage within the UK cost

Some of it might be maths errors - some of it might be new sellers looking to get established and some feedback behind them just like we used to do - or to give the product boost up the rankings before they put the price up - but I am not sure about that one being true on these mega cheap items because there are so many at a similar low price

I did wonder if it was a way of getting money out of China - and into the west

Related but to one side nearly every item I bought in the last quarter was either from Amazon themselves or a chinese seller with a UK VAT registration

Posted: Jun 10, 2018 By: Page Member since: Jul 28, 2007