Site nearly finished, feedback required!

Discussion in 'Website Reviews & Testing' started by Syd, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Syd

Syd Full Member

64 2
    Hi guys, I am entering a new project which will be installing epoxy resin flooring and I have quickly built https://www.resiprodesigns.co.uk, so far I have only built the webpage, what do you think? any constructive feedback? is the page missing something? go easy on me, I am not a qualified web designer and yes I know it's a standard WP theme but at this stage of business it would be silly to throw a few thousand at a pro build.

Ta, Ben

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 By: Syd Member since: Jul 6, 2018
  2. menetworkjadaltd

menetworkjadaltd Contributor

606 87
    Very professional looking, nice colours (although the white on light blue is a bit low on contrast)
    Makes me want a new floor

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 By: menetworkjadaltd Member since: Dec 14, 2011
  3. AllUpHere

AllUpHere Contributor

3,933 1,644
    You've got the right idea. I've seen a lot worse from pro designers.

Even the copy isn't bad, although it's aim is in slightly the wrong direction (and your English is a bit crap).

Pretty good as a first attempt.

Wordpress is more than suitable for your needs. You certainly don't need to blow a lot of money on a site for this project.

How are you planning to get visitors to the site? Do you have any sort of promotional marketing plan?

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  4. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

34,763 10,626
    What’s your marketing plan? How you market the business will dictate the content in the site.

On my phone i just see a lot of guff about different types of resin floor.

All the pages I’ve looked at are empty.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  5. Syd

Syd Full Member

64 2
    Hi Graham, I have only built the homepage so far, is seeing a lot of guff about different types of resin floor bad? care to elaborate?

I am awaiting on a marketing plan to be finalised by our marketing contact however it'll mainly (for now) be social media and google ads

6. Syd

Syd Full Member

64 2
    Thanks Alluphere, "although it's aim is in slightly the wrong direction (and your English is a bit crap)" please elaborate so I can make the changes thanks

7. WaveJumper

WaveJumper Contributor

2,044 517
    Looks very professional to me great job especially as you say your not a pro web designer. Ok yep check and re check the grammar remember sometimes less is more. are the photos yours as you don't won't to be running into any copyright issues. Best of luck with it and great looking floors.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 By: WaveJumper Member since: Aug 26, 2013
  8. Syd

Syd Full Member

64 2
    Thanks Wavejumper, yep all taken from shutterstock and other image sites that cost bloody loads, unfortunately as I'm yet to do any actual jobs I haven't got any examples, I plan to have a gallery of real projects in the future as this is all about "show me what the product is, show me the jobs you;ve done etc".

I must admit I'm not the best at writing content so I'll get someone to go over it, thanks

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  9. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

34,763 10,626
    In which case people landing on your site already know what you do and what they want. This means the homepage needs to simply show the different products each of which leads to a page where they can see the details, pick up the phone or fill in the enquiry form.

In fact, it's quite likely no one will ever see your homepage - the SM links and adverts will take them directly to the product page.

The product pages need images - lots of them showing the different styles. And take time to write explanations about how it works. For example, when you do my garage floor will there be a lip at the front?

And remember - almost everyone will be using their phone so make sure you are using one when you review your site

10. Syd

Syd Full Member

64 2
    Understood thanks! hope you are well :)

11. AllUpHere

AllUpHere Contributor

3,933 1,644
    I think you will need help with the changes but in the spirit of trying to give you something constructive, think about this.
    Why are people on the site? Because they want an epoxy floor.
    You don't need to sell the idea of an epoxy floor, visitors already know they want one. What you need to do is sell the idea of you being the best person to install it.
    At the moment your copy is aimed at persuading someone an epoxy floor is a good idea, but you do nothing to persuade them to contact you about it.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Syd

Syd Full Member

64 2
    Ah I see, great feedback thanks I'll get on it!

13. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc Contributor

1,925 694
    Be the authority on epoxy floors.
    Don't be 'we do epoxy floors cheap'.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. WebshopMechanic

WebshopMechanic Full Member
    Contributor

482 263
    Hi Syd,

Visually, the site isn't bad at all but it looks like the site page is focusing heavily on SEO with the level of content that is on there.

You need to think about how a potential customer would shop and what they would be looking for when they land on your site.

They want short, punchy messaging that tells them what you do, what's special about your company and why they should do business with you.

What is your unique selling point?

What's your elevator pitch?

What's your key message? 'We sell stunning epoxy resin floors' - Is this really the key message? surely that's just your opinion.

I always use the 'so what' rule. You install stunning epoxy resin floors......so what. Why do I need to buy one from you guys? Why not your competitor?

The key USPs on the page are meaningless.
    • Ultra modern - so what?
    • A wise investment - You would say that! :p
    • UV stable - So it should be
    • Bespoke - Isn't every floor?
    Sorry, I'm not trying to sound like a d**k. I just try to help people's websites create impact so, when a customer lands on the site, they are wow'd and want to pick up the phone.

You need to think less about the product and more about the benefit to the customer. They don't care about the product. They care about the transformation to their home.

They want to feel like their kitchen, bathroom or driveway will look and feel premium once the job is complete.

Here are some suggestions on how you can 'beef up' the homepage:

You need to communicate trust because many industries are full of sharks.
    • Are you a family-run business?
    • Customer testimonials / stories - Where are these? Have any yet?
    • Customer star ratings - Where are these? I know it's new but do you have any?
    • How many years experience? I assume you have some experience in a related industry?
    • Warranty - What is it? This will give peace of mind.
    • Video - I would create one because it will bring you, your company and your expertise to life.
    • About the team - An about section on the homepage lets people see who you are and that you're not hiding. Trust signal!
    • Contact form - You need to have a very clear telephone number (not just in the footer). Be approachable.
    • Live chat - Let people talk to you or send messages out of hours. Possibly look at Facebook messenger integration.
    • Offer price guide download - This helps to qualify time-wasters out and customers in. Being transparent on pricing ensures trust.
    • Offer a free brochure download - People won't stay long so give them some coffee table / phone reading for later. A download is a great way to gain a micro-commitment form them. Don't ask for an email outright. This will make them think they are going to get spammed. Be transparent. give them the option to download it or have a link that says, 'Fancy our brochure by mail?'. You can then subtly capture details.
    • Instagram feed - Social proof and proof of your work is key. Before people commit to using you they will want to see your handy work. You should feed your Instagram onto your homepage and services page. You should also have an on-site gallery with contact link and reference against each gallery image.
    Once you are more established then you should talking about happy customers and showcasing customer case studies.

Hope that helps.

Matt

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 By: WebshopMechanic Member since: Apr 27, 2017
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

34,763 10,626
    But everything comes back to marketing. People don't want a resin floor. They want want to revamp their kitchen and will consider an alternative to tiles.

I've got an oily, cracked floor on my garage, what can you do to make it shiny? Do I have to dismantle all the benches and shelves first? Will my garage door still close? I don't really care what you do, I just want it to be better.

Sell the sizzle not the sausage.

Don't focus too much on the homepage - get the words and images up on the product pages.

As an aside. when I saw the URL I thought you were some sort of website design. I then thought it was a medical thing - because I read 'respiro'

And the theme you use doesn't really matter. Key is to make sure it's really good on a phone - right now yours isn't. But that because of how Astra works.

16. Syd

Syd Full Member

64 2
    Thanks Graham, how can I make it better on a phone please?

17. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

34,763 10,626
    Forget about the homepage for now. Focus on the product pages.

The homepage needs columns so you get more on the screen above the fold. See the theme in my sig to see what I mean.

18. Fagin2021

Fagin2021 Full Member
    Contributor

353 225
    Nice work Ben - and what beautiful floors. Makes me quite envious.

I viewed your home page on a 27 inch monitor (1920x1080) which isn't particularly big nowadays.
    The page expanded to fill the screen and most of the flooring part of the image was invisible. The white text moved into a light background and could barely be read.
    You might want to think about using a 'max-width' property to limit the size of the pages.

The Chrome browser has a handy facility in Developers Tools. You can simulate various devices and screen resolutions to test your design. At some resolutions your home page looks great. At others it's a bit of a dog's breakfast. I'd get that right before filling up your blank pages.

Good start though.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 By: Fagin2021 Member since: Jan 27, 2021
  19. Lucan Unlordly

Lucan Unlordly Contributor

2,421 467
    Sorry but I'm inclined to disagree at this stage.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 By: Lucan Unlordly Member since: Feb 24, 2009
  20. Lucan Unlordly

Lucan Unlordly Contributor

2,421 467
    1. Get the WOW factor with an epoxy resin floor or countertop by ResiPro Missing from headline?

2. epoxy resin will last much longer than old out of date flooring materials. (Needs qualifying - will it outlast Marble?)

There's a fair bit more you can tweak but nothing world changing.

Good effort for a starter website. I've a flooring advertising manual from 1980 that has hundreds of key lines and suggestions for copy that sells. I'll dig a few out and post later.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 By: Lucan Unlordly Member since: Feb 24, 2009