Should we (inventors) use a VPN?

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by richard256, Sep 5, 2018.

1. richard256

richard256 UKBF Contributor Free Member

78 2
    Hi. I'm basically an inventor (recently) and I spend time searching for appropriate products and technical and other articles that help me build prototypes.

Should we inventors use VPN, so our web searches and places we go to cannot be tracked? Thanks. Rich

Posted: Sep 5, 2018 By: richard256 Member since: Apr 4, 2008
  2. Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

746 182
    I suppose that depends... who are you trying to hide from? What are you trying to achieve?

In general securing your connection is a good idea, particularly when using public wifi. But there are so many variables to this so it really depends on the above, plus what kind of 'VPN' you're using - for example if you're using a commercial VPN service rather than setting up your own private VPN, can that service provider be trusted any more than your ISP?

Posted: Sep 5, 2018 By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
  3. SteLacca

SteLacca UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

941 178
    I always use a VPN (self-hosted) when I'm out and about. I want to freak the government spies out.

I also host my own email server and cloud storage, for the same reason.

Posted: Sep 5, 2018 By: SteLacca Member since: Jun 16, 2016
  4. WESH.UK

WESH.UK UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 4
    Hi Rich

Unless what you are searching for or inventing is illegal, then no, it would be a total waste of time.

The only people you would be hiding your searches from are potential wifi snoopers.

Even your ISP wont see what searches you are carrying out if your using normal https, all they will see is which URL you go to, such as google dot co dot uk, but not your searches.

Don't waste your cash, save it for the inventions and the coffee :)

A VPN is only really of any use to those using internet connections that they cannot control, such as free Wi-Fi, to prevent their data being intercepted by snoopers.

Sorry to disappoint but unless you are upto illegal activities, the government really don't give 2 hoots about your online activities either. They don't even have the man-power to monitor the ones they do care about.

Regards
    Rich

Posted: Sep 5, 2018 By: WESH.UK Member since: Aug 11, 2018
  5. dexterash

dexterash UKBF Newcomer Free Member

20 3
    Unless your "web searches" mean direct accessing websites (via offline gathering of contact) or some other ways, your web searches will be logged - with or without a VPN - by the search engine you are using.

Posted: Sep 6, 2018 By: dexterash Member since: Feb 15, 2016
  6. SteLacca

941 178
    duckduckgo don't log.

Posted: Sep 6, 2018 By: SteLacca Member since: Jun 16, 2016
  7. alan1302

alan1302 UKBF Regular Free Member

119 21
    Don't worry they already know ;-)

Posted: Sep 6, 2018 By: alan1302 Member since: Jun 2, 2018
  8. dexterash

20 3
    Actually they do, but they do not tie it to a specific identification form (acccount, IP etc).

Straight from their website:
    "Your search history is safe with us because it cannot be tied to you in any way."
    duckduckgo .com/privacy#s2

So there is a search history.

9. SteLacca

941 178
    Accepted, but not sufficient that it should concern anyone.

Posted: Sep 6, 2018 By: SteLacca Member since: Jun 16, 2016
  10. dexterash

20 3
    Could be a problem if the search history is linked into a "bucket", even without an identifier or an anonymous/random identifier.

You could check this research (yes, it's related to browser history, but the same could be applied to search history logs stored by a service provider - it's a complex matter, but there is a chance you could be identified only by your search history):
    http:// randomwalker.info /publications/browsing-history-deanonymization.pdf

11. Richard Patey

Richard Patey UKBF Contributor Free Member

31 0
    call me paranoid but everything I do is through a VPN :)

Posted: Sep 15, 2018 at 4:46 PM By: Richard Patey Member since: Sep 15, 2018
  12. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

327 37
    Since when can VPN connections not being tracked and data stored about usages saved as well.

Posted: Sep 16, 2018 at 9:17 AM By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  13. Inva

Inva UKBF Regular Free Member

129 15
    You can use the TOR browser and it's free. VPN is useful if you want to appear from somewhere else, but in that sense it hides you from your target more than from your ISP. For example, if an IP/URL is blocked in your country, you can't access it even with VPN. But with TOR you can.

For searches use www.startpage.com

Posted: Sep 16, 2018 at 6:33 PM By: Inva Member since: Aug 10, 2018