Shopify or BigCommerce?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by HC-Samuel, Jun 25, 2019.

1. JamieM

JamieM UKBF Ace Free Member

2,283 344
    You don’t need an app for variants in Shopify. You just add them in the product page.

Posted: Jul 1, 2019 By: JamieM Member since: Mar 22, 2006
  2. HC-Samuel

HC-Samuel UKBF Regular Free Member

198 10
    Yep I know that but thats about it. I can't offer things like UK plug (radio box) or extra warranty checkbox etc etc without extra apps.

Posted: Jul 1, 2019 By: HC-Samuel Member since: Jan 14, 2007
  3. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,717 9,010
    Then I agree magento is totally overkill.

Shopify isn't going to deliver what you want so bin them off the list. Bigcommerce might do the job but as I said before, I found it very restrictive.

I'll point back to woocommerce again. For a low number of SKUs it's ideal and setting up variants is a doddle. If you want someone to look after it for you to keep it all updated there are plenty of providers. All you have to do is manage the orders.

Posted: Jul 1, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  4. philipking2019

philipking2019 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

17 2
    From my personal experience, I think Shopify is better. Also, you can compare the Pro and Cons of the two, which soloves the problems that bother you greatly.

Posted: Jul 4, 2019 By: philipking2019 Member since: Jul 4, 2019
  5. daniel75

daniel75 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 0
    I personally prefer BigCommerce.

Posted: Jul 7, 2019 By: daniel75 Member since: Jul 2, 2019
  6. HC-Samuel

HC-Samuel UKBF Regular Free Member

198 10
    We have decided to discount Shopify. I found that everything seems to require an app and the costs are mounting up with the functionality we need.

Currently we are testing BigCommerce and looking at options for a managed Magento instance.

Posted: Jul 7, 2019 By: HC-Samuel Member since: Jan 14, 2007
  7. OhhEnnEmm

OhhEnnEmm UKBF Contributor Free Member

52 4
    Can I ask, why not WooCommerce? Just out of interest.

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 By: OhhEnnEmm Member since: Nov 6, 2018
  8. elsnermagento

elsnermagento UKBF Newcomer Free Member

11 0
    Shopify

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 By: elsnermagento Member since: Jan 23, 2019
  9. Oryza

Oryza UKBF Contributor Free Member

33 1
    Hi, we started with shopify a couple of years ago but moved over to Bigcommerce in the new year because as mentioned elsewhere, EVERYTHING with shopify needed an app, plus numerous other issues that we seemed to be battling every week.

Also another reason was the shopify payments which take a few days to deposit, we use square with Bigcommerce and funds are available the next working day, or instant if you want to give them an extra 1%.

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 By: Oryza Member since: Jul 20, 2019
  10. EddyRock

EddyRock UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 2
    I prefer BigCommerce to Shopify. Their supportive service is much better than Shopify. I also totally agree with @fisicx, WooCommerce is very suitable for startups (< 10k SKUs) and much better in CMS, SEO, you can fully control your store too.

There's a shopping cart migration service named Next-Cart, you can ask them which eCommerce platform their customers usually choose to move to. I assume it's WooCommerce.

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 By: EddyRock Member since: Jul 23, 2019
  11. AndrewJhnsn333

AndrewJhnsn333 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

21 1
    As I see it, BigCommerce is a more advanced solution that suits growing and large businesses better. Shopify, on the contrary, offers more differentiated pricing plans, which can be a better match to a small or mid-size ecommerce.

Posted: Aug 1, 2019 By: AndrewJhnsn333 Member since: Apr 22, 2019
  12. Sabrina Sedicot

Sabrina Sedicot UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    There are millions of different considerations when it comes to choosing the right eCommerce platform for your brand’s online store. How can I drive conversion? Which platform is the most customisable? What about SEO? How much is it going to cost? To help you out, I’ve put together a brief guide to choosing the best eCommerce platform for your business.

1. Shopify

The best website builder for small businesses, Shopify is a great place to start for ambitious brands launching to market. It’s easy and it’s fast, which is one of its main benefits. They’re also something of a favourite with Millennial targeting brands – Kylie Cosmetics, Skinny Dip and Bootea are all sailing the Shopify ship. You can choose from over 100 free, fully responsive store themes with the potential colours, imagery, and fonts with ease. No design skills required. It’s a great option for brands at the beginning of their journey without loads of time or budget to allocate to design. It offers a comprehensive dashboard to help you make sense of your data. They also put out a huge amount of helpful content in the form of advice and guides to making the most out of your online Shopify store.

2. BigCommerce

It is a great customisable eCommerce solution that allows you to create a fully functional online store. Low-cost is one of the advantages of BigCommerce, where pricing starts at $14.00 per month. If it goes to payment gateway options, BigCommerce is way ahead of its competitors with more than 60 plugins available. You can also choose from a wide range of free templates that can be easily customised. The main features of BigCommerce include abandoned cart saver, integration with eBay and third-party blogging tools, as well as buying domains directly.

To conclude, Shopify is a great option if you’re just launching on the market, with its easy backend that doesn’t require a lot of customisation and development work. Saying that, we are restricted on what we can do and what we can customise in Shopify. BigCommerce is also a reasonable solution for a quick setup, offering more customisable eCommerce, where several items can be modified. Depending on your requirements and what you expect from your online store, there are a lot of eCommerce solutions that can be found on the market.

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 By: Sabrina Sedicot Member since: Sep 27, 2018
  13. philipking2019

philipking2019 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

17 2
    I tried both of them. I prefer to Shopify. The Themes are great and service is good.

Posted: Sep 2, 2019 By: philipking2019 Member since: Jul 4, 2019
  14. RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE)

RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE) UKBF Regular Free Member

196 17
    We are currently using both.

Shopify store: www.rsrmoto.de
    Big Commerce store: www.rsrmoto.com

Shopify is better, I don't get why the guy upthread thinks Big Commece support is better. It is not. Big Commece staff are slower to respond and faster to send you links to guides that don't answer your questions. Shopify guys will stay with you, and send you personal video instructions.

Also we have had problems on mobile on Big Commerce. Both themes are inhouse themes, so the finger points at Big Commerce. You might still notice the issues if you check both sites out on mobile. We also had a theme update issue with Big Commerce. I think they sent us an email telling us how much better the theme will work after the update. The email did noy say it would delete all the custom work you did. And we are not web tecchies, like the guy with the clangers avatar, always telling everyone to go Woocommerce. If you are busy answering enquiries, packing boxes, ordering stock and supplies, managing channel listings, avoiding nasty feedback, managing returns, doing accounts, driving to the courier, checking stock in, cleaning the warehouse, etc, the last thing you want to have on your plate is web development. Both Big Commerce and Shopify are easy to use, the same in that context. Woocommerce is not. Either you need to roll your sleeves up and learn it or you will be paying consultants all the time for structural or design changes. Certainly there are limitations to both Big Commerce and Shopify. But you will get nice functioning website on either of them much faster than if you go Woocommerce but don't know how to use it. We would nee dot be turning over double, maybe 1.5 million to consider Woocommerce, because I would not do it without a staff member that was responsible for managing it. And I cant afford that extra staff member when Shopify only costs about 100 a month and I can manage it myself.

One big thing about Shopify, if your country cannot use Shopify payments, like ours could not in Germany until last year, then they are going to take 1% of your sale if you use outside payment providers. Not sure what the situation is now worldwide. But now we use Shopify Payments, which works well

Posted: Sep 6, 2019 By: RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE) Member since: Dec 8, 2017
  15. Elle Rish

Elle Rish UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 1
    We are currently using Shopify, with almost all our dropshipping stores. It works well, needs to have the proper tools and you're all good. Not sure about BigCommerce since we haven;'t

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 10:23 AM By: Elle Rish Member since: Aug 2, 2019