Shopify or BigCommerce?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by HC-Samuel, Jun 25, 2019.

1. HC-Samuel

HC-Samuel UKBF Regular Free Member

198 10
    I was wondering if you have used BOTH of these services or switched between these services which one you prefer and why? for example why did you switch etc?

We currently have a Magento 2 site and we're just looking to move to a more managed platform.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 By: HC-Samuel Member since: Jan 14, 2007
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,719 9,011
    Posted: Jun 25, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. HC-Samuel

198 10
    Put simply because thats what we have narrowed it down to :)

Based on feedback & reviews, support, feature set, documentation, integration and growth paths.

4. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

16,082 1,795
    Nothing wrong with being the top 5 results in google search...

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  5. fisicx

30,719 9,011
    OK.....

I used both and found them to be very restrictive. Things I wanted to be able to do I couldn't because their business models didn't support certain functionality and you will struggle to add filters.

Which is why I keep coming back to woocommerce. It does need some care when setting up but it outperforms all managed platforms - mainly because it's so flexible. And you have control. And it's free.

But if you are intent on handing over you business to someone else - use shopify.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  6. HC-Samuel

198 10
    Sorry could you explain in a little more detail about what you mean by this?

7. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

16,082 1,795
    Multiple sites, multiple services. Spread your focus around, spread the risk a little.

Or put all your eggs into one basket and watch that basket closely.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  8. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,389 584
    When you say more managed platform, what exactly do you mean? Alex

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  9. HC-Samuel

198 10
    One where I do not need to worry about the following things.

1. The hosting and the potential for server upgrades to break the site.
    2. The need to have to continually update the site to the latest core version application.
    3. That when we do update the core version that the 3rd party developers have done their job to update the extensions to support that new core version quickly.
    4. When both the core version and the extensions are updated that the changes required to both still work with our template/design.

Don't get me wrong I can see the benefit of self hosted applications such as the ability to customise and the ability to add features that otherwise the SAAS platforms don't offer or can't support. I could get a company to manage all of this for me BUT when you start looking at the costs for that it starts to add up and is it worth it in the end?

I am a cloud hosting technician by day so I have a very technical mindset and background and I can troubleshoot PHP, mySQL errors etc. Go in and update PHP scripts to add functionality and what not, but the problem is I am find I am doing more and more maintenance now rather than concentrating on the business itself and pushing that forward.

Thats what has ultimately brought me to this crossroads.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 By: HC-Samuel Member since: Jan 14, 2007
  10. antropy

3,389 584
    Well that is Shopify in a nutshell so I think you have an answer. Alex

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  11. HC-Samuel

198 10
    Yes :) but the question was more one of Shopify or BigCommerce and if anyone has used both and what their experiences where etc with each.

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 By: HC-Samuel Member since: Jan 14, 2007
  12. fisicx

30,719 9,011
    I've used both and became increasingly frustrated with both.

If your worry is about all the updates - pay someone to look after it for you. It's what I do for my clients and we have never had a crash, collapse or other breakdown.

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  13. JamieM

JamieM UKBF Ace Free Member

2,283 344
    I've used both and can't remember why but I didn't like BigCommerce. Been using Shopify for multiple sites for maybe 5 years or so and can't really fault it.

Have you had a play around on the free trial for both?

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 By: JamieM Member since: Mar 22, 2006
  14. HC-Samuel

198 10
    Yes in trial with both currently, at the moment I am swayed towards BigCommerce so far, I prefer the configurable url structure and the site promotions seem stronger but keeping an open mind.

Just was looking to hear some real world use experience.

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 By: HC-Samuel Member since: Jan 14, 2007
  15. antropy

3,389 584
    I think out of two I would sway towards Shopify but that is just my opinion. Alex

Posted: Jun 28, 2019 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  16. HC-Samuel

198 10
    Out of interest what makes you say that @antropy

Posted: Jun 28, 2019 By: HC-Samuel Member since: Jan 14, 2007
  17. antropy

3,389 584
    The main reason is with Bigcommerce, your sales are limited to $50,000 on the 'Standard' plan, $150,000 on the 'Plus' plan and $400,000 on the 'Pro' plan. All these limits are calculated on a trailing 12-month basis. There is no such limit for Shopify. Alex

Posted: Jul 1, 2019 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  18. HC-Samuel

198 10
    Yeah I saw that but I guess Shopify offsets that with the fact that it seems that for simple features it needs an app which for us seems to be really pushing the cost up and up, BigCommerce seems to have a lot of functionality built in.

How I am looking at it right now is that the rates for payments on Shopify are inherently higher if your on their cheaper plan 2.2% + 20p vs 1.85% + £0.18 on the cheapest BigCommerce plan.

Of course if I wish I can use my own payment provider if BigCommerce supports it without any further transaction fees but with Shopify there is an additional 2.0% on their lowest plan.

I think for us its basic things like Options and Variants. For example some products we sell only have a Euro plug so we need to be able to offer a UK plug to UK customers and Shopify makes things like that hard since it needs a separate app meaning its a double screen to add a product.

Not made our mind up yet BUT we're at a stage where we are looking as possibly looking to take on a company to manage our Magento OR BigCommerce. I think the app centric approach that Shopify has put me off.

Posted: Jul 1, 2019 By: HC-Samuel Member since: Jan 14, 2007
  19. fisicx

30,719 9,011
    What sort of products are you selling? And how many are there?

Posted: Jul 1, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  20. HC-Samuel

198 10
    Electrical products at the moment we only have about 250 SKUs and some of those are variants (mostly colour).

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Posted: Jul 1, 2019 By: HC-Samuel Member since: Jan 14, 2007